Bring ONE light for backpacking/camping

giantseabass

Newly Enlightened
I camp and hike often in the Sierras. I just bring my Surefire L4 with a red tip off cover. The light is more than adequate. As some members have mentioned, some areas are so desolate and away from suburbia there is no light contamination in the sky and surrounding area. Moonlight is plenty bright!

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
Take a night ops gladius, itll do all you want and its a great flashlight , its my choice if i could only have 1 llght its the 1 i pick note ..i am a u-2 lottery winner owener, i still pick the gladius for best all around light

Last edited:

dandruff

Enlightened
Mike02 said:
I have a pile of backpacking experience but not much flashlight experience (unenlightened, I guess).
This is more than sufficient lighting for my use for three season backpacking.
Just my opinion as a backpacker -
Dennis

hahaha! i think there are flashaholics who carry 20x the lumens u do, AT HOME!!!!

ive got zilch experience when it comes to backpacking, ive done some reading online and the "ultralight" backpacking philosophy really appeals to me. the trouble is that this is at odds with me being a flashaholic and photography enthusiast. carrying around multiple flashlights, a DSLR and extra lenses is definately not "ultralight". haha

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
If I could only have ONE light, it woul dhave to be a headlight o something that could be easily adapted to be a headlight with a baseball cap.

I think I'd lean towards the EOS. As a backup, another AAA powered single 5mm LED would be good for size and battery commonality - either an Arc AAA, Clone, or Fenix L0P or Gerber Sonic.

As other people pointed out, the darker it is, the less light you need (as your eyes become dark-adjusted)

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately the L1 is a contender for your needs!

I'd definately take a close look at the L1-white, the dual output is amazing.
The 1.1 lumen low is VERY useful and the 22 lumen high has great reach.
Couple this with long runtimes and you have a wicked contender.

The L1 series of lights has quickly become my favorite and most used. I really
like the L1-red for preserving night adapted vision and the fact it doesn't
attract mosquitos and other little critters!

Enjoy, be safe, and have fun!

jezzyp

Enlightened
Last time I went camping I actually used my 2 stage fenix 1LP the most.

The one light would be petzl myo XP as it is a good all rounder.

Stick with the AAs as you can get them anywhere. Carry lithium spares - they are lighter than alkalines and last longer.

I take the petzyl, the fenix and a couple of lighthounds fauxtons camping.

Even if you do go with one light - take at least a photon clone (or the real thing) - you may be glad you did

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dandruff,

Bring the U2.

The A2 is a wonderful light and would do a great job but the runtime and the limited levels are a drawback in my opinion. It is true that the color rendition from the incandescant beam is an A2 plus but I don't see it as a deciding factor.

The U2 is an extremely flexible and has a beautifully useful beam.

I have both the U2 and the A2 and have hiked with both. I prefer the U2 but would not be disappointed if I had to bring the A2.

-Goatee

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Definitely the L1 is a contender for your needs!

seery said:
I'd definately take a close look at the L1-white, the dual output is amazing.
The 1.1 lumen low is VERY useful and the 22 lumen high has great reach.
Couple this with long runtimes and you have a wicked contender.
I so totally agree. My L1 is my only light for jogging at night (what I often have to do because of work hours). The low is just wide enough to illuminate particularly dark stretches of sidwalk or streets so I don't trip, without attracting unwanted attention. The high is enough to see far when I need to. And both are instantly available.

part 1 of 2

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Jezzyps comment about if you only carry one light carry a photon as well. :huh2:
I like the logic but wouldn't that be two lights? :thinking:
Nevermind, I like the logic so much that I now only "own" one light, the StenlightS7! Wow giving up flashoholism was never so easy!

Oh, those other lights? Oh, those are just backups. :whistle:

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: RED and bugs... what?

seery said:
...red for preserving night adapted vision and the fact it doesn't attract mosquitos and other little critters!
WHY didn't anyone ever say this before!?? I would have bought a red light or two a long time ago had I known that!

part 2 of 2

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could take only ONE, I would take my Nuwai TM115, which is a Luxeon with dual brightness levels. Lots of time you don't need a real bright light, but with this one you have that option when you need it. A very similar light is the Streamlight 2L Tasklight.

