Buy 1; Give 1 XO Computer Project

havand

Enlightened
It and the Asus EEE look interesting....But the EEE's price keeps supposedly creeping up...It's worth it for the size, but not necessarily the price.

cerbie

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation: the basic idea is that we can't fix the food distribution, can't fix the medical care, and can't institute schools worth a damn. We can't get it done for 100% of us here in the "first world".

But, children are going to be no different. They are going to be open-minded, they are going to be curious, they are going to be capable of learning new things that their parents can't grasp. There are already educational materials for these laptops in the works, but even without that, think of a several-mile radius with one internet connection, but 50 of these computers. They all now have a one slow working connection. Kill that, and they still have the ability to communicate to each other, over distances that could take days to walk (each XO is a fancy wifi repeater, and should handle any other one within a couple hundred feet).

You can't give them books: any two text books will be heavier, larger, more expensive, and less durable than the XO, and require more adults to make use of it.

Maybe it won't be good. After all, it's a modern Pandora's box--and remember, it was hope that she couldn't get back in, and hope that was the eternal suffering of mankind just because she was a little reckless. I think it's a worthy experiment, though, because where they are to be used, what we consider normal just won't work. On top of that, there have been no true innovations in notebook PCs for years (not using 150-300w+ CPUs*, and have a fryer plug are nothing compared to the mesh networking, BW+color display, nor kid-resistant physical design of the XO).

If my financial situation were a bit better, I'd go for one (or if they offer it later, or offer one less tweaked for their target audiences). The EEE is kind of neat, too, but the decent display, battery life, and ruggedness of the XO is unlike any other computer you can buy as a consumer. AFAIAC, there's not a notebook readily available on the US market worth buying. Why do I need a Celeron-M, 4+ GB flash (hello, USB ports!), and so-so battery life to check mail, edit text documents, and write some code? It's going to cost $400+, be too bulky, and something will break in a year or two. I want a PC built like my NDSL.

* google "Intel Tejas"

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on buying at least one. And gladly pay $400 knowing that it has the potential to help a child somewhere. Though IMO there are many American children who could use this just as much. There are many adults nowadays that have no idea just how bad the public school system is, and how poor many American children are growing up.

I think a lot of people are completely blind to the potential of this laptop. This is a frigging potential gold mine for a survival situation. Powered by pull cord or solar, internet via wifi and limited range autonomous communication. Even of the whole freaking internet, and cell network, and power grid went down these would still be able to communicate with each other over a certain distance. I for one would like to be able to communicate with my family in a disaster situation, and provided enough distribution and density in the grid with the outside world as well.
There are other possible applications as well.

XO might be slow internet browsing, won't be able to render super quality videos or play hifi music, wont be able to frag teh noobz wit' mah phat box, but as a utility tool it has tremendous potential.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks-

I apologize. Nothing else to it, my previous comment was obviously uninformed, and I was wrong.

:buddies:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a reminder, these are coming up for sale next week.
And still with the silly buy-one-give-one thing.
And eBay ones are likely to be overpriced too, at least at the beginning.
Oh well, I'll have to wait a while before I can get my paws on a XO...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI they are now available here.

Unfortunately they won't be shipped out (on purpose by my best guess) to have independent reviews done until after the buying period is over.

By all appearances is is a childish computer... hence designed for children. But if you're interested in the project, are a computer geek, or have a child who might benefit; you might want to give it some thought.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I saw this in a magazine we get. Looked for the info online. If I can get the funds together I will do this. However, I don't see me getting the funds together, never know though.
I know of a 'classroom' where 10 children are using one laptop. The classroom is within 15 miles of a goverment run school. The parents of these children don't want their children being indoctrinated into some of the beliefs that are taught in that school. If you are interested in this project and need somewhere to send the laptop. My children would welcome one, please contact me via email if you have any interest in making one of my children one of the children in your life. "During this time, you can donate the revolutionary XO laptop to a child in a developing nation, and also receive one for the child in your life in recognition of your contribution."

My eldest son has recently been in Cambodia. Naked children playing with beetles, the way I and my children play with matchbox cars. It gives you a new perspective on what is important

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately OLPC didn't let me choose where to send the "give" laptop. I know of many public schools in the US that could use these things. But the corporate greed wouldn't allow for such a thing to happen here in the states. So I do what I can. I only wish I could afford to do more.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OLPC group has just halved its staff, and reduced the pay of those who are left in the organization.
It also plans on abandoning the development of Sugar (leaving it entirely to the end users) and switching to windows as the mainstream system.

I don't give them another year. It was a decent idea while it lasted, but it was carried out in a spectacularly bad way IMO. If you're counting on economy of scale to get the price down for the benefit of the poor countries, you cannot refuse to sell to the private market. That was their ruin, and the whole buy-one-get-one thing was doomed to begin with.

Oh well...

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote an extensive reply, then clicked submit, and found myself staring at a white page. Sorry, I don't have the willpower to rewrite everything right now. :(