Bring ONE light for backpacking/camping

rwolff

Enlightened
ONE light? I know you're supposed to "rough it" when camping, but that's taking it a bit too far. I EDC 2 lights - a Dorcy 1xAAA LED on my house keys, and a Dollarama keychain light on my car keys.

Coin cell keychain lights make great pull tabs for zippers.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
dandruff said:
im particularlly interested in the A2 vs U2. on paper it seems that the U2 is the clear winner, but <a href="https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107943" target="_blank">this thread</a> has managed to sway me!

That is one compelling write-up (not to mention exceptionally well written.) It's hard to read through that and not run out immediately to buy one!! The A2 has been in the back of my mind for a WHILE.. it comes up to the foreground for a breath from time to time, like that. (Sorry I can't give an informed opinion towards your decision, but I couldn't help but to comment on that article.)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been watching that Surviorman show on Discovery. He doesn't seem to need a light. He does need a way to start a fire though.

I'm going car camping next week though and the single most used light will be the PT EOS headlamp. I'll be bringing others of course. ArcAAA around my neck and HDS B42 should see a fair bit of use.

Tronic

Newly Enlightened
If I go camping I take:

Headlamp: PT EOS (Mod with SXOH) (Hand free / 3-stage / AAA-batt)
Main: Wolf Eyes Sniper with LED tail cap (low light flood and throw)
Backup/Emergency: Pak-Lite SUPER with glow cap (looooong runtime / 2-stage)

If only 1 light ...... I would take the PT EOS.

fleegs

Enlightened
I would recommend the A1 head. I think the 27mm is the best combo for throw and flood for me. If I had to choose one head that would be it.

I think your choice of one headlamp and the arc AAA are great. The other flashlight is for fun. Take the Aleph.

One flashlight? I would choose HDS U60. I usually need the lower levels more than the brighter levels. If I need bright I bring a seperate light designed for brightness and throw.

Have fun

rob

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd pick the A1 head over the A2. I REALLY like my A1 head, but it really just depends on if you want more throw or spill for the primary light. I think the A1 has enough spill to be very useful, and would pick that over the smaller head if it were my choice.

I don't have a A2 head, but I do have a E1e head modded with a McR20 and aleph light engine, and I assume that it is functionally equivalent to the A2 head.

schiesz

Last edited:

JohnJ80

Enlightened
fleegs said:
One flashlight? I would choose HDS U60. I usually need the lower levels more than the brighter levels. If I need bright I bring a seperate light designed for brightness and throw.

Have fun

rob
The U60 without a doubt and with the Arc AAA as backup.

J.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
For an AA camp light, the peak pacific with an AA accessory tube would be great. It's more than enough for wandering about the woods of Ohio at night, and it runs 12hrs on a lithium AA. Buy one to back up the wicked Aleph, compared to McGizmo's kit its cheap.

--Aaron

Led_Blind

Enlightened
I do some camping here in Aus and found that multiple brightness lights are a must. This is especially relevant when your trip last more than 3 nights. I recently completed a 4 night 5 day camping hike out in the Blue Mtns and found 3 lights to be my pick. Even then it was overkill ;) but being a flashaholic was just about right.

Light 1- Tent lighting + emergency - Arc AAA with a magnet to attach it and 1 spare cell and a lanyard.
Light 2- Pack light attached to the backpack - 1AA MiniM@g with FluPic pil and 1 spare cell
Light 3- Main carry - HDS U60XRGT on 17670 and one spare.

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Going camping with one light is like having unprotected sex with a prostitute(that's what I've been told).

Always bring a backup. Will you only be briging one source of fire making material? Clothes? food?.....

I use my Inova 24-7 with the full kit and Surefire U2. The low setting on the U2 is extremely bright once your eyes are adjusted to the dark but it is extremely versatile due to the adjustable brightness.
The Gladius does not have a pocket clip so it stays at home.

Wrangler

Enlightened
Either your U2 or A2 will do it, me thinks. Just take some spare batts.
An Inova X5 as a backup would be fine as it uses cr123`s as well.
For not spending extra money on a headlamp just get a Nite-Ize headband and you`re done!

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd pick my 2 stage modded Q3 also. On a lanyard it was perfect, and I even clipped it to a bandana at one point instead of using a headlamp (that woulda made me look like a dork...)

phosphor

Enlightened
pizzaman said:
I hate to break the terms of the thread, but I have to agree with the others emphasizing the need for a back up light.

After my recent camping experience, I will also go on record as saying a headlamp is nearly manditory. Having both hands free to work, and having the light go where you look is priceless.

I also prefer long running lights with modest output, over flame throwers that eat batteries like a fat kid with a box of twinkies.

I also prefer flood over throw for camping/traveling. For me, a light with a smooth broad flood is most useful for working, setting up camp, trail walking. For trail walking, I don't want a "jumping hot spot" to be my guide. Give me smooth, even, and broad. I just don't have a need for throw. I find the hotspot and dim spill on throw lights to be a negative when working or trying to light up a tent or campsite.

I have begun the long conversion to LED lights as well. LED technology has made great strides recently. I like the efficiency of LEDs (long batt life) and the robustness (long bulb life), I don't want an incan burning out on me on a dark trail (another reason for a back up light).

My current choices for this scenario....

Inova X5- Long batt life, long bulb life, built like a tank, modest in size, great output for trail or work. At last week's scout camp, watching the others with their dancing yellow beams on the trail was entertaining. No way I could go back. More light than an X5 on the trail is a waste. The color rendition was a non issue. I was lighting up the trail, and all the possible perils and pitfalls, more evenly and consistantly than any flashlight I saw at camp.

Princeton Tech Quad headlamp- A real winner. It has four bright LEDs and 4 output settings (high, med, low, flash). It is very easy to use. The 4 LEDs give a nice smooth/floody output compared to the hotspot and dim spill of the Lux I headlamps. I don't care much for AAA batts, but the light weight and long batt life of the PT Quad make this combo useful. When in the tent or bathroom, I was alway on LOW setting. The HI setting was good on trails. MED, takes care of the rest (only used the flash setting to annoy the scouts as necessary). Digging through bags, working, bathroom requirements, etc... Anything that needs two free hands to efficiently accomplish is the realm of the headlamp. A turn of your head instantly redirects the light where it is needed. I used to consider headlamps more of a toy or a gimmick. No longer. I will never camp again without a head lamp.

Good luck, TR

+1.....maybe add a Ultra Infinity or Photon/Clone to the mix, also. I have no need for throw while camping/backpacking. That's just me, though.

PS I too love the "twinkie" line !

-Regards

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
This is another vote for the Infinity Ultra.

I have a love-hate relationship with this light – mine's the Gerber model. It's just the right amount of light, with enough flood for any close task, and enough runtime that you never need worry about using it as an area light. It's my beater light and it's always with me.

Yeah, I know you can strip the anodize off with your thumbnail and it's too big and clunky for what it is – and I hate heavy things in my pockets when I'm hiking. But it's curiously indestructible, considering you can damage it so easily.

I'd sneak another into my pack. My Petzl Tikka+. I keep meaning to replace this with an AA headlamp to get everything running on the same batteries, but I know the new light would get left home and I'd take the Tikka+ with me because it's so light and easy to stash. The runtime is good, too.

I wouldn't go camping or hiking at night without a headlamp.

And I've always got at least a Photon clone somewhere on me, so I'm not counting that.

Mike02

Newly Enlightened
I have a pile of backpacking experience but not much flashlight experience (unenlightened, I guess). In fact, on my last trip I had to pick my way down an unmaintained trail off an exposed ridge at around 1am in my underwear and poncho using a blue Photon II to get to low ground with small trees as a nasty thunderstorm/electrical storm rolled through unexpectedly. I really skimped on the lighting on this trip as it was an extended trip with high miles and no resupply so I had to go very light (about 35 lbs including food and water for 8 days). In reality, the Photon was quite sufficient but a true white light would have been nice in that circumstance.

I normally always carry a headlamp when backpacking - they are indespensable and I can't imagine doing much backpacking without one (well, except that last trip...). My usual setup is a Petzl Zipka in my top lid pocket of my backpack, a blue Photon II in my pants pocket, and a red Photon II on my hammock shelter ridgeline. This is more than sufficient lighting for my use for three season backpacking. I have also hiked with a Princeton Tec Corona which I also have, but to be honest it is too heavy for me as and the lighting is overkill for three season hiking. Winter backpacking is a different story - I take more lighting and backup with me due to the extended nights and darkness.

Just my opinion as a backpacker -
Dennis

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
A headlamp of some type, mine is the Brinkman 3 LED AAA model, but any good one will work. They are the most indespensible light around camp.