Culhain

Enlightened
The last long trip that I took was way before I found this forum. I took a 3 week long motorcycle trip through the western US states and camped most nights. I had 2 lights with me, both stock MiniMags, and they worked well. One was carried in my tank bag by day and my pocket at night, the other was rigged to hang by a gear loop in my tent.

If I were to take the same trip today, my choice of lights might be different :) but I would still stick with lights that used AA batteries.

victory

Enlightened
buddy of mind just got back from new zealand last month. You WILL need a head lamp with lots of battery life if you're gonna be hiking there.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have an SF A2, I would take that and I would buy a two stage Fenix L1P.

A headlamp is very useful for all the previous stated reasons.

Last september I hiked on Mt. Whitney starting in the darkness at 1:30am we turned headlights off (Black Diamond with 2-5mm LEDs and a center 1W Luxeon) at 5:30am. There were two or three times I missed trail markings and had to search for 5-10 minutes or so to be sure I was on the right path.

I am totally convinced that if I had an "incandescent" (my E2e) it would have been easier. But both my backups were LEDs as well (Photon II & Fire~Fly I) Things just don't look "accurate" to me in the woods using LEDs. I guess having eyes calibrated to SUN light, LEDs for me will always look at bit off.

If you have to buy an A2, don't. Stick with your E2e I believe you mentioned you already have one. Buy the two stage Fenix single AA light. The Fenix will probably be perfect for 90% of tasks. It's rugged, uses common size cells including alkalines, rechargables and Lithiums. It's small easy to carry and the two stage model make it a complete winner.

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
Was having lunch with my colleague when I found out that she will be flying off the next day, to another country for a 7 day hiking trip.

So after lunch back in my office, I offer her the G2 with P61, that was sitting in my drawer and a fully load spare carrier. Only condition, was that she return my G2 and spare carrier after her trip and let me know her opinion of the G2.

I was unable to offer more since all my lights are kept at home. That G2 was an old model, without LOTC. Hope it does not light up in her backpack and the 8 batteries are enough for her entire trip.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG Infinity Ultra-G. While I also take a Tikka Petzl and white PhotonII, the Ultra-G would get the nod for one light. A Night-Eyes head band makes it a headlamp, too.
I really don't find bright, short runtime incandescents, and/or LEDs with big reflectors or optics designed for throw useful in the woods.
I may carry a brighter light, too, since I'm a flashlight nut, but in the woods it's just a toy, and will rarely, if ever, see any actual use.

Ben H

Enlightened
This is a great thread with lots of good info. As my backpacking experience grows, the lights I take have changed. I backpack April - October primarily in Michigan. I have found that I rarely use a flashlight. On a 40 mile trip I did last month I only took an amber LED Photon Freedom and two generic white LED Photon's. These lights met my needs just fine.

My first night out, I found myself wishing for a light with more power as two unidentified critters spent an hour investigating me. It would have been nice to have been able to identify those critters.

Photon Freedoms and 3AAA LED headlamps with lithium batteries seem to be the prefered lights amoung the lightweight long distance backpackers. It's amazing how little light you need once your eyes adjust to the dark.

nzbazza

Enlightened
victory said:
buddy of mind just got back from new zealand last month. You WILL need a head lamp with lots of battery life if you're gonna be hiking there.

Yes I agree, living here and having done a fair amount of tramping/hiking in the hills and bush.

Personally I favour more runtime over overall brightness and I definitely recommend headlamps over handhelds. Lighter weight is better. I prefer Luxeon's over 5mm LED's as NZ bush and mud seems to absorb the light emitted from 5mm LED's.

For me the best headlamp is the Nuwai HLX-712L (personal fav) or the similar Streamlight Argo HP. Also other choices would be the PT Apex or EOS.