Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
Homemade tamales for dinner. GF and ma made them.

FExGTvQ.jpg

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
didnt make them karelian pasties.. but i did use my pasta machine (marcato atlas) for 1st time.

and my first try to make homemade pasta.. not an huge success. tried making lasagne.

basic simple dough, 4 eggs and teaspoon of salt. (next time i put more salt) and then added about 400grams/4 desiliters of durum wheat flour (not precise as i kept adding until the dough started to look and feel right kind of doughy)
the kenwood mixer mixed the dough (was lazy, didnt bother kneading it by hand). -next time i either do it by hand or let the machine run even longer to verify the correct kind of stretchyness is achieved.

while i was waiting the pasta to "rest" a while (40mins or so) in fridge before starting to thin it down to sheets, i fried the meat and heated the ragusauce.
then i started the dough process with the pastamachine. cutting the big dough dollop into smaller doses.. made about 6 smaller lumps and then thinned them all according to instructions of the machine. this took a while to do but the machine worked nicely.

as i got them into kinda right thickness i cut them into smaller pieces and let them dry flat on the table. 1st ones done had maybe an hour to dry and harden, last ones about 30 minutes before i started making the layercake called lasagne.. (from bottom: meat ragu sauce, lasagne, meat and white sauce, lasagne, meat and white, lasagne, meat and white, lasagne, meat and white sauce, grated cheese and few knobs of butter on top.) then put the lasagne into oven (30minutes at 200degrees celsius).

but i clearly made few mistakes as i didnt like the taste of the lasagne. first it was in oven for 30 minutes. and felt a little raw. then added 10 more minutes.. this time the pasta felt ok but the taste was off.. and i blame the store bought white/bechamel sauce that i have never tried before.

my mistake. i normally have made my own sauce (when doing lasagne with store bought dried up sheets) but as i knew it would be spending time making the pasta from eggs and flour i wouldnt have the time for making the ragu and sauce aswell.. so i bought both of them premade. the tomato ragu was fine as i have eaten it before with normal spagetti bolognese raguletto sauce way. but the dolmio brand white sauce. i blame it for not beeing right for my taste.

another mistake i might of made, i think i really should of cooked them lasagne sheets in boiling water also for the 30-60 seconds they say in some of the instructions (not all say to do this). fully cooking them would take something like 2-3 minutes.. this wouldnt make them even al dente.. just cooked them a little -the instructions that i skipped was: boil for 30seconds, then put in cold water for 30seconds then pick up to cool/dry down for a moment before putting them into the lasagnebowl.

i just cut them in size and let them harden/dry up for 30minutes before making my layercake of lasagne. :) it might work, if the real blame for wrong taste was the white sauce as i think it was. it just takes longer time in oven if one dont precook the pasta. hmm..

to give you an idea how bad/not good it was.. i only ate one full plate of this stuff. normally i stuff two into myself and feel horrible because im too full. and then sneak back to get one more plate later the evening.. not this time. i had a sandwich as evening snack instead. (whole wheat dark rye bread with butter, cucumber and mettwurst +slice of xmas ham). so the lasagne was edible but not super awesome as i had hoped for. big let down. but i will try to make some again later this month with sauce i know to like. (or just buy a knorr brand flavor mix and add that into the meat. hahah)

oh well. the pasta roller machine got test driven and worked flawlessly. that was the main point of this experiment anyways.

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
Got the results today from my physical that I had on Tuesday.

Heart Rate = 70
Blood Pressure = 124/76
Blood Oxygen Level = 97%
Blood Cholesterol Level = 89

I bet that pisses you off? :D

My opa (grandfather) ate a pound a bacon and eggs for breakfast almost every morning, huge meat and cheese sandwich for lunch and a big dinner of meat, potatoes and vegetables with a beer or two. Smoked 7 or 8 cigars a day. He lived to 94.

My healthy eating continues.

Chili Cheese Fries
Iyb507z.jpg

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
Brunch was a banana. Dinner was vegetable beef soup with a ham and cheese sandwich.

Just got my order of new mustards. Over $100 worth. Yes, I love mustard. Tried the Kelley Mustard. Fantastic! It may become my favorite mustard next to Bertman's Ballpark and Pommery.

3225_2947_popup.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
NonS - The pasta machine is serious business; once you get your pasta recipe down, there's still the much deeper and more critical issue of the sauce..

Solid - Are you just after mild mustards? No hot? That Stone Brewing Pale Ale mustard was very impressive, but certainly not mild..

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
NonS - The pasta machine is serious business; once you get your pasta recipe down, there's still the much deeper and more critical issue of the sauce..

Solid - Are you just after mild mustards? No hot? That Stone Brewing Pale Ale mustard was very impressive, but certainly not mild..
Not really. I do like the 'spicy' mustards. Habanero mustard is awesome stuff. But, 'hot' like the the English mustards is not something I really like.

Brunch was Graskaas, Summer Sausage and Herb Crackers with Pommery Mustard. No dinner. Maybe I'll eat a banana a few hours from now.

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich with Onion Rings
SNsjcv2.jpg

c7X8yMe.jpg

Believe it or not, this meal was under 700 calories and the only thing I ate that day other than one banana for brunch. Some guy at another forum was attacking me for eating so much garbage and getting fat. So, I broke down for him what's in that meal above.

(3) Slices of Farmer John Lower Sodium Ham - 25 cal. per slice = 75 calories
(2) Slices of Velveeta Slices - 40 cal. per slice = 80 calories
(2) Slices Low Fat Nature's Harvest Whole Grain Bread - 40 cal. per slice = 80 calories
(1/2 tbls.) Butter = 50 calories

Total Calories in Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich = 285

(18) Alexia Onion Rings = 360 Calories

Grand Total Calories = 645

Plus, the only other thing I ate that day was one banana for brunch which is 100 calories. Total calories for the day = 745 calories

You just got to know how to cheat, people!!!

:)

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
Oh man, you guys got me in tears right now! That's why I love coming here!

Yes, it's not my pic. I found it on the internets. And I bought a bunch of different mustards, and yes, one brand was a whole case of twelve (Bertman's Ballpark). I bought Pommery, which isn't cheap. $22 for a jar. But, it's a fantastic mustard.

English Muffins with Ham and Graskaas
QeBQoxx.jpg

Close Up
4v97K2j.jpg

I love making people laugh.

$22 for a jar of mustard? I had no idea such a luxury existed. Man, I gotta get out more and broaden my horizon. I bet you chase that mustard with a five dollar shake.

~ Chance

Last edited:

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
I love making people laugh.

$22 for a jar of mustard? I had no idea such a luxury existed. Man, I gotta get out more and broaden my horizon. I bet you chase that mustard with a five dollar shake.

~ Chance

Pommery is a very mild, rich and tasty mustard. I just love the stuff! So, it's no doubt worth the price!

Pommery Mustard
7ultRdb.jpg

Went to make my Tuna Chessy Pasta Casserole and noticed I had no tuna left. So, say hello to Chicken Chessy Pasta Caserole.

Chicken Cheesy Pasta Casserole
sltN7FV.jpg

Oh, and I lost FIVE pounds this week! Like I said, you just got to know how to cheat!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I'd like to apologize profusely for not being here. NOT my intention but I soo much rely on being notified as my memory is poop!

Second, Nonsence, thanks for the reply to my email some six months ago $%#^$&

Third, now that I'm here, I immediately regret it 'cause this damn thread makes me hungry again and fourth, Solid Lifters, congrats on your awesome values (the doctor)

:)

How ya been kids?

George