Brightest MagLite upgrade? K2 at 6.5W, 130Lumens?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez, according to the Maxstar5's PDF product sheet, it says "Electronically Regulated for Constant Light Output". Unless that is just informational sales fluff from Terralux, it does look like they've made some improvements since their DB3W module.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I did read in some thread here that their DB3W module had a similar output self reduction as the Mag LED drop-ins. I know that it wasn't stated in the initial reviews, but someone must have did a follow-up to report that.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
ace0001a said:
Brighteyez, according to the Maxstar5's PDF product sheet, it says "Electronically Regulated for Constant Light Output". Unless that is just informational sales fluff from Terralux, it does look like they've made some improvements since their DB3W module.

It's not fluff :p

It had to have regulation to be able to cope with being adaptable to 3-6 cells. The Diamond unit is 3 cell only as it's direct drive.

As to the questions re: lumen ouput: driven at spec the K2 is ~88-114 lumens with 100 typical. At the level TerraLUX is driving it at that goes up to 105-136 which they're marketing as 100-135 with 120 typical. Remember, Luxeon lottery rules apply as always :)

K2 spec sheet here:
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/AB21.pdf

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you did. I believe it was in the same thread that was damning the Mag Module for the very same thing. The only difference was that Mag had added features like buck and boost circuits to enable use with 2 and 4 cell lights, and added thermal management to protect the module, and was able to do that and still sell the module at a price that is at least 20% less than the direct drive DB-3W and Mag was able to have it available nationwide in retail stores rather requiring potential customers to pay $11 or more for shipping. No wonder so many posters jumped on Mag and started spinning the added features as "issues" or even "flaws", it could spell disaster for the web merchants who are carrying the Diamond products.

ace0001a said:
Also, I did read in some thread here that their DB3W module had a similar output self reduction as the Mag LED drop-ins. I know that it wasn't stated in the initial reviews, but someone must have did a follow-up to report that.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what that has to do with the DB-3W module.

I'm not even sure who makes the DB-3W, whether it is Diamond or Terralux. I know that Diamond has posted here claiming to manufacture it for Terralux, but I'm not one to believe forum postings outright. For all I know, the DB-3W could be shipped to both vendors from a plant site in Guangdong Province like everything else these days.

ace0001a said:

SuperTorch

Enlightened
ElektroLumens said:
It's very simple to put a K2 Luxeon LED into a Mag.

I've got some Cree XR-E's, and will be doing testing with them next week when I get some (hopefully) optics that work with them.

The Cree XR-E does look promising, to use in a 2D Mag with a boost circuit. I've done a lot of Mag mods, but have never offered a 'drop in'. It would be easy for me to do so, though.

Wayne

And very easy to sell to guys like me, a high quality Cree XR-E regulated with heat sink would be a instant buy. Let us know how it goes. Beam Shots, Beam Shots, Beam Shots

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can address that - TerraLUX manufactures the DB-3W and Diamond manufactures their product themselves. There was a partnership on that product, since dissolved where TerraLUX was doing the manufacturing for both - this is why the products are similar looking. That said, they're not the same design anymore as TerraLUX has continued to develop the product to ensure superior fitment and heat dissipation.

Most of this becomes moot, of course, with the release of the MaxStar5 which resolves the heat soak issue by utilizing an LED that was designed to withstand greater temperatures.

Gene43

Enlightened
Specs on the U00 K2 are 100 lumens @ 1000ma and 130 lumens @ 1500ma. My mod has a two stage fully regulated driver set at 350ma low and 1600ma high with alkalines and 350ma low 2100ma high on nimh. What is the output 135lm, 140lm, 150lm? I don't know. My personal experience is that the K2 is willing and able to be driven hard and loud. There are no heat issues, they have been taken care of. Here is a link to a sold one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESO:IT&viewitem=&item=140057887643&rd=1&rd=1

Customers are happy. Check my comments and feedbacks.

Thanks, Gene

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Trilux dropin in this link looks not bad:

http://www.future-lights.de/

Klick on "LED-Leuchtmittel" in the left corner

Then scroll down to the 8. product from the top.

3x Luxeons with 120 Lumens (3D) or up to 260 Lumens (3D, 4D, 6D)

Best regards

____
Tom

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own one of those Trilux3s from Germany. It's really bright, but it's not regulated. When I ordered it, the seller specifically told me it's directly driven. I haven't tried yet, but I was told I would get better performance from using NiMH batteries. I also have their Lux5 drop-in and it is SUPER BRIGHT. Gets pretty warm though. Those guys in Germany make good Mag drop-ins and German Mail is really fast.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You see, that's the problem that's going to confuse some consumers. Now granted there are people that will believe anything they read on a web site, forum, or newsgroup, but this is a case where one different tales may start to evolve.

Some time ago, someone claiming to represent Diamond and the sites with the various business names Blaine WA claimed to be manufacturing the DB-3W for TerraLUX. Now you as a dealer for TerraLUX post information that is to the contrary. While I don't doubt that your information is posted in the greatest of sincerity, I think you can see where this might start to raise some doubts in the minds of consumers to may be doing some deeper research.

Now that having been said, it appears that the person who claimed to be from Diamond is no longer posting here, and there was a post from someone who claimed to represent TerraLUX, along with your own current postings, and the more recent postings just might foster a bit more confidence.

MattK said:
I can address that - TerraLUX manufactures the DB-3W and Diamond manufactures their product themselves. There was a partnership on that product, since dissolved where TerraLUX was doing the manufacturing for both - this is why the products are similar looking. That said, they're not the same design anymore as TerraLUX has continued to develop the product to ensure superior fitment and heat dissipation.

Most of this becomes moot, of course, with the release of the MaxStar5 which resolves the heat soak issue by utilizing an LED that was designed to withstand greater temperatures.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll agree that differing information on something can lead to confusion, but that's the beauty of forums like this. You don't get just one point of view and everyone participating gets a say. I've been a customer of MattK with his business of Battery Junction and I can say that they've been really great with customer service. From where I stand, I believe the info he's posted so far. As for Diamond Marketing, I've purchased their products before. I won't complain about their product as they do the job. I will say that they do overcharge for their shipping and the feel of their product and marketing feels a little shady (at least that's the feeling I get from them). But like I said, their product works and works good enough for the masses...

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
so this is what ive been waiting for
it might not be the best (no heat sink)
but i liked my m*g drop in so im sure i will like the extra power in my 6c cell
so need a little help where can i get one with paypal
thanks

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Butcher Block, heat isn't suppose to be a problem for the Terralux K2 drop-in from what all the info is saying. You can preorder one at www.batteryjunction.com as it's not expected out until the middle of next week.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
JoeSnuffyII said:
A Cree for a Mag......please do it Wayne....

Why just one Cree XR-E? Why not 3?

How about a drop in for a 2D Maglite, three Cree XRE, Micropuck per LED, Cree optics? Would pull 1.5A. I have P3's XRE's, so let's just say 80 lumens per LED, for 240 lumens approximate. Using 12,000mAh D cells, should last perhaps 8 hours more or less. Basically, remove the reflector and bulb, insert Cree assembly into head, replace bezel (add UCL lens?), screw head on Mag. Done.

Does something like this sound interesting?

Wayne

Nebula

Enlightened
Wayne - it sounds very interesting! Are you working on such a creature? I would really like to hear - and see - more. Kirk

ElektroLumens said:

How about a drop in for a 2D Maglite, three Cree XRE, Micropuck per LED, Cree optics? Would pull 1.5A. I have P3's XRE's, so let's just say 80 lumens per LED, for 240 lumens approximate. Using 12,000mAh D cells, should last perhaps 8 hours more or less. Basically, remove the reflector and bulb, insert Cree assembly into head, replace bezel (add UCL lens?), screw head on Mag. Done.

Wayne

JoeSnuffyII

Newly Enlightened
ElektroLumens said:

Wayne

Is Mr. Ed a talking horse?:dedhorse:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say go for it ElectroLumens (Wayne)....I would definitely be up for the drop-in...