Corn Maze at Night, Mind Blown

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My last encounter topped that:
Two girls with two dogs, cotton t-shirts and jeans. This is the dead of summer and it is merely weeks after hitting record highs of 100º in the mountains. My coworker and I ran into them while backpacking and they were about 4 miles in either direction from a road, and maybe 7 miles from their car. I asked them if they had water and they said no. I said I'd refill their bottles and they looked at each other and said they'd "lost their bottles along the trail," so my coworker gave them his 1L Nalgene to drink from. They each took a sip and then let the dogs DRINK FROM THE BOTTLE, then hand it back to my coworker. Meanwhile there's a perfectly good lake nearby for the dogs to drink from since dogs have stronger immune systems for backcountry water, and my coworker's bottle has dog slobber all over it. 500 feet later, we come across the girls' soda bottles, 16oz of sweetened iced tea. Some people deserve to die on the trail...

EEEWWWW!

I learned about clothes the hard way myself (but I did learn), but always had enough common sense to bring plenty of water and various supplies. Dog slobber on someone else's bottle + littering = they need a good lesson on behavior and preparedness (a good hard kick in the rear I might say.)

That's a pretty misanthropic statement. This because they were unprepared? Or was it the dog slobber, and littering? :ohgeez:

Lovely conclusions on human nature, and dealing with others. Thanks for making this thread less fun!

No one said this applies to everyone. We're talking about a specific case here... a very special case... and yes, because of the dog slobber and littering. Walking in hot weather without water is a hard lesson on preparedness on its own.

Pawnshop

Newly Enlightened
I took the Old Town Ghost Tour in Albuquerque a few years back with my girlfriend and her mother, and my constant companion Gladius. I had the light in hand because Mom was unsteady on her feet and somewhat night blind due to a stroke, and I was SURE someone was going to jump out from the shadows at some point for dramatic effect and I wanted to give them a blast in the face:) At one point in the tour the guide was telling a story that took place in a building about 100' away from us and a patron was confused as to exactly where he was referring, from behind my back I lit up the window in question with a perfectly aimed shaft of light from Gladys and the guide almost pooed himself! We all had a good laugh once I let them know it was me, but he really thought he was witnessing a real ghost "event"!

John4

Newly Enlightened
Similar story, except I was out camping with some friends. It was a warm, dark and moonless night. Well after dark we decided to hike down the trail to a swimming spot on the river. Coming the other way was a group of bright young lads who had obviously come down the trail earlier in the day to the river for a day of partying. They had on street clothes and sneakers. They had no flashlights, but were carrying a large cooler full of beer. I admired their dedication in carrying a cooler full of beer miles from the parking lot, and carrying the empties out. However, in order to see the trail, these guys were making torches on sticks with their clothes. They were nearly naked, shredding their clothes as they walked, and still had several miles of uphill hiking to get to the parking lot. We went the same way back to the parking lot the following morning. I was pleased to see the guys apparently made it back to the parking lot, didn't create any forest fires, and didn't ditch their cooler. I suspect they learned more than several valuable lessons.

John4

Newly Enlightened
I should also admit that I was once one of the unprepared. Roughly 15 years ago I went on a moonless backpacking trip. As dusk approached, we walked maybe 1/4 mile away, through thick woods, to a beautiful rock outcropping overlooking the valley. I had my trusty mini-mag light. LED flashlights were in their infancy, and I knew nothing about them. I was very tired, and left the rock outcropping before everyone else, to go back to the tent for some sleep. Half way back, my mini-mag failed due to old batteries. I didn't have a back-up light, or spare batteries. After tripping several times in complete darkness, I ended up crawling most of the way back to the campsite, mostly be sense of touch. Now I carry a Quark flashlight with the 18650 battery tube, and (2) spare 18650 batteries. Also always with me now is the cell phone. The cell phone backlight is good for navigating a dark house, but the video light offers significantly brighter light. I saw an Android app on a friends phone that displayed a flashlight, and lit the video light. It actually had several brightness settings. If they would only drop a Cree LED in the cell phone!

TheEpeter

Newly Enlightened
Most people are completely unprepared for just about everything.

LMAO!! So True!!

My favorites are the people who pull out their cell phones and use a flashlight app or the camera flash.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Similar story, except I was out camping with some friends. It was a warm, dark and moonless night. Well after dark we decided to hike down the trail to a swimming spot on the river. Coming the other way was a group of bright young lads who had obviously come down the trail earlier in the day to the river for a day of partying. They had on street clothes and sneakers. They had no flashlights, but were carrying a large cooler full of beer. I admired their dedication in carrying a cooler full of beer miles from the parking lot, and carrying the empties out. However, in order to see the trail, these guys were making torches on sticks with their clothes. They were nearly naked, shredding their clothes as they walked, and still had several miles of uphill hiking to get to the parking lot. We went the same way back to the parking lot the following morning. I was pleased to see the guys apparently made it back to the parking lot, didn't create any forest fires, and didn't ditch their cooler. I suspect they learned more than several valuable lessons.
Story made my day :D

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
They had no flashlights, but were carrying a large cooler full of beer. I admired their dedication in carrying a cooler full of beer miles from the parking lot, and carrying the empties out.

LOL !!!
That cracked me up and reminded me of my younger days.. As long as we had beer who needed a light? LOL

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never did a corn maze. I don't know if they even have any near Las Vegas. Time to google search.

I went to the Lehman mines in Nevada and when the guide said it was ok to bring a flashlight, I said, "Hold on!" I ran back to my car and got my HDS U85. We went deep into the caves and it was awesome! Too bad they had mounted lights throughout the caves, I wanted to pierce the pitch black cave system but every walkway was partially lit.

Jeff

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL !!!
That cracked me up and reminded me of my younger days.. As long as we had beer who needed a light? LOL

What flash light? We got Bud Light!
Lighting the way by making FOAS with their clothes? :crackup: Priceless! Hopefully they remembered more than just some cavemen fantasies and bought at least one flashlight before their next trip (if there ever was one...)

Last edited:

tylernt

Enlightened
My favorites are the people who pull out their cell phones and use a flashlight app or the camera flash.
Actually the camera flash flashlight app seems cool to me. Why carry a separate flashlight if you already have one in a phone you EDC anyway? Depending on the phone it can be surprisingly bright, I'd guess mine is easily 30+ lumens and has an almost perfectly smooth floody 90° beam thanks to a fresnel lens. It easily surpasses any 5mm "real" flashlight and rivals low- and medium-mode power LEDs in performance. Runtime should also be pretty good with the phone's Li-po battery though I'm afraid to test it as I don't know how well heatsinked it is and I don't want to bake my $300 phone's emitter! Hm, come to think of it, my phone is the most expensive flashlight I own. :)

Of course, as a flashaholic I also EDC a "real" flashlight, but it's still nice to have my smartphone's camera flash flashlight as a backup.

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
Actually the camera flash flashlight app seems cool to me. Why carry a separate flashlight if you already have one in a phone you EDC anyway? Depending on the phone it can be surprisingly bright, I'd guess mine is easily 30+ lumens and has an almost perfectly smooth floody 90° beam thanks to a fresnel lens. It easily surpasses any 5mm "real" flashlight and rivals low- and medium-mode power LEDs in performance. Runtime should also be pretty good with the phone's Li-po battery though I'm afraid to test it as I don't know how well heatsinked it is and I don't want to bake my $300 phone's emitter! Hm, come to think of it, my phone is the most expensive flashlight I own. :)

Of course, as a flashaholic I also EDC a "real" flashlight, but it's still nice to have my smartphone's camera flash flashlight as a backup.

I couldn't agree more. Especially when I am at work, it is difficult to EDC much on my person. The LED on my DROID X is quite bright, has a warm tint, and is always with me!

na1lb0hm

Newly Enlightened
Never been told to "bring a flashlight" and then not. More the opposite of "Really, you actually brought a flashlight?"

About two summers we had a massive storm blow through, right in the middle of cooking some very large, juicy steaks for a friend's birthday. The cook, quickly ran to his farm truck to grab his "trusty, never let me down" mag light, about the same time I went to my truck to grab my surefire e2dl.
I came back in with everyone chuckling " that's not going to do anything, look at how small it is! You need a mag light."
Well, the mag light's D batteries died with in five minutes, so I wandered over with the surefire.....
I won't get into specifics, but you can guess who got first choice of steak. haha.

I think that farm only runs surefire lights now. Last time I was out there, there was one in every truck, tractor and two in the entry way.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this story before but it is appropriate for this thread. I was hiking down from Half Dome in Yosemite and came down late way back before LED lights became mainstream. Myself and the buddy I was hiking down with had mini-mags. It got dark and we picked up lots of stranded people who weren't prepared for darkness. We did catchup to another hiker with a flashlight but was slowed because he had really depleted cells. The three of us brought down about 25 other people.

I now notice these days Yosemite now warns people who hike to have a flashlight.

Being un-prepared these days is un-excusable. Considering we have available small long burning bright lights, multi-tools, water filters, gortex, GPS, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
A sign at the start of a trail doesn't really help. People need to learn to be prepared. They should have a flashlight in their trunk (car boot) at the very least.

TheEpeter

Newly Enlightened
Actually the camera flash flashlight app seems cool to me. Why carry a separate flashlight if you already have one in a phone you EDC anyway? ...

Okay, valid point, but when you see someone using a camera flash from taking pictures of the ground ahead of them on their phone as their means of "lighting the way" you'll probably laugh at them as well.

And I totally have a flashlight app on my phone. Why not? But it's not my go to light when I need any real personal lighting solution. What happens when I need my phone for communication and I ran the battery down chatting it up with some watery tot? Then I have 2 problems instead of 1...which I could have avoided by not getting stuck in the dark in the first place, but whatever, man. Whatever.

Also, I'm a total jerk who likes to laugh at other, less prepared individuals ;)

...not to say I wouldn't help out if needed...

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
How many knuckleheads were confident that their cellphone backlight was their "flashlight"?
I hate it when I am out after dark with friends and I ask if they have a flashlight, then they pull out their Iphone and say does this count? Thats when they get hit with about 500 lumens!

tylernt

Enlightened
Okay, valid point, but when you see someone using a camera flash from taking pictures of the ground ahead of them on their phone as their means of "lighting the way" you'll probably laugh at them as well.
Yeah, that's pretty lame.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone remember that phone commercial a few years ago that shows the group of young teenagers going to a party location in the woods? They're using their phones to get direction through the woods and so on, and when it gets dark there's a scene with the kids walking with the phones held out in front of them for light.

So apparently by now people in general are conditioned to think that all you need in any situation is a cell phone and nothing else! :shakehead

If the commercial were true to life, then it'd show that after the party's over (at an abandoned building in the woods) at 3am and everyone realizes it's cold and they have no heat, food, or water, they decide to walk back out to civilization only to discover that their phones are dead because they've been blabbing on them and fooling with them all night. A wretched shivering night is followed up the next day by the search and rescue team finding the group and leading them back.

Of course, inconvenient reality doesn't make for a good tv commercial! :whistle: