corkscrew - lever type. Who's got one?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: corkscrew - lever type. Who\'s got one?

Darell said in another post that he doesn't much go farther than the EV will take him, and even from Davis, well...
tongue.gif

Just joking around of course.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened

Here's my two bits: the Leatherman "Juice XE6" pocket tool has a corkscrew and "assist" lever.

I just got the Juice and tried it on a wine bottle, but the lever seemed pretty ineffective, more a lesson in how not to design something. An astute Londoner reviewed this tool, on either Amazon.com or epinions.com, noting this and other flaws.

So this is more of a warning than a recommendation if you're into pulling corks.

On balance however the Juice is not bad as a general tool, especially if you can get it new on Ebay for $49 (like I did) instead of paying the $85-95 demanded elsewhere.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened

Oh yeah, beware of the $8 Oxo Good-Grips lever-type corkscrew. Mine broke inside the housing that fixes the top of the screw.

All I did was pull straight, hard, and fast on that sucker and it blew. Disappointing especially considering the attention Oxo has been getting for better ergonomic design.

Wish I could tell you the exact model but I took it back long ago.

Oxo also does a ~$20 corkscrew by the way.

Personally I went back to using $2.50 grocery store models.

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Padhraic Drakonchik:
Here's my two bits: the Leatherman "Juice XE6" pocket tool has a corkscrew and "assist" lever.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll tell you what - as difficult as the screws on various multi tools (beginning with the SAK) are to use... they've saved the day more times than I can remember!

Thanks for the warning though.

Oh, and guess what POS I'm using now? Yup, the $8 Oxo model. And yes, it does suck.

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by binky:
... he doesn't much go farther than the EV will take him, and even from Davis, well...
tongue.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just because I don't have the self-control to keep EVs out of any thread I'm involved with, I'll point out that I've driven an EV to all of the locations listed by BuddTX (well, except for Oregon):

Napa, Sonoma, Mendicino county.

But not for the purpose of drinking wine. Nooooo. That wouldn't be prudent.

Kirk

Enlightened

Darell,
My wife and I enjoy wine most every evening. Since I am the designated opener, I figured I'd get the quickest, easiest opener I could find. Here's what we found at Costco about 2 years ago http://www.iwawine.com/store/showitem.asp?k=CS21-003&f=0&hd=hd_pcork.gif&ft= . It's fast, simple (like me) and you can re-cork the bottle just by flipping the lever the other way. It has worked flawlessly on well over 200 bottles. It's the bestest!
Kirk

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just for kicks check out the corkscrew made by famed Italian bicycle component manufacturer Campagnolo. At $130 it ain't cheap but it is precision made...

web page Branford Bicycle

I'm partial to a good Pinot Grigio myself makes me think of spring right now.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

You guys have missed the boat completely. I saw this on QVC and was impressed to say the least. You stick the needle thing through the cork and then hit a button that lets a charge into the bottle. This pops the cork out, hence the name, "Cork Pop"

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened

What's wrong with a regular wine key? I used the same $10 one for 9 years as a waiter and never had any trouble. But I guess that's the same kind of question of why do I need two Arc LS', a McLux, MicroIlluminator, SureFires, Tigerlights, etc. when you can buy a $2 light at WallyWorld. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That Firefly sure looks cool too...

Darell

Flashaholic

Whoa. Here's a revived thread....

I ended up getting an insanely expensive "Rabbit" type opener which works quite well. Now I want a cork pop too, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

It's ok, keep the Rabbit for backup in case you run out of CO2 and there's no more in the house...

Darell

Flashaholic

Looks like you found a pretty good price in that link. Was that the result of your sluething, or should I bother trying more?

**CRAP! $10 shipping? Are you kidding me? Ryan - find me a better *delivered* price please!

Saaby

Flashaholic

That was the first link that came up, and happens to be the manufactuer.

Anyway here's the older Cork Pop for $20 shipped. No foil cutter.

Here are the refills. Maybe if you order at the same time you get cheaper combined shipping. Don't know.

This is another cool little gadget they make. Is it really necessary? I don't know--I don't drink wine...

Darell

Flashaholic

Naaa, don't need that other thing. That's what decanting and swirling are for!

Nope - if I'm gonna get a cool gadget - I'm not getting yesterday's model!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Trust me when I tell you that beer is my beverage of choice (even when I've managed to break the neck off when trying to pop the lid off on a park bench!) - but various activities in my life require me to open wine. Wanting red wine over beer sometimes is one of those reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic but reminds me of a party I went to last weekend. Beer of choice there was Heineken which requires a bottle opener. I was looking around for one when one of the women present just grabbed the butcher knife, the same one used to cut up the beef and pork and used it to pop off the cap just as easy as if it was a bottle opener instead of a knife. I thanked her but inwardly shuddered at the same time. Thoughts of Lorena Bobbit were swimming in my head.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

The "Rabbit" corkscrew was available at Costco for around $30 at one point (yes I had to have one, and bought some to give for Christmas gifts later that year). If you keep your eyes open, they show up there every now and again for about the same price... They had them fairly recently, even had a choice of silver or black.

Spudman

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:

Nope - if I'm gonna get a cool gadget - I'm not getting yesterday's model!

[/ QUOTE ]

Darell,
I have the older model and I think it is WAY cooler than the later version. The newer model seems to be the result of safety concerns at having an exposed needle.
I much prefer pulling out the DEADLY corkpop in front of my guests and slamming the needle into the cork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
It's pretty impressive. Works well unless the cork is loose, in which case it pushes the cork into the bottle.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Gary

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hey you could enact that scene from "Pulp Fiction" -- the one where John Travolta plunges that eight inch needle full of adrenalin into Amanda Plummer's ( or was it Uma Thurman's ? ) heart..just draw a red dot on the cork, wind up for a big wind mill swing, and stab the thing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Spudman

Enlightened

Ewww!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif