Brightest MagLite upgrade? K2 at 6.5W, 130Lumens?

Gaffle

Enlightened
So essentially, I need to wait on that LED drop-in? I have 2 4d mags and 1 2d mag just collecting dust.

It is amazing to see the runtime plot on FlashlightReviews of the led module compared to the standard bulb. I wish there was a plot of the K2, and then I would need a plot of the Cree, and then etc...:ohgeez:

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Whats the best 2D cell drop in today as far as brighness, I assume its one of the 3 cell units that would just put out less lumens in a 2D. I could buy today and upgrade to Cree drop-in later.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your talking about a 2D Maglite, I'd say it would probably be the one they make themselves, Terralux's TLE-DB3W or the Diamond 3W. If your talking about any regular 2D PR2 bulb flashlight, then probably be the EverLED...

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
ace0001a - Thanks for your kind words. We work very hard here to get out the best possible product, as quickly as possible and at the best price and it's nice when someone notices. :)

Brighteyez - I don't know about the person who claimed to be from Diamond but I obviously work quite closely with TerraLUX and have dealt directly with the owner of Diamond any number of times as we supply some batteries to them were buying their LuxV drop-ins for a while. Because of these relationships I'm obviously privy to a lot of information and I know the nature of their relationship with regards to the DB3W - much of which is note mine to relate but as it stands - neither one of them is building for the other. TerraLUX modified the original Diamond design and is doing their own manufacturing and Diamond continues to build their own units seperately.

The information on this site isn't perfect. I see mis-truths and half-truths repeated as facts on such a regular basis here that they become dogmatic. There are some very knowledgeable, smart people on this forum to be sure but, like on so many internet forums, the mob mentaility prevails. My choice is clear; avoid it, as many manufacturers and merchants do, or join it and try to be one of the many people raising the level of knowledge where I am able to. I think the choice I made is obvious.

I replied to you earlier in the thread to help clarfiy the topic not obfuscate it further. If one of the folks who's posts you reference wants to join let them - but I'm here now telling it to ya like it is. :)

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
yep got it and like it just fine realy im looking at it as a super mag drop in and not a light saber
my problem was no drop in led fro 6 cell now i have one soo alll is good
i cant tell you much about performance im using up the half dead cells that were in the light no need to change them just because
its bright to the pioint that a friend with a 6d cell was like "wow that is bright"

do i want more power
sure im a man and if it means i need a Al reflector and glass so be it they will be the next things

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
If a 3 c battery mag uses this 6.5 watt replacement, will the beam be the same as if it were put in the 3 d cell lights? Do the extra batteries matter for power of the beam or duration, or both?

thefish

Enlightened
Yes a Cree XRE running in a 2D M@g with a CC boost driver @ 1W would be so great... oh ya that is what I am trying to build right now :rock: I have the M@g, I built the CC driver, I have a heatsink on its way, now just to get a XRE and some kind of lens...

Last edited:

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
What I mean is, if I buy that particular 6.5 watt replacement bulb and stick it in a 3 c cell mag, would I be getting 130 lumens???

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery size, c vs D will not effect output, just runtime. To get 130 lumens you'll have to be a luxeon lotter winner, if you set a ,ore reasonable expectation of 100-110 you're more likely to be satisfied.

The TerraLUX MaxStar5 features regulation so you'll get a steady output rather than one that decline as the battery voltage drops as you'll have with the diamond unit which drops 1/2 of it's lumens within the first few minutes according to quickbeams review on FLR.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with any mag drop-in is managing heat. For luxeon based emitters, it seems manufacturers are running up against a 2.5-3W limitation.

If you want to get 130 lumens, you're going to need to go with a Cree XR-E which will provide more lumens for the same driven wattage. The only problem is they don't focus properly using the stock maglite reflector.

Therefore, if you want throw from just a drop-in, the best you can do is probably a K2. But don't expect 130 lumens, 70 is more likely.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, He wants a drop in - there's no such thing as a Cree drop-in. The Cree doesn't play well with traditional parabolic reflectors and may likely never be a great drop in because of that. For my part I'm heartily sick of every thread here turning into a 'what if it had a Cree thread.' The Cree's lifespan and reliability are still unknowns, there's not one real commercial product on the market utilizing it and outside of these forums it's still an unknown where Luxeon remains the 'xerox/kleenex' of the field. Manufacturers will certainly work on developing lights around the Cree and I'll welcome the new product as they becomes available but turning every thread on this forum into a Cree thread devalues the usability of the forum.

I'm not going to debate lumens but let me say this; until we have free and easy access to integrating spheres the most consistent way to discuss lumens is led spec/wattage etc. If a lux III is '75' lumens the K2 is surely more than that.

Depending on the light Rusty Joe wants to upgrade the questions is of course how much heat it can handle. The TLE-20 can drop into pretty much anything because it operates cool enough that all plastic lights can handle it.

Rusty Joe - the MaxStar5 was just released about a week or so ago. There's 2 fairly active threads about it in the first 2 pages of the LED forum here. I've offered a unit to Quickbeam at flashlight reviews but he's taking a break until next year. Some people absolutely love it, some people were dissapointed because they were hoping for the light of a thousand supernovas to explode from their maglite but I think most/all agree that for now it's the best drop in Mag bulb there is - if you have a light that can handle a decent amount of heat and one that uses the threaded PR setup of the Mags.

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
The Mag is a 2 d cell. It's the only one of the biggies that are small enough to handle without feeling encumbered! Pretty good throw for it's power, but I need some more "ooomph".

Will this Maxstar5 work with this light? If it's better than the stock bulb (and relatively inexpensive) it'd be a winner. Where is a good place to get one of these?

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I am only now getting into flashlights and haven't learned all that much yet, but I am quickly learning how much fun it can be (and expensive!).

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rusty Joe said:
What I mean is, if I buy that particular 6.5 watt replacement bulb and stick it in a 3 c cell mag, would I be getting 130 lumens???

No.

A K2 emitter may emit 130 lumens if it is driven at is maximum current. But beam lumens are always significantly less than emitter lumens, due to losses in the reflector and lens. The efficiency factor typically used for incandescent lamps is 0.65. It may be a little higher for LEDs (since a larger fraction of the light is aimed forward and does not strike the reflector), but not much higher. So you would actually be getting an 80-90 lumen flashlight.

But ...

Lower drive currents and/or less-than-ideal bins will reduce the output even further. If you look at Quickbeam's review of the Diamond K2 drop-in, you will see an output rating of 53, which corresponds to about 73 lumens.

The Diamond K2 drop-in is designed to be run on 3 cells only. The Terralux K2 can run on 3-6 cells, but it needs at least 4 cells in order to get the maximum output. What that "maximum output" is tends to vary a lot. If you follow the other threads, you will see that some people (myself included) saw no better performance than with a Luxeon III.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rusty Joe - for a 2 cell light you won't have the current to drive the 3W+ LED's so your best bet right now is going to be a 1W based drop in.

For the Mag 2D or 2 C we offer TerraLUX TLE-5 1W drop in with a PR adapter for the 2 D mags - the TLE-5 was rewarded 4.5/5 stars by flashlightreviews.com.

We also have the TLE-6N which uses 2 1W Nichia LED's - it outputs more ligh than the TLE-5 and has a fantastic flood but will not throw as far. Also rewarded 4.5/5 stars by flashlightreviews.com.
Both are on this page:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/maglite2d.html

waynejitsu

Enlightened
Gene43 said:
I guess the thing I like about my conversions is that battery output determines current not heat. With the driver pumping out 2100ma the heatsink directly below the K2 never gets above 65 C, even after running for hours.

Gene

After recieving absolutely zero after sale response from another CPF moder about a light that did not work (that's right, no email and no PM, only wants the money and that's it, take your chances if you want, but that was my last light from that "Lumen" source..., so, then,
I purchased 2 of these lights, one is a 2D the other a 3D.

The before, during and after sale service was simply amazing, constant contact to make a couple custom lights (and even modded a SF light for me!!:)
What was great was the contact was made by Gene all along the way to make sure I was getting what I wanted, I never had service this good from a manufacturer (although I could name some to stay away from, feel free to pm)

Upon arrival, the first inspection does not look that impressive, until the darkness sets in (isn'tthat what flashlights are for anyhow?)

There is a house, across the street and down the road I use to test all my new lights.
If it lights up the carport, that is a good long throw, if it lights up the carpost and remaining area to the woods, that is good throw and flood.
(I know, not very scientific, but works for my personal purposes)
Just to add, no one has lived in the house for years and the owner has finally put it back up for sale, hopefully no one will move in for a good long time.

Back to Gene's lights-
The run time was very good, I have not replaced batteries yet, but have not kept up with actual time, just judging from other light times.

Need more run time, just switch the power to low..., that;s right, TWO STAGE LIGHTING (unlike other 1 stage, what you see is what you get mods).

Need more power light, switch to high!

Need longer throw, adjust the head,
Need more flood, adjust again

Totally unlike "the other" modded Mags or Mag wanna-be's

This is a very versitile, adjustable, user friendly light with the best manufacturer service ever!

This one is worth a try..., and for less than $100 (much less $$$ than others out there and with more features to boot!!!)
And unlike some, this one has a guarantee/warranty that the manufacturer actually stands behind, will take care of any potential problem, even if you do not like the light, offers a refund..., can't ask for better than that.

This light really grows on you over time, give it 1 week and you will be hooked:)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
some people were dissapointed because they were hoping for the light of a thousand supernovas to explode from their maglite

I look forward to somebody measuring the actual lumens produced for this drop-in for 3, 4, 5, and 6 cells. I was looking forward to the "100-135 lumens" advertized, not supernova^3.

"The Maxstar5 outputs 100-135 lumens, typically 120 and works in any Maglite 3-6 C or D cell light and is regulated."

If there is >100 lumens coming out of production MaxStar5's for all cell variations, I will eat my hat.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As we both know the up to 135 is based on the Luxeon spec, not the measured output. Of all of the mfrs only Surefire AFAIK is even close to using measured, rather than LED spec lumens in their literature and many mfr's are still using cp to rate their lights - even more useless. 100 lumens as measured how? With what? QB's system is a relative system; he's very clear about that.

Bottom line; can you show me a superior Mag drop in upgrade for a 3-6 cell light? Regulated?

Latest posts