Brightest MagLite upgrade? K2 at 6.5W, 130Lumens?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
I purchased the fivemega HS and bored it out to 5/8 to work with Terralux upgrades.

To be honest, with the Terralux you are better staying with the stock reflector if you want to maintain any throw and desire peak output. The 3W diamond is direct drive

I modified my MaxStar5 to Cree XR-E P4 WH on my 4D Mag. This works fantastic with the HS reflector. Soldered it in place with ArcticSilver5 under the pad. Still doesn't throw far, but makes a spot. Now I have the 130+ lumens I was supposed to get with the stock MaxStar5, and it runs 30F cooler. And it can be backed off for full flood.

How well does a Cree work with the Mag stock reflector?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
Many rings, no good focus spot... :(

Many rings huh? Wow, I would've thought with a Mag's focusing ability that you could still get a hot spot...but I suppose alot of it has to do with the Cree's dispersal pattern...

SuperTorch

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
I purchased the fivemega HS and bored it out to 5/8 to work with Terralux upgrades.

To be honest, with the Terralux you are better staying with the stock reflector if you want to maintain any throw and desire peak output. The 3W diamond is direct drive

I modified my MaxStar5 to Cree XR-E P4 WH on my 4D Mag. This works fantastic with the HS reflector. Soldered it in place with ArcticSilver5 under the pad. Still doesn't throw far, but makes a spot. Now I have the 130+ lumens I was supposed to get with the stock MaxStar5, and it runs 30F cooler. And it can be backed off for full flood.

This is the debate I have, so after all you'd still go ahead and mod the MaxStar5 with a Cree XR-E I have one extra Cree but havn't made up my mind yet.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
SuperTorch said:
This is the debate I have, so after all you'd still go ahead and mod the MaxStar5 with a Cree XR-E

Yes, but not without the HS reflector ;)

The K2 would be very easy to put back if you don't like it.:grin2:

4toMidNight

Newly Enlightened
I have the terralux tle6k2 dropped in to a 4-C cell maglite. The LED module fits perfectly that the 4-C maglite head (focus) is screwed down tight and it produces a very sharp focus which throws amazing light and creates a wide spill which illuminates immediate area. I use this light in my field work @ night for a utility company. I work in the inner city of L.A. and surrounding cities (BAD areas to work in the dark). With this light I can light up dark alleys & can light up address numbers with a spot as white as daylight from across the street. I've blinded attacking dogs. and with it tightly screwed down solid, it is also a short night stick. This modified maglite certainly serves its purpose. I was originally looking for a 6-C maglite (very rare). Anybody know where I can get one?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
ElektroLumens said:
Why just one Cree XR-E? Why not 3?

How about a drop in for a 2D Maglite, three Cree XRE, Micropuck per LED, Cree optics? Would pull 1.5A. I have P3's XRE's, so let's just say 80 lumens per LED, for 240 lumens approximate. Using 12,000mAh D cells, should last perhaps 8 hours more or less. Basically, remove the reflector and bulb, insert Cree assembly into head, replace bezel (add UCL lens?), screw head on Mag. Done.

Does something like this sound interesting?

Wayne
Does to me! I'd love to "rescue" my two 2D Mags. But I note this was posted over two months ago, and only one other said "Hell yes!" I guess it never went anywhere? :(

I wonder how much it (would have) cost?

Would it have worked on alkaline D cells, albeit with greatly shortened run times?

Latest posts