Brightest MagLite upgrade? K2 at 6.5W, 130Lumens?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Bottom line; can you show me a superior Mag drop in upgrade for a 3-6 cell light? Regulated?

I will agree that it is the best regulated mag drop-in on the market today for 4-6 cells, not 3-6 cells. :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
*rolls eyes*

In your opinion what's better for a 3 cell that is also regulated?

Your TLE-DB3 is still the best option for 3 cells !! :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciated but let's say for purposes of this discussion that output is identical for the TLE-DB3 and the TLE6K2 - wouldn't you rather have regulation and consistent output?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Appreciated but let's say for purposes of this discussion that output is identical for the TLE-DB3 and the TLE6K2 - wouldn't you rather have regulation and consistent output?

Yes. :grin2:

Pokerstud

Enlightened
ElektroLumens said:
Why just one Cree XR-E? Why not 3?

How about a drop in for a 2D Maglite, three Cree XRE, Micropuck per LED, Cree optics? Would pull 1.5A. I have P3's XRE's, so let's just say 80 lumens per LED, for 240 lumens approximate. Using 12,000mAh D cells, should last perhaps 8 hours more or less. Basically, remove the reflector and bulb, insert Cree assembly into head, replace bezel (add UCL lens?), screw head on Mag. Done.

Does something like this sound interesting?

Wayne

ABSODAMNLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sold:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with this is we do not know how well the Cree emitter will do with the Mag Reflector.

I bought a Diamond K2 based globe for mag and it easily beats out many of my top Mag Space needle clones.
An over driven LUX V emitter on a hot lips or O-Sink works very well.
I stopped making O-Sinks since the converters do just as good a job and the total mod time is about 30 seconds. I highly recommend a UCL to go along with the K2 emitter mod.
I got mine here for like $25.00

http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/product_info.php/info/p11616_Luxeon-K2-LED-Bulb-Replacement-Maglite-C-D-White-LED.html

Mine is so bright that I use a stipple on the reflector for an extremely smooth beam. This light has enough lumen overhead that the loss due to stippling doesn't really matter.
The color is amongst the whitest LED's I have.
Not bad for $25.00. You must use these in 3 battery lights.
I have had good success with mine.
I used to sell modded Mag lights. Now I just tell people to buy these add a UCL and either an aluminum op or stippled reflector for a perfect beam.
It might be a while before the Cree version comes out since they don't have the same fit as the luxeon emitters.
Besides buy one of these and when the Cree version comes out then you can get one of those.
Yaesumofo

SuperTorch said:
Yea and the Cree XR-E should rock in a 2 D Cell light, which is what I want. Hope it doesn't take 6 months.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
The problem with this is we do not know how well the Cree emitter will do with the Mag Reflector.

I do :) I plopped one on the top of the MaxStar5 drop-in.

Actually, it's quite a mess of rings. Think Saturn. Try to unfocus it and you get a donut.

Solution? Get a HS reflector from FiveMega, and bore out the hole to 5/8"

I now have something that throws reasonably, but has a fantastic spill, something I've never experienced before. If you unfocus it, the spot blends in with the spill. Slightly uneven, but no longer a blatant donut.

I'm very happy with the results!

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Sounds like it rocks with the Cree mod glad I got a Cree on the way even if its a lowly P3.

Oh yea measure the Cree temps if you get a chance

Gene43

Enlightened
Thanks for the Kudos Wayne. I strive very hard to build a quality light that people will be proud to own. I refuse to sell something that would disappoint me if I had bought it.

Thanks, Gene

RCatR

Enlightened
From Newbie's experimenting the cree goes very well with an aspherical lens

I've got parts on the way to build a 2C maglite with a GD500, cree and aspherical lens in it....I'll keep you posted ;)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
MattK said:
*rolls eyes*

In your opinion what's better for a 3 cell that is also regulated?

Your TLE-DB3 is still the best option for 3 cells !! :)

Oops, sorry the TLE-DB3 is direct drive. :sssh:

Gomez245

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading the 5watt / 6.nn watt, Diamond vs. Terralux debate with interest, because I'd like to hot-rod a (short as possible) M*g-light myself.

Regarding the Terralux wanting higher voltage to achieve full performance, has anyone tried running it on 3V Li-SO2 cells? See, I'd prefer to find a hack to use a 2-cell size light. I might consider a 3-cell, but I won't consider a 4-cell.

I notice Flashlightreviews' chart for the unregulated Diamond shows a really high spike at the beginning, making me wonder just how it compares in a side-by-side with the TerraLux unit.

Regarding achieving the claimed output, it seems to me that the marketroids behind the K2 LED drop-ins aren't mentioning that the max output spec of 120 lumens (according to LumiLEDs) is for some mythical V-bin which I can't seem to find available anywhere. Terralux and Diamond appear to be using U-bins, which have (again, according to LumiLEDs own table) 100 lumens nominal. Of course, one might score a higher-emitting die if one got lucky, and actually attain the much-ballyhooed 135-140 lumens which is the maximum possible. Personally, I don't gamble - I prefer guarantees, or at least believable assurances backed up with a return policy. Sadly, I don't have access to an integrating sphere. ;)

I'm looking forward to FlashlightReviews' review of the Terra next year.

On a tangent, I'm thinking of getting a replacement dimpled/stipled reflector to improve beam quality of a Mag 2 or 3 cell, such as those sold by FiveMega. Since I've never bought one, and given the cost, does anybody want to chime in on using one of these with either of the "5 watt" drop-ins under discussion, in terms of:

* range of focus, tight to wide
* beam quality vs. light loss of the different surfaces
* fit, improved heat sinking, and other tertiary issues

Note that if necessary, I can turn the hole of a metal reflector (on a lathe) larger to fit a slightly oversize module, although I'd rather not have to shell out $30 for something I then have to further modify. I'm lazy. :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the fivemega HS and bored it out to 5/8 to work with Terralux upgrades.

To be honest, with the Terralux you are better staying with the stock reflector if you want to maintain any throw and desire peak output. The 3W diamond is direct drive

I modified my MaxStar5 to Cree XR-E P4 WH on my 4D Mag. This works fantastic with the HS reflector. Soldered it in place with ArcticSilver5 under the pad. Still doesn't throw far, but makes a spot. Now I have the 130+ lumens I was supposed to get with the stock MaxStar5, and it runs 30F cooler. And it can be backed off for full flood.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
I modified my MaxStar5 to Cree XR-E P4 WH on my 4D Mag. This works fantastic with the HS reflector. Soldered it in place with ArcticSilver5 under the pad. Still doesn't throw far, but makes a spot. Now I have the 130+ lumens I was supposed to get with the stock MaxStar5, and it runs 30F cooler. And it can be backed off for full flood.

Awesome! Now that sounds bright, cheap, AND good!

Please keep us posted as to runtime, and brightness over time. Also wondering how your mod might do on 2 of AW's protected LiON C's coming out soon.

Was an emitter swap the only thing you had to do? Can you post a couple of pics of it?

Edit: Nice LED fretboard. When I finally get around to building a custom guitar, I'd really like lit up markers.

Last edited: