Brightest single AA (maybe cr123)light for under $40.

dirtech

Enlightened
Ok so my boss was impressed on how easily I could signal in helicopters for bucket drops even in heavy timber or overcast skies. I am using a peak Logan with a 18500 battery with a high cri xpg led. So it's not as bright as it could be, but I haven't had any problem signaling helis from a mile away at high noon on clear days with a floody optic. We have unlimited AA batteries at work, and he wants something that would work in this function but without the $100+ price tag. Does it exist? It would need to be pretty tough as we beat up equipment everyday. Would be good to run on AA but cr123's I may be able to sell. Rear forward clicky is useful for signalling. Easy UI is a must for my compatriots don't care to learn any programming. A strong pocket clip is very important for not losing it.

Ive been looking on my own, but haven't found anything (with the limited time I've had). I thank you in advance for any suggestions.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought is to suggest taking a look at what Shiningbeam has in AA and 2xAA lights.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Romisen RC-G2 III from Shinigbeam could work at under $20. Forward clickie, single mode, 1x AA powered. Fenix's E11 is also in that price range, and Jetbeam's BA10 and Klarus' P1A. Shiningbeam's I-Mini could also work.

dirtech

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into these. I've had a romison before and liked it for the price.

TOJ

Newly Enlightened
Seems like throw is more useful, so I'd say no to XM-L lights. The EagleTac D25 clicky series is out because they're XM-L with reverse clicky. No momentary on. Could a twisty with a strobe or beacon mode work?

The E11 is a forward clicky 1xAA that has just a low and high. No strobe. However, it does have momentary on for signalling. It is cheap and is more of a thrower with its XP-E. There are reports of it working with 14500.

You should also look at the quark pro lights, but those approach $50+.

If twisties with strobe are an option, look at the Foursevens Mini series and the Eagletac D25 Mini series.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
If used for signaling, any AA light would suffice I guess. If the night is clear and if pointed right at the target, people will definitely see the light. The average human can see a candle light up to 3(I'm not sure whether miles or kilometers) on a clear and dark night sky

dirtech

Enlightened
We would be using these during the daylight hours for signalling helicopters.

If used for signaling, any AA light would suffice I guess. If the night is clear and if pointed right at the target, people will definitely see the light. The average human can see a candle light up to 3(I'm not sure whether miles or kilometers) on a clear and dark night sky

dirtech

Enlightened
I think some throw would be necessary if aa only are used to substitute for lesser output.

Seems like throw is more useful, so I'd say no to XM-L lights. The EagleTac D25 clicky series is out because they're XM-L with reverse clicky. No momentary on. Could a twisty with a strobe or beacon mode work?

The E11 is a forward clicky 1xAA that has just a low and high. No strobe. However, it does have momentary on for signalling. It is cheap and is more of a thrower with its XP-E. There are reports of it working with 14500.

You should also look at the quark pro lights, but those approach $50+.

If twisties with strobe are an option, look at the Foursevens Mini series and the Eagletac D25 Mini series.

weaver

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam BA10 sells for $25 at Ebay right now, with forward clicky to high of 160 lumens. I have 2 of these, very high quality. Also, low of 12 lumens lasts 24 hours.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the SC51 from Zebralight? It maximizes the use of a regular AA cell, plus it has EXCELLENT runtime! :)