Corn Maze at Night, Mind Blown

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mt. Washington sounds like one heck of a corn maze.

Such a big corn maze, they even have a lodge and a restaurant with a train! :huh:

The white mountains can be a deadly maze if you're not prepared. Most trails are identified, but if you don't know the trail names and where they lead (or more intelligently carry a map) you can end up in very remote areas where very few hikers thread...

bodhran

Enlightened
I know what you mean. Have a few friends who backpack. The best and lightest, stoves, tents, packs, sleeping bags. Then the cheapset flashlight they can find and maybe enought batteries.

Scubie67

Enlightened
Ive been in a corn field before but never a maze corn field ,pardon my ignorance but can you not just bust through the rows in one direction until you get out in an emergency? Is there a common sense factor maybe with that family considering entering before closing time with a newborn?

JacobJones

Enlightened
Ive been in a corn field before but never a maze corn field ,pardon my ignorance but can you not just bust through the rows in one direction until you get out in an emergency?

You can, but if you go the wrong way you might end up in a worse predicament. What if the corn field was 30+ acres but they only made a small part of the field into a maze? (this is what they do with corn mazes here). Those people could end up stumbling through many many acres tripping over things, getting smacked in the face by leaves and corncobs, eventually they'll probably reach the edge of the field and then they've got to try and find their way back to the car park in the dark. depending on the size of the fields it could take them hours, if they don't break their legs. They could end up too far away for anyone to here them shouting for help. Over here they make us carry flags to hold up if we get lost and they walk around checking nobody is left in the maze before closing.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
to the guys saying they would have done it without lights.

i don't think you understand how dark or how large these mazes are.

in the dark sections of the maze. you can't see your hand in front of your face. no matter how long you let your eyes adjust. you are effectively blind. not to mention we did not finish the maze in time. we were in for 3 1/2hours. the record for this maze was 2 hours 10 minutes.

believe me pitch darkness on 5 acres in a maze is not fun

i will be attempting their new maze this year and will be bringing my lights once again

You're whetting my appetite for corn maze flashlight goodness! Where is this special maze?

Scubie67

Enlightened
You can, but if you go the wrong way you might end up in a worse predicament. What if the corn field was 30+ acres but they only made a small part of the field into a maze? (this is what they do with corn mazes here). Those people could end up stumbling through many many acres tripping over things, getting smacked in the face by leaves and corncobs, eventually they'll probably reach the edge of the field and then they've got to try and find their way back to the car park in the dark. depending on the size of the fields it could take them hours, if they don't break their legs. They could end up too far away for anyone to here them shouting for help. Over here they make us carry flags to hold up if we get lost and they walk around checking nobody is left in the maze before closing.

Yeah but in this case it says the family was only 25 from the road though:

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/articl...ily_lost_in_Mass_corn_maze_calls_911_for_help

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this maze 3 years ago with the wife.

http://www.coolpatchpumpkins.com/

At the time it was recognized by "The Guinness Book of World Records" as the worlds largest. I used an M6 w/MN15 and the wife had a L2. It was an overcast night and the lights were totally cool overkill.

This year I will take my 3 and 4 year old daughters with another family with 2 boys the same age. I will go for spooky this year and will use my E2O. 25 lumens of incan goodness. The kids will get glow sticks.

I love this time of year, especially around Halloween.

kelmo

Coop57

Enlightened
Ive been in a corn field before but never a maze corn field ,pardon my ignorance but can you not just bust through the rows in one direction until you get out in an emergency? Is there a common sense factor maybe with that family considering entering before closing time with a newborn?
Having a newborn can cause the brain to work on less than 50%.

justlux

Newly Enlightened
I went to a corn maze at night and brought along with me my Eagletac M3C4 XM-L, Maelstrom X10 and extra batteries. Also some chocolate, 1 litre bottle of water and some sweets. While queueing up to the entrance of the maze a group of guys were testing their lights and saying how bright they were. Feeling a little left out i turned on the X10 to high and blew them all away! :whistle: They all seemed really impressed, but no-one asked me what torch it was.

Ten minutes into the maze, i came across a bridge where you can look down. For fun i switched on my Eagletac M3C4 and X10 both on max, held them together and pointed up to the sky, and branches of trees nearby. I thought the combined beam worked out really well. Once i had finished the maze everyone saw me emerging with just the X10 in hand, and thought this small light created the bright beam that everyone saw earlier.

So much light from such a small girl :devil:

blub

Enlightened
Was this the one?

45e41f74.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
Every time I go hiking I come across people wearing street shoes, cotton, no equipment, 500mL of water in a clear bottle under the sun and no food or snack on a trail that takes 3 to 6 hours -sometimes more, I've seen them trying for mount Washington! I also see them leaving the base of the mountain when I'm just back from the trail, no more than an hour ahead of sunset and they're going up there with nothing in their hands and I'm sure none of them ever thought a flashlight would be a good thing to bring. I'm actually VERY surprised that there are not more deaths in the mountains.
My last encounter topped that:
Two girls with two dogs, cotton t-shirts and jeans. This is the dead of summer and it is merely weeks after hitting record highs of 100º in the mountains. My coworker and I ran into them while backpacking and they were about 4 miles in either direction from a road, and maybe 7 miles from their car. I asked them if they had water and they said no. I said I'd refill their bottles and they looked at each other and said they'd "lost their bottles along the trail," so my coworker gave them his 1L Nalgene to drink from. They each took a sip and then let the dogs DRINK FROM THE BOTTLE, then hand it back to my coworker. Meanwhile there's a perfectly good lake nearby for the dogs to drink from since dogs have stronger immune systems for backcountry water, and my coworker's bottle has dog slobber all over it. 500 feet later, we come across the girls' soda bottles, 16oz of sweetened iced tea. Some people deserve to die on the trail...

fyrstormer

Banned
My last encounter topped that:
Two girls with two dogs, cotton t-shirts and jeans. This is the dead of summer and it is merely weeks after hitting record highs of 100º in the mountains. My coworker and I ran into them while backpacking and they were about 4 miles in either direction from a road, and maybe 7 miles from their car. I asked them if they had water and they said no. I said I'd refill their bottles and they looked at each other and said they'd "lost their bottles along the trail," so my coworker gave them his 1L Nalgene to drink from. They each took a sip and then let the dogs DRINK FROM THE BOTTLE, then hand it back to my coworker. Meanwhile there's a perfectly good lake nearby for the dogs to drink from since dogs have stronger immune systems for backcountry water, and my coworker's bottle has dog slobber all over it. 500 feet later, we come across the girls' soda bottles, 16oz of sweetened iced tea. Some people deserve to die on the trail...
That's what you get for trying to be nice, am I right?

Amix

Newly Enlightened
hmm I've never been in a corn maze but I visited a local pumpkin patch yesterday and they were advertising that they were doing a flashlight corn maze at night, and I did think about going because it'd be fun to play with my SR90 there, but reading this topic, it seems like that would be out-of-place because it's bright.

passive101

Enlightened
Yeah. Please be mindful of those there for the experience of doing it in low/no light. It's fun for groups, families, and couples. Plus it's a good opertunity to have your girl close to you ;)

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I'd TAKE a flashlight (or three lol) into a corn maze at night, but I'd try my best not to actually use one. Like how someone commented in this thread - would you fire one up in a haunted house?

Not unless there was some kind of trouble that made it necessary - otherwise I'm there to enjoy that darkness!

Latest posts