Cafe Off Limits Topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
Was I the only one who started to think Ntiri (sp?) was kinda hot by the end of the movie and kinda thought it'd be cool to have a 9 ft. tall blue girlfriend? :naughty:

Oops, did I say that out loud?:eek:

Wait, what are we talking about again? Oh yeah, come to my OH MAN IT'S HOT and OH MAN IT'S COLD threads and tell me about your waves of heat and cold. It's pretty harmless discussion. I doubt it'll get locked up. But if it does....:scowl:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Was I the only one who started to think Ntiri (sp?) was kinda hot by the end of the movie and kinda thought it'd be cool to have a 9 ft. tall blue girlfriend? :naughty:

She heard you

neytiria.jpg

(and I put a full 4K screencap of her in the actual Avatar thread..)

nbp

Flashaholic
Halo, you are THE KING of photos here, no contest. :grin2:

Ok, so that shot is not super hot. Maybe it's just that I know that under the blue paint and CGI is Zoe Saldana, and she's pretty incredible. :kiss:

EDIT: Errr, is talking about pretty girls an off-limit topic? Ok, I'm done, I promise. But seriously, look at that IMDB pic, she's amazing. :faint:

EDIT II: The link is 100% family friendly. No worries.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
It's definitely unfortunate that the first amendment rights of typical folks are crapped on by a few....... <remainder snipped>

Could you provide the legal argument supporting your view that discussing whatever topic you wish, on an independently held forum, is protected by the first amendment?

Then, after showing that such a forum is forced legally to permit it, could you show how governmental restrictions on a forum owner's ability to control and direct the discussions, on their own forum, would not be a violation of the forum owner's first amendment rights?

For the record, CPF is not an instrument of the U.S. Congress, the instrument of any other governmental entity, nor is it representative by means of formation by such an entity. On the other hand, CPF, as an independent U.S. privately owned instrument of expression and opinion, reserves all first amendment rights to voice such expressions and to moderate any guest commentary that may be outside any permissible range of such expression.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long ago a bunny with a pancake on it's head was used as a polite way of letting someone know you would not follow any longer down a rabbit trail.

bunny-pancake.gif

I think we need a new one. Maybe a 9 foot tall girl serving blueberry pancakes.

Greta

Flashaholic
Sorry... I just find those blue people incredibly creepy. And no, I haven't seen Avatar nor do I plan to. Seriously... those are creepy critters.

On the other hand... I do love that bunny... :grin2:

And... 1st Amendment rights? Hmmmm... yeah... it's also my right not to have to listen to or read stuff I don't want to listen to or read. Did you know that the First Amendment gives me that right also? Tis true! The gubment can't restrict you... but I can... :D

nbp

Flashaholic
Sorry... I just find those blue people incredibly creepy. And no, I haven't seen Avatar nor do I plan to. Seriously... those are creepy critters.

You really should see it Ms. Greta. It's amazing. One of the few movies I've ever seen where it is no longer obvious that things are computer generated. They actually move and look real. I saw it once on a regular movie theater screen, and then again on a 3D IMAX screen, and then once on my friend's big hi def tv on Blue-Ray. I was really impressed with the Bue Ray. Wow. :thumbsup:

And the blue people aren't creepy at all. By the end you start thinking they're the people and the people are the freaky aliens. :duh2:

And remember, it's not REALLY an alien...it's Zoe...in blue paint...:eek:oo:

Greta

Flashaholic
Sorry... must be some kind of repressed childhood trauma or something. Just don't have any kind of desire to see flying blue people. FWIW... I wasn't all that impressed with Lord of the Rings either. Around the third time that Frodo was going to die, I got seriously bored. Never did see any of the others in the series. Not a Star Wars fan either.

edit... added... and just so you know that I'm not completely against fantasy type movies, I thought the new Alice in Wonderland was great... even better at home on DVD without the 3D effects. And... I thought that The Book of Eli was just about the best movie I've ever seen. Spectacular!

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
Could you provide the legal argument supporting your view that discussing whatever topic you wish, on an independently held forum, is protected by the first amendment?

Then, after showing that such a forum is forced legally to permit it, could you show how governmental restrictions on a forum owner's ability to control and direct the discussions, on their own forum, would not be a violation of the forum owner's first amendment rights?

As I'm sure you are aware, the collision between property rights and speech rights is a complicated matter, and generally has required case by case adjudication in the past.

For the record, CPF is not an instrument of the U.S. Congress, the instrument of any other governmental entity, nor is it representative by means of formation by such an entity. On the other hand, CPF, as an independent U.S. privately owned instrument of expression and opinion, reserves all first amendment rights to voice such expressions and to moderate any guest commentary that may be outside any permissible range of such expression.

Indeed. As mentioned above though, depending on the disputed speech issue, a principally public forum that is privately owned (for instance a shopping mall), can have numerous and complex legal requirements regarding its and other's exercise of free speech.

That being said. I wasn't talking about CPF crapping on first amendment rights in the first place. I was talking about the world in general doing it. Especially in the context of the "bad apple" scenario, where a few idiots cause a lot of trouble, resulting in the need to restrict the much larger population of "good apples" in order to maintain harmony.

Also, I wasn't using first amendment in the literal sense either, and in general, I'm completely sympathetic to the way things have to be run in an online forum.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm not planning on taking anyone to court, so you can relax.

:D

Greta

Flashaholic
... I'm not planning on taking anyone to court, so you can relax.

:D

LOL! I'd love to meet the lawyer who would take you on as a client if you were. I could use some tips on how to fleece money out of people by making them believe they have a chance in hell... :twothumbs

entoptics

Enlightened
LOL! I'd love to meet the lawyer who would take you on as a client if you were. I could use some tips on how to fleece money out of people by making them believe they have a chance in hell... :twothumbs

Besides, my crack team of lawyers is currently working on a way to import the Hyaboons (or was it Babenas?)

:nana:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Errr, is talking about pretty girls an off-limit topic?

Heh, you haven't seen some of my other posts..

CPF is not an instrument of the U.S. Congress, the instrument of any other governmental entity

You should see if it could be; lots of talk of survival gear and govt issue equipment, CPF could be a funded component of Homeland Security. Being a moderator would be a paid position.. :twothumbs

Greta

Flashaholic
You should see if it could be; lots of talk of survival gear and govt issue equipment, CPF could be a funded component of Homeland Security. Being a moderator would be a paid position.. :twothumbs

Riiiiight... and we all know how competent the OHS is.... no thank you... :ironic:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry... must be some kind of repressed childhood trauma or something. Just don't have any kind of desire to see flying blue people

Not missing much. I've noted that 90% of the people I know who've bought the Avatar DVD got it to play it in their SUV to keep their 8yr olds from beating each other on the way to the mall. Basically they lost their Lion King DVD.

The next Jack-*** movie will be in 3-D, and I'll likely be more entertained with it than Avatar. What's interesting is Chris Nolan panned on 3-D for 'Inception', and that tells us something. Eagerly awaiting 'Money Never Sleeps'.

Which brings me back to topic, and that being would I get in to trouble starting a thread called 'Who gives a flaming you_know_what about Avatar'?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Not missing much. I've noted that 90% of the people I know who've bought the Avatar DVD got it to play it in their SUV to keep their 8yr olds from beating each other on the way to the mall. Basically they lost their Lion King DVD.

The next Jack-*** movie will be in 3-D, and I'll likely be more entertained with it than Avatar. What's interesting is Chris Nolan panned on 3-D for 'Inception', and that tells us something. Eagerly awaiting 'Money Never Sleeps'.

Which brings me back to topic, and that being would I get in to trouble starting a thread called 'Who gives a flaming you_know_what about Avatar'?

Is that a "Yes" that you are going to see it this Friday, then?

Greta & others that have no interest in the blue people, etc., even those legitimate critics who listed their specific issues, none of them have disputed the amazing enveloping realism effect of the specific 3D technology that Cameron used. For that reason alone, and verified by credible directors/studios/manufacturers, it is worth seeing that accomplishment. I have not heard of any other 3D movies before or after that have had the same result.

Don't forget, Cameron also has 2 sequels planned, and the roll out of Blu-Ray 3D versions, so we will have many more years of continuing the Avatar conversation. LOL!:popcorn:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
And... 1st Amendment rights? Hmmmm... yeah... it's also my right not to have to listen to or read stuff I don't want to listen to or read. Did you know that the First Amendment gives me that right also? Tis true! The gubment can't restrict you... but I can... :D

Aww . . . Just let the poor guy know how it really is.

CPF is a soft dictatorship, guided by an iron hand; controlled by you.

And those of us who have been here more than a little while, well; we're quite happy with the way things are. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.