Bring ONE light for backpacking/camping

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i would say the u2... the u2s low is much lower than the a2s is. It floods more.... and has about equal throw. It is bigger though. I like how my u2 preformed while camping.

-David

Crossbar

Newly Enlightened
When I go backpacking I bring my HDS 42 and an Ultra G. Both can be clipped to the brim of my hat for use just like a headlamp. I find the lowest setting on the HDS is great for doing stuff around the camp and will basically run forever.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Night adapted eyes really need very little additional illumination. But if you can only have one light - I personally don't own one that will do it all - but the HDS Basic 42 appears to have the best combination of a very low level for most of your uses (and a lot of runtime) along with the ability to ramp up the levels as needed quickly and efficiently.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
REparsed said:
I'd definitely have a backup light, preferably one that uses the same batteries as the primary light and even better, a duplicate of the primary light. Even if both lights break you may be able to scavenge parts from one to get the other working. Also, a light that shares the same type of batteries as any other electronic device you were taking would be a plus.

I'd probably still be tempted to clip a couple keychain lights to my pack and my jacket.

Duplicate backup light.. Ohioans are smart... Even when they now live in different states... BUT, the Flashlight fan would want to bring along a different light just to have something different to play with, er, test out.
When I did a tough nine day hike, I took only my Petzle Tikka. My backup was my buddy's LED headlamp. I just got an EOS, but the gram counter in me would seriiously debate packing that since it IS bigger and heavier.
Back on topic: I did an 8 day car camping trip across the USA following the Lewis and Clark trail a couple of years ago (pre-CPF) and I found that my CMG Infinity was plenty for in the tent and around camp, but it was light to 10PM then too, and the car provided a lot of light. We hiked during the day.
If I did that trip now, the A2 or the Striker VG. The A2 - a combo of flood LED's and spot incan for cutting through fog, and it's just a nice light; the Striker for throw from a flexible LED with strobe and low levels. Like AngelEyes said, throw can be important for finding your way around. In addition, I'd take a small AA LED backup like the Fenix L1T, CMG, or Streamlight Tasklight 1AA. Then I always have a coin cell on my jacket pocket zipper.

Spread the CR123's individually around your bags and they seem less a threat at airport security.

From my experience in indoor/outdoor/underground exploration, in the total darkness, excessive brightness does mroe harm than good by ruining your night vision.

If you're gonna be using it in near darkness, single 5mm LED thingy is adequate for seeing your way.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, only one? Then it would be my Tikka+ headlamp.

When I go camping I usually outfit my self with the following:

1. Arc AAA, the ultimate backup light.

2. Tikka+ headlamp, great soft flood for the trail or around camp with multilevels.

3. E2O for my hiking kit. Good throw, great runtime for an incan. And I use a twisty switch so it is an almost fool proof system when your in the "bush" provided you pack a SC3 with a spare LA.

4. L2, great flood and a superior highbeam IMHO. This is my loaner light. It has converted its fair share to flashaholism.

5. 9P, this is my WTF was that light.

kelmo

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring only one? The Gladius, as stated before due to its multi-multi levels and wonderful beam qualities.

I'm taking the L5 out this week or next for an extended night hike so I can't wait to see how it does. But it is SO BRIGHT that it would destroy night vision.

My druthers for a longer- night hike has been to take at least two lights, one LED and one incan.

LED: L1 (two stages) with F04 beamshaper (LLLOOONNGG runtimes on low) or Gladius (multistages + beamshaper)
Incan: M2 + Detonator (100+ lumens for over an hour)

For long term camping and/or hikes I may bring along the original KL3 head too as it will run for many, many hours on the 3x123 M2 body. If weight isn't an issue I bring along all of my SFs and fire 'em off while smoking a cigar and sipping a nice vodka late at night. :)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the lights I have...ummm...Fenix L2T. Not really a hard choice. Has some great midrange throw...and run a long time on low. If it`s lost or stolen...I wouldn`t want to loose a Surfire. And it takes AA batts. But as others have said take a backup...whatever you do. My choice would be an Inova X-1 (new style)...same AA batt.

Ken

clipse

Enlightened
I'ld take my HDS EDC U60. I would really really want a backup though. Perferably one with a twistie head and same batteries. I'ld go with a Fenix P1 as back up. But if only one then it would be my HDS. :) (preferably with the 2x123 battery case)

clipse

dandruff

Enlightened
thanks for all the replies!

hahaha yes i know bringing only one light is flashaholic blasphemy!

but i guess actually i meant closer to three. should have clarified this earlier. i intended to bring my Arc AAAP anyway so didnt feel the need to bring that up. i am looking into purchasing a head lamp but wasnt really looking to discuss that. so far the Petzl MYO XP looks quite appealing:D i guess what i meant by ONE light is the one 'conventional' type.

i agree with ACMarina and Ginaz about needing very little light. i count the grams when im on foot too. but we are flashaholics arent we? :D and i think my choice of 1 small handheld, 1 headlamp and 1 keychain is still quite "sensible" and not overkill a-la-flashaholic-style haha. i was trying to justify bringing the magcharger85 haha.

my aleph already has a McE2s, thats mainly why im choosing it over my E2e. oooh that brings up another question, should i use my aleph 1 or 2?

roguesw said:
have fun, be safe and enjoy your trip mate
thanks for the advice and well wishes! its still so many months away but i cant wait!!

protaeus said:
For heavy outdoor use, I would strongly suggest using incandescents over LEDS. LEDs just do not have the colour rendition to make them useful outdoors past the first couple of metres.
then i might have to get an A2 then... wait no argh *slaps himself*:D

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
what ever light you carry as your primary and backup... I would recommend you to keep 2 Photon Freedom Max on your neck at all times.

