Cordless power tools

ven

Flashaholic
Hi all, hope everyone is good!

Used the chainsaw several more times and took 1/2 of the conifers down the side. Still getting shut of them bit by bit and almost done. The strimmer will now start to get regular use again. Now winter is behind us. Just waiting for the petrol mower to pack in !!!! Then I may sway for a dewalt one. Providing I can find one reasonable. UK for maybe £150 can get you a cheap, but still fine petrol mower. This will be good for 5-10yrs before spending . Dewalt wants pretty much double for the elec, more still for the flexvolt. So unless I can bag a good deal on the dewalt>£200, more than likely get another petrol.

We shall see!!!

+

updates Chance! ;):popcorn:

Spring time is weed growing time. Yesterday the sprayer was in very good form laying down a nice soaking of 12.5 gallons of Round Up grass and weed killer. The battery, which is very light for its size, was fully charged and completed the job sans any issues. If you don't have a lot of area, that's spread out, I would recommend going with a smaller unit. Four gallons of liquid is a bit of a tussle to lift and swing up onto your back. Of course I'm 64, so there's that.

I've been good to rinse the entire system after each use. However, I recently noticed some oxidation where the brass wand and handle couple.

All and all, it's been a good unit now going into its second season. I sure didn't miss having to manually pump yesterday's 12.5 gallons.

POPP -

RfaUriB.jpg

POPP - Proof Of Purchase Picture :naughty:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hi all, hope everyone is good!

Used the chainsaw several more times and took 1/2 of the conifers down the side. Still getting shut of them bit by bit and almost done. The strimmer will now start to get regular use again. Now winter is behind us. Just waiting for the petrol mower to pack in !!!! Then I may sway for a dewalt one. Providing I can find one reasonable. UK for maybe £150 can get you a cheap, but still fine petrol mower. This will be good for 5-10yrs before spending . Dewalt wants pretty much double for the elec, more still for the flexvolt. So unless I can bag a good deal on the dewalt>£200, more than likely get another petrol.

We shall see!!!
This is the big drawback for battery mowers for me. How long does the batteries last and cost to replace them vs the cost of gas to run it for the same amount of years. For my lawn I use about $5 worth of gas a year and I can refill the gas tank in a minute, I don't have to pull a battery out and put it on a charger and take it off one and put it back in sometimes twice to mow my lawn I would estimate. A battery for these mowers likely cost $75 on average and you need 2 of them unless you have a small lawn having the second one fresh so you can put the first on the charger in case you need 3 charges. I'm also not sure of the power requirement to mow deep wet grass and self propelled can suck power from batteries too. I'm still not able to think a battery mower is going to be the same or cheaper cost to operate over a 10 year period.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spring time is weed growing time. Yesterday the sprayer was in very good form laying down a nice soaking of 12.5 gallons of Round Up grass and weed killer. The battery, which is very light for its size, was fully charged and completed the job sans any issues. If you don't have a lot of area, that's spread out, I would recommend going with a smaller unit. Four gallons of liquid is a bit of a tussle to lift and swing up onto your back. Of course I'm 64, so there's that.

I've been good to rinse the entire system after each use. However, I recently noticed some oxidation where the brass wand and handle couple.

All and all, it's been a good unit now going into its second season. I sure didn't miss having to manually pump yesterday's 12.5 gallons.

+

thanks,, handy unit

This is the big drawback for battery mowers for me. How long does the batteries last and cost to replace them vs the cost of gas to run it for the same amount of years. For my lawn I use about $5 worth of gas a year and I can refill the gas tank in a minute, I don't have to pull a battery out and put it on a charger and take it off one and put it back in sometimes twice to mow my lawn I would estimate. A battery for these mowers likely cost $75 on average and you need 2 of them unless you have a small lawn having the second one fresh so you can put the first on the charger in case you need 3 charges. I'm also not sure of the power requirement to mow deep wet grass and self propelled can suck power from batteries too. I'm still not able to think a battery mower is going to be the same or cheaper cost to operate over a 10 year period.

+

I thought all the same things on an electric mower.
But 6 years ago I got a 40V brushless Greenworks and all I can say is 'wish I had one sooner'
They are light, simple, surprisingly powerful, no mess or fuss & with some other 40V Greenworks stuff, justifies the few batteries I have (couple chargers too)
= Batteries, like any other lithium, have to be used intelligently...
not like some clown who buys an electric mower, puts his battery on the charger for a few days to really get 'er done. Ending up ruining the battery & leaving a seething/negative review for his own mindlessness.

I like mine alot, it really comes down to how big your yard is.
This is my mower, got some crazy good deal on it. It's a push mower, but weighs nothing: https://www.greenworkstools.com/40v-cordless-brushless-lawn-mower-2500502
You would laugh seeing what I grind up & mulch with it. Always having a super sharp blade.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

One other thing on Lithium mowers.

If the grass is really long or it senses alot of load, it ramps up in speed to deal w/ it.
..then backs down automatically when the load goes down. This saves the battery runtime alot.
Most do this.

I like to cut when my grass is high & it ramps up, my mulch literally disappears. It's downright fun.

adnj

Enlightened
I recently pulled the trigger on a four gallon, 18v, backpack sprayer. No more cranking the lever for me. :twothumbs

They've been on backorder for weeks. :sigh:

I
Hate
Waiting [emoji14]

FzKn3iF.jpg
I recently added a 12V 4 lpm diapham pump and gel battery to a 4 gallon with a broken pump.

Once gutted, it wasn't much more than a tank and straps.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

idleprocess

Flashaholic

For my purposes on a ⅛ acre lot, battery lawn tools are sufficient in terms of capacity and power delivery, however if I had to do it again I probably wouldn't choose Ryobi.

The original tools I acquired - trimmer, brushless lawnmower - came with 2.6Ah batteries - one and two, respectively. The trimmer was purchased early in the season a year prior to the mower. The 2.6Ah batteries never had an issue with trimming, and I do quite a bit of trimming since the property is small and the resulting geometry a tad complex. For mowing they were sufficient for the weekly chore, but put it off for a week and you'd need the second battery to get the last ~third of the job done. I've since obtained a lead blower (3Ah pack-in) and a new trimmer (old trimmer has been relegated to edging sidewalk and driveway). The 3Ah battery is used for trimming, edging, and blowing the clippings - a task that it only struggles with at the end of the job blowing clippings if I use the "turbo" mode too long. The 4Ah battery is now the mower battery and it's never lacked the Wheaties

The durability, however, leaves a tad to be desired. All three 2.6Ah batteries have been 'retired'. At about their 4th season they would all quit at apparent half-charge mowing the lawn at which point there was one good push (after they cooled down, recovered voltage, whatnot before) on the mower for another 2-5 minutes before they needed to be swapped. They would all offer another ~season operating the trimmer before behaving like they did with the mower. The 3Ah battery operated a few seasons as the mower battery before exhibiting a similar problem, however that was a year when I was not mowing consistently thus I may have simply been consuming more Wh per unit of turf mowed than even a new battery could manage.

I've still got the dead 2.6Ah packs. They all read ~40V across the packs themselves so I imagine their failure is a bad cell or two within the strings. Because Molicel P26As can be had for ~$4 each and easily meet the current capabilities of the 1.3Ah cells I may try my hand at rebuilding them - I do fancy the idea of 5.2Ah packs for <$100, and even half-capacity 1.3AH 18650s are useful for task lights.

They are light, simple, surprisingly powerful, no mess or fuss & with some other 40V Greenworks stuff, justifies the few batteries I have (couple chargers too)
Same experience. For the most part the tools just work and are easy to maneuver. An added bonus is that they're quiet - my SO and neighbors have walked out of the house and been surprised to find me mowing the lawn.

Important: I'll never get rid of my 2-stroke blower or trimmer
I've never found the Ryobi trimmer lacking for power or runtime, however the blower does indeed flatten those batteries fast and in the case of the model I've got is less leaf blower more assertive air sweeper.

A friend scoffed at the expense of replacing batteries every ~3 years but goes through about enough pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel to buy a new battery every year.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
For my purposes on a ⅛ acre lot, battery lawn tools are sufficient in terms of capacity and power delivery, however if I had to do it again I probably wouldn't choose Ryobi.

The original tools I acquired - trimmer, brushless lawnmower - came with 2.6Ah batteries - one and two, respectively. The trimmer was purchased early in the season a year prior to the mower. The 2.6Ah batteries never had an issue with trimming, and I do quite a bit of trimming since the property is small and the resulting geometry a tad complex. For mowing they were sufficient for the weekly chore, but put it off for a week and you'd need the second battery to get the last ~third of the job done. I've since obtained a lead blower (3Ah pack-in) and a new trimmer (old trimmer has been relegated to edging sidewalk and driveway). The 3Ah battery is used for trimming, edging, and blowing the clippings - a task that it only struggles with at the end of the job blowing clippings if I use the "turbo" mode too long. The 4Ah battery is now the mower battery and it's never lacked the Wheaties

The durability, however, leaves a tad to be desired. All three 2.6Ah batteries have been 'retired'. They would all quit at apparent half-charge mowing the lawn at some point at which point there was one good push after they cooled down, recovered voltage, whatnot before they needed to be swapped. They would all offer another ~season operating the trimmer before behaving like they did with the mower. The 3Ah battery operated a few seasons as the mower battery before exhibiting a similar problem, however that was a year when I was not mowing consistently thus I may have simply been consuming more Wh per unit of turf mowed than even a new battery could manage.

I've still got the dead 2.6Ah packs. They all read ~40V across the packs themselves so I imagine their failure is a bad cell or two within the strings. Because Molicel P26As can be had for ~$4 each and easily meet the current capabilities of the 1.3Ah cells I may try my hand at rebuilding them - I do fancy the idea of 5.2Ah packs for <$100, and even half-capacity 1.3AH 18650s are useful for task lights.

Same experience. For the most part the tools just work and are easy to maneuver. An added bonus is that they're quiet - my SO and neighbors have walked out of the house and been surprised to find me mowing the lawn.

I've never found the Ryobi trimmer lacking for power or runtime, however the blower does indeed flatten those batteries fast and in the case of the model I've got is less leaf blower more assertive air sweeper.

A friend scoffed at the expense of replacing batteries every ~3 years but goes through about enough pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel to buy a new battery every year.
My neighbor got a Ryobi mower and I noticed his back yard is getting very high not sure if he doesn't want to mow it or the mower chokes on the high grass or not. I just spent $65 on a new transmission for my 2005 Toro self propelled mower and spent 3 hours repairing it but it starts on the first or second pull still. The lawn in back gets thick and my mower in places struggles to eject the grass out the side chute when it is a little too moist I doubt a battery mower would do much better. As I have a 2.5 gallon gas can I have to refill it about 3 times every 4 years not quite once a year unless there is a tremendous rain. I am considering a dewalt 20v weedeater as my black and decker works but the blower is pathetic I do have a gas blower but it is clunky to deal with but powerful enough.
As for the batteries you talked about likely you have a few cells with reduced capacity bringing down the pack. I'm thinking that when you try and draw too much power it can heat up the cells in a pack and those that get the hottest may get weakened the most.
I do like my battery weedeater and hedge trimmer they save me about 10 minutes every time I do the yard as was using corded tools and
spooling 75 feet of cord and dragging it around and rolling it back up takes about 5-7 minutes. What would be cool is if Dewalt made a mower that could use up to 4 20v batteries in parallel I think they have one that can do 2 batteries but 4 would lower the power drain on a single pack and double the power of the mower in use. I would think that having it detect how many batteries would be ideal so the more batteries the higher the output could be.
If someone is going through a lot of gas then it would likely eat up more than a battery a year that would be a lot of mowing.
I think for mowers the new 21700 cell packs would be ideal like the 3/6/8/9/10/12A packs of which some are Flexvolt on the Dewalt line (6/9/12).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
As I have a 2.5 gallon gas can I have to refill it about 3 times every 4 years not quite once a year unless there is a tremendous rain.

A bit confused as to your refill frequency - somewhat less than 2.5 gallons/year?

Some back-of-the-napkin math on energy consumption... the Toro mower used to consume about 2 gallons of gas a season or about 1/12th of a gallon per week. Gasoline is 33.7kWH per gallon thus it took the Toro about 2800Wh to do about the same amount of useful work that the 94Wh battery accomplishes - just shy of 30 times more energy.

Not that the OPEX is all that meaningful, but here goes. Gas is about $3/ gallon and since I had a 1 gallon gas can, two trips per year to the gas station a mile away so $6 plus whatever vehicle fuel + depreciation I care to amortize. 94Wh of electricity x 24 x 1.4 since charging is less than perfect = ~3.2kWH at $0.10 / kWH = $0.32.

The lawn in back gets thick and my mower in places struggles to eject the grass out the side chute when it is a little too moist I doubt a battery mower would do much better.
My mower is definitely lacking in that regard (no side-discharge) - if it gets really tall I either have to move agonizingly slow for the perimeter pass then make half-passes or bag it.

I've still got the Toro (possibly the same model as you - I bought it in 2009) - I should replace all the fuel lines and the carb then see if it will start after sitting for >5 years.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A bit confused as to your refill frequency - somewhat less than 2.5 gallons/year?

Some back-of-the-napkin math on energy consumption... the Toro mower used to consume about 2 gallons of gas a season or about 1/12th of a gallon per week. Gasoline is 33.7kWH per gallon thus it took the Toro about 2800Wh to do about the same amount of useful work that the 94Wh battery accomplishes - just shy of 30 times more energy.

Not that the OPEX is all that meaningful, but here goes. Gas is about $3/ gallon and since I had a 1 gallon gas can, two trips per year to the gas station a mile away so $6 plus whatever vehicle fuel + depreciation I care to amortize. 94Wh of electricity x 24 x 1.4 since charging is less than perfect = ~3.2kWH at $0.10 / kWH = $0.32.

My mower is definitely lacking in that regard (no side-discharge) - if it gets really tall I either have to move agonizingly slow for the perimeter pass then make half-passes or bag it.

I've still got the Toro (possibly the same model as you - I bought it in 2009) - I should replace all the fuel lines and the carb then see if it will start after sitting for >5 years.
I use less than 2 gallons a year often I got almost 2 years without buying gas. Gas here is $2.68/gallon right now. I've already mowed twice this season and it takes about 1 tank full of the mower to do the lawn both front and back if I mow every week and it doesn't rain a lot.
My mower likely is a little less powerful as I heard there was a class action suit where they claimed the mowers had something like 5HP and they didn't have that much perhaps 4HP. If you used regular gas in the mower just prime it about 6-7 times and pull the cord about 4-5 times and it may just start. As I am getting older I enjoy the self propelled even more especially I had to mow it the first time with a broken transmission and it was hard to push. Now it is almost effortless except around the corners.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Last summer we moved and now have a almost 1/4 acre lot, with a zoysia grass lawn. Man... that stuff is hard to cut! I pushed my gas fired mower about 100 feet, and put it away. Within a week, I bought a used Honda 3009 ride on mower with a bagger. It has only a 30 inch cut, but it will pass through my gate.

I pushed that push mower out to the curb.

Last week, with a shot of ether, it started right up, after a long winter's nap hehe. My Grandson backed it up to the center of the yard, he depressed the combination clutch/brake pedal, and now it won't move in either direction. I guess something needs to be greased. I may be away for another week, or maybe the month of May.

So in the meantime, my daughter made this, little 13 amp corded mower, an addition to the family. Knowing her... I am sure the price was right. :)

ACtC-3eon7hfKX5W1YLl0r7c3gOqC7vXt0pY8Zi8XYKcyXQEyxvCnWxa8wDH5_h7Xydbh6_Bo8lYmyUyyrwW65wyGlyayHapUEFnMuf8300KaHj4aeYTK4xBqkrPNGWUA1JoJbgTYdWA01cRXtLmobUzGMlS=w750-h707-no

Oh NO! That cutting deck looks like it is too low!

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh NO! That cutting deck looks like it is too low!

+

Funny you mention the deck.
I made an adapter to my brushless mower so the blade is lower. With that, I can raise up the deck so not to drag in the grass. Very effective.
..my neighbor was impressed with that :laughing:

_ __
One other thing on my batteries:

Mine are still good as new & I'v put the spurs to them in my mower.
I never let them completely drain in the mower, and I don't let them go to 'green' full charge in the charger (I pull them at like 90~95%)
Always charge them after use to that 90'ish %

There have been times when the batteries got a bit warm in the mower, and the charger showed 'green' when I put them in it,,
just put the battery in the fridge for 15min, once cooled a bit, you can charge up normally.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Got out my practically new gas powered trimmer recently for the first time of the year and began pulling the starter cord. It's an annual ritual it seems but this one was purchased last year because of that. Once it started it ran great. After a few minutes of "bwaaaaaahhh" in my ears and the strain on my back I really really really am contemplating a 40 volt number. The kind with quick change to edger, bush wacker, hedge trimmer……
I'll probably finish out the year with "ole heavy" but man o man I'm really hoping Santa drops off a battery powered one this year.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got out my practically new gas powered trimmer recently for the first time of the year and began pulling the starter cord. It's an annual ritual it seems but this one was purchased last year because of that. Once it started it ran great. After a few minutes of "bwaaaaaahhh" in my ears and the strain on my back I really really really am contemplating a 40 volt number. The kind with quick change to edger, bush wacker, hedge trimmer……
I'll probably finish out the year with "ole heavy" but man o man I'm really hoping Santa drops off a battery powered one this year.

+

Really good deal, the battery alone is usually $100~$120

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPA151K/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Used my 40V Greenworks brushless mower yesterday:)
also have a brushless chain saw, (that was an unbelievable deal) and a hedger,, all the same batteries

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just picked up one of these compact reciprocating saws, very handy around the home, pruning, roughing out lumber and small metal tube, pvc pipe and so on.

https://www.dewalt.com.au/products/dcs367n-xj--18v-xr-brushless-reciprocating-saw-bare-unit

and a set of Diablo blades to go with it

https://www.diablotools.com/products/DS0014S

I picked up one of these used at a flea market for $85 with a little wear on it. The thing is a monster compared to my porter cable saw. I put a 3A compact (21700 cells) battery in it and sawed off a few limbs and a 3 inch diameter tree trunk that was above ground and dead using an 8 inch pruning blade. The only two issues I have with the saw is rather loud and vibrates a lot but very powerful.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If I can go back to trimmers real quick, it all comes down to the head unit.

I had a Stihl 2-stroke, loved the engine, hated the head unit.
Replaced with a Echo 2-stroke, under powered engine, but a fantastic head unit.

Any trimmer; how well it feeds line & how easily it is to replace line.