Illum

Flashaholic
EDIT: I posted the same thing [same subjects of matter anyway]
on 07-24-2006, 01:37 PM, so....meh, edited

Last edited:

Loomy

Enlightened
TENMMIKE said:
Take a night ops gladius, itll do all you want and its a great flashlight , its my choice if i could only have 1 llght its the 1 i pick note ..i am a u-2 lottery winner owener, i still pick the gladius for best all around light

Just curious, why do you like the fladius more than the u2? Lower low or different tailcap perhaps?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
ginaz said:
i have always found that deeper in the woods my lighting needs decrease dramatically.

No kidding. I got in a real dark patch of woods a couple weeks ago with a SMJLED 2D light. You'll never have any idea how much better it throws than just judging from outside in the backyard. I was impressed.

Although if going the LED route in the woods, I would prefer something with a warmer tint for navigation incase of snakes on the trail and such.
But the SMJLED would be fine for the immediate camping area.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the first couple times you carry 70 lbs on your back you realize that you don't really need anything that isn't absolutely neccessary. Generally you can backpack without a light at all if you set up camp and cook at dusk. Ray Jardine the father of ultralight packing recommends Photon II in his book "Beyond Backpacking", but it was written a few years ago before the ArcAAA. So cut the handle off your toothbrush, pack light and get out there.

Some weights:

Photon 2 = 7g
Arc AAA w Li = 17g
Peak Pacific pocket AA w Li = 44g
Peak Pacific pocket CR2 = 32g
Fenix L1T w/Li = 61g
Petzel Tikka+ alks = 80g
PT EOS alks = 110g

Nice but too heavy for me Surefire U2 = 174g

I can't really get into sleeping in half a sleeping bag under a tarp. But East Coast bugs aren't as gentle as the west and I'm not as tough as Ray. Still its a good read.
Beyond backpacking

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The longer the trip the more weight conscious I get since you need to bring more food, clothing and other stuff on a long trip. So what light(s) I bring will depend on what time of year it is and what kind of trip it is. If I can only take one light I take with me the Streamlight Argo HP headlamp, and that was the only light I brought with me on a week long hike this summer, if it has been another time of year I would have brought a flashlight too. If you use a flashlight instead of a headlamp then you need at least a small keychain light to find the other light if/when you drop it (yes I have managed to drop the light when it was off, I'm glad I had a light to find it with).
When I get a U2 I will only use that on 1 or 2 days trips (too heavy for longer trips), for longer trips I will probably bring a Milky L1 (modified L1 with SV1H and McR18, soon to arrive in a mailbox near me :) ), but Argo HP will always be with me.
However, the light I have used the most so far is HD45, but it is too big to ride in a cargo pocket :(

Sigbjoern

Last edited:

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I would bring my Kroma Milspec.

Odds are I'd primarily run it on low, or witht e colored LED's. But when needed it could provide a little more punch on high.

All that in a nice compact size.

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
cave dave said:
After the first couple times you carry 70 lbs on your back you realize that you don't really need anything that isn't absolutely neccessary. ... Ray Jardine the father of ultralight packing recommends Photon II in his book "Beyond Backpacking",

East Coast bugs aren't as gentle as the west and I'm not as tough as Ray. Still its a good read.
Beyond backpacking

Jardine's book is what introduced me to LEDs (and onto CPF with my old lost screenname).

The real "father of ultralight packing" is Horace Kephart, "Camping and Woodcraft" (1906, but still in print, and my all time favorite book). A couple of draft pages:
http://wcudigitalcollection.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p4008coll1&CISOPTR=534&REC=12
http://wcudigitalcollection.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p4008coll1&CISOPTR=558&REC=13
The technology is old and modern materials can be lighter, but still lots of good ideas. His lights were EXACTLY 1.0 candle power :)

For bugs, there's mosquito netting, or even better -- winter.

The lights I'd take backpacking would be Petzl Tikka XP, 95g with alkalines, and a photon clone from lighthound. For a winter trip, I probably need a AA headlamp (Myo XP???).

--Walter

faucon

Enlightened
My bias is for a U2 due to its levels allowing extended runtime. I always carry my Arc AAA-P as well, and for hiking/camping a Petzl Tikka+ headlamp. As backups I'm never without a couple of Photons. A Fenix L1P or L1T (or the 2xAA versions) may be an option as well due to the easy and cheap cell availability. Good luck!!

Last edited:

blahblahblah

Enlightened
I was car camping by the Kern River last weekend. I brought:

PT Apex headlamp (got the most use)
HDS U60XRGT on split-ring coil tether from Cetacea (2nd most use)
AE PL shorty 24W HID (great for lighting up the hill side or across the river)
SF M3P w/ M180 bezel by Milkyspit (great for HID's backup because it's bright and you lose night vision w/ super bright HID
PKEF 5k version B (last year there were tarantulas and I wanted to see if they glow under the blue)
some Fluorescent battery powered light for in the tent (got it from OSH)
Osram GD Lantern (also inside the tent)
Orb Raw Ti (stays on light bag's zipper pull)
Ti-PD (went in the river while tubing)
SF U2 (didn't get used, but it used to be my primary camping light)
CentraLED worklight (magnets stick to the top of my truck for a great flood)
Coleman 2 mantle dual fuel lantern (it's a basic for car camping)
Aurora w/ Nichia Jupiter and optics, CR123a version (hung from the camping chair for others to use)

There may have been other lights, but I don't recall pulling them out of my bag.

It was cool watching some of the guys suffer using their stock Maglites. I believe here were several Mags there. All had dimming yellow beams by late the first night. On the 2nd night, many of their flashlights disappeared due to low output and being blinded by my lights.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Was car camping not too long ago and decided to take mostly LED lights (should have brought my Tikka+ headlamp too, doh!).

I had a Photon III, a Dorcy AAA, an Inova X1, and a Surefire G2. Out of all of the lights, the Inova X1 probably got used the most.

Only catch is this was at the coast, and it was pretty foggy. All of a sudden walking towards the beach at night I was wishing I had put my G2 in my pocket instead. Something with some good throw.

All in all, lessons learned. Since then I've accumulated a couple of additional flashlights (E1L and Arc AAA-P) and I'm eager to test them out camping. The Arc would be nice around camp, and the E1L might have enough throw to penetrate the fog/mist. If not, the G2 goes in the pocket!

(Now I am beginning to see why so many of you folks carry the Surefire A2. LED and incan. in the same package.)

:grin2:

Definitely have a backup light(s), no matter what. I agree that, "two is one and one is none." This thread is going to make me re-vamp my camping gear bin tonight. With lots of spare batteries!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to pick just one, I'd probably cosider my EternaLight Ergo X-ray. Adequate brightness for most tasks, a locator led so it is easy to find in the dark, excellent runtime. The only thing it lacks is some throw, which I find handy outdoors.