1 Photon freedom with 2xCR2016 and (small and bright in emergency)
1 Photon freedom with 1xCR2032 loooooooooooooooooooooong runtime (DAYS virtually) of extended emergency light.

(be sure to change the mode in to signaling mode on both the lights)

this should give you additional peace of mind and security that you wont be left in dark..

pizzaman

Enlightened
I hate to break the terms of the thread, but I have to agree with the others emphasizing the need for a back up light.

After my recent camping experience, I will also go on record as saying a headlamp is nearly manditory. Having both hands free to work, and having the light go where you look is priceless.

I also prefer long running lights with modest output, over flame throwers that eat batteries like a fat kid with a box of twinkies.

I also prefer flood over throw for camping/traveling. For me, a light with a smooth broad flood is most useful for working, setting up camp, trail walking. For trail walking, I don't want a "jumping hot spot" to be my guide. Give me smooth, even, and broad. I just don't have a need for throw. I find the hotspot and dim spill on throw lights to be a negative when working or trying to light up a tent or campsite.

I have begun the long conversion to LED lights as well. LED technology has made great strides recently. I like the efficiency of LEDs (long batt life) and the robustness (long bulb life), I don't want an incan burning out on me on a dark trail (another reason for a back up light).

My current choices for this scenario....

Inova X5- Long batt life, long bulb life, built like a tank, modest in size, great output for trail or work. At last week's scout camp, watching the others with their dancing yellow beams on the trail was entertaining. No way I could go back. More light than an X5 on the trail is a waste. The color rendition was a non issue. I was lighting up the trail, and all the possible perils and pitfalls, more evenly and consistantly than any flashlight I saw at camp.

Princeton Tech Quad headlamp- A real winner. It has four bright LEDs and 4 output settings (high, med, low, flash). It is very easy to use. The 4 LEDs give a nice smooth/floody output compared to the hotspot and dim spill of the Lux I headlamps. I don't care much for AAA batts, but the light weight and long batt life of the PT Quad make this combo useful. When in the tent or bathroom, I was alway on LOW setting. The HI setting was good on trails. MED, takes care of the rest (only used the flash setting to annoy the scouts as necessary). Digging through bags, working, bathroom requirements, etc... Anything that needs two free hands to efficiently accomplish is the realm of the headlamp. A turn of your head instantly redirects the light where it is needed. I used to consider headlamps more of a toy or a gimmick. No longer. I will never camp again without a head lamp.

Good luck, TR

Blazer

Enlightened
pizzaman said:
...eat batteries like a fat kid with a box of twinkies.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ohhh, thanks for the laugh. That was one of the best lines I've seen on CPF.

carrot

Flashaholic
I would use the A2... and then the L2T as a backup that hopefully I wouldn't have to reach for.

Btw, this thread has just swayed me from thinking of getting an L4 to thinking of an L2... you guys make it so hard for me to decide...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick bit of history so you know where I'm coming from...
I've been doing back-country activities for 20+ years including dayhikes, extended backpacking, 4x4 expeditions, and a fair share of search and rescue.

Right now if I were going to take just one light it would easily be the Night-Ops Gladius along with extra batts in a surefire carrier. It's tough and flexable in terms of brightness and runtimes.

HOWEVER

I would never, Never, NEVER be caught out in the woods with just one light. Not even when long term backpacking where every ounce counts.

Right now I use one of the following combinations depending on the trip.
-Night-Ops Gladius and Princeton-Tec EOS headlamp (preferred)
-HDS EDC 60 Basic and Princeton-Tec Aurora headlamp (long term backpacking)

Before that I generally used a Gerber LX3.0 and a Princeton Tec "Matrix" headlamp but my wife appropriated the LX and the Matrix simply got blown away by improving LED technology.

Kinda reminds me of this post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/101247 (and my comment #10)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
ALWAYS BRING AN EXTRA LIGHT!!!

If one fails, you have another...if both have the probability of failing...either bring a third light, or bring a firestarter.

if your camping in a rural area...bring lots of spare cells...esp lithiums if your using lithium lights

When I travel more than 200 miles away from the house...usually I have 3 lights with me and at least a pair of spare cells for EACH light

Ideal world: no lights can fail...batteries last forever
Ideal word in the perspective of Murphy's Law: if you bring one light...it will fail at the most unexpected time. "two is one and one is none"

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also take the A2, When i went camping it was the most usefull light. The color Rendition is great and throws about the same as my used to be L6. Great Light.

aceo07

Enlightened
For this year's camping trip, I'll be taking my HDS U60, Nuwai headlamp (5hrs flat on high!), Inova XO, SL 3C (loaner).

If I had to take ONLY 1, it'd be the HDS U60 with at least 3 extra batteries. I'd go down the list if I'm allowed to take more.

Latest posts