Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
Looks like my 13 day Med cruise (Italy-Croatia-Greece-Monaco-France-Spain) in April probably will be cancelled.

Have you heard anything from the cruise company? Our family is going on a Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico end of April also for a friend's anniversary - I sure hope it all goes as planned.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
2-AC5-A704-E958-490-A-B5-CC-02-E510-E1-D2-A4.jpg

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's getting pretty real now... waiting for the crisis management team at my company to announce something.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Anybody taking this virus more seriously yet? It's in the U.S.

Gonna be serious for the stock exchange before it gets serious for people's health.

We sure are selling a lot of face masks, even after the surgeon general told everyone to stop doing that..

Up to 45 million Americans get the flu and up to 60k die from it annually

Common flu mortality rate is 0.1%, COVID-19 is 2%.

nbp

Flashaholic
Common flu mortality rate is 0.1%, COVID-19 is 2%.

Yes but that's a Pretty small sample size. Billions of people have had the flu; 85,000 have had coronavirus so there is much to learn yet. It's possible people with mild symptoms who recovered did not report it and were not tested which would also lower that percentage.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for that link, fascinating! The covid-19 info wasn't even the most interesting public health stats on that page to me.

>10% of the world population is undernourished
~1/3 of the world population is overweight or obese
>10% of the world population doesn't have safe drinking water
~1% of the world population dies every year from smoking

Wowza...

scout24

Flashaholic
My biggest fear is public panic and emptying store shelves as when severe weather is forecast. Combined with slowing restock from overseas, I think there will be shortages in the near future. Our own fault, but we rely so heavily on items from the far east, and practice just in time stocking. Fingers crossed that there is some containment, and we're back to normal fairly soon.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer and I were in a grocery store yesterday and at checkout noticed really long lines. No snow forecast, not super bowl Sunday…… wonder what's up. I noticed there was an elderly lady waiting for her turn but there was a large enough gap beyween her cart and others that folks just parked theirs in front of hers. She only had a few items, but was not moving forward. I parked my cart in front of hers too. Afterall she was just standing there about 10 feet from the next cart. So a lady asked if she was in line. She replied she was. That lady only had a few items as well so I urged both to move in front of me.

The older lady said she was trying to avoid contracting that "beer virus". I said "they'll have a vacine soon hopefully. The other lady says "speaking of vacines did you know child vacinations have 25% more mercury than allowed by law?" Mrs Fixer looked at me mystified. The older lady said "I never get a flu vacine because every time I did before I got really sick." The other lady says "that's because vacines contain more mercury than allowed by law, it's true, doctor such n such said it on facebook so you know its true". The older lady looked at me mystified. I replied to the older lady "I got flu shot in 1995 and got really sick that year". On cue the other lady says "thats because of all of the mercury in vacines." "Of course you got sick, vacines have 25% more mercury than allowed by law." She went on and on about child vacines and how she'll never let her children get them. The older lady says "my kids got vacines and they're fine." I said "mine too". Mrs Fixer said "I doubt vacines had anything to do with how mine turned out". On cue "well doctor such n such said on facebook that vacines are harmful". I just chuckled and said "imagine how awesome our kids would have turned out if they had not drank from water hoses, swam in creeks, ran around barefoot in summer or received vacinations".……then I bid a farewell to the older lady and moved away from Mercury mom to a line that was moving faster.

Why was the store so crowded? I still don't know.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question of wearing masks has different opinions. Here from Centers for Disease Control And Prevention (when already sick, wear a mask or stay away from others including pets):

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html

And from New Atlas, supposedly a treatment to masks for increased effectiveness:

https://newatlas.com/salt-treated-surgical-masks-viruses/47275/

Seems like historically, humanity (not some individuals) became stronger after exposure to pathogens. Most people infected apparently do not get especially sick. Has anyone mentioned eating healthy foods, remaining positive about life (including kindness toward others), gratitude, and a good looking useful flashlight?

wweiss

Enlightened
Mrs Fixer and I were in a grocery store yesterday and at checkout noticed really long lines. No snow forecast, not super bowl Sunday…… wonder what's up. I noticed there was an elderly lady waiting for her turn but there was a large enough gap beyween her cart and others that folks just parked theirs in front of hers. She only had a few items, but was not moving forward. I parked my cart in front of hers too. Afterall she was just standing there about 10 feet from the next cart. So a lady asked if she was in line. She replied she was. That lady only had a few items as well so I urged both to move in front of me.

The older lady said she was trying to avoid contracting that "beer virus". I said "they'll have a vacine soon hopefully. The other lady says "speaking of vacines did you know child vacinations have 25% more mercury than allowed by law?" Mrs Fixer looked at me mystified. The older lady said "I never get a flu vacine because every time I did before I got really sick." The other lady says "that's because vacines contain more mercury than allowed by law, it's true, doctor such n such said it on facebook so you know its true". The older lady looked at me mystified. I replied to the older lady "I got flu shot in 1995 and got really sick that year". On cue the other lady says "thats because of all of the mercury in vacines." "Of course you got sick, vacines have 25% more mercury than allowed by law." She went on and on about child vacines and how she'll never let her children get them. The older lady says "my kids got vacines and they're fine." I said "mine too". Mrs Fixer said "I doubt vacines had anything to do with how mine turned out". On cue "well doctor such n such said on facebook that vacines are harmful". I just chuckled and said "imagine how awesome our kids would have turned out if they had not drank from water hoses, swam in creeks, ran around barefoot in summer or received vacinations".……then I bid a farewell to the older lady and moved away from Mercury mom to a line that was moving faster.

Why was the store so crowded? I still don't know.

I always move far away from "Mercury Moms".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dude on my local radio pointed out that corona virus is listed on a can of Lysol as things it kills

Realizing this new one is a new strain, it just solidified that common sense and a little luck can go a long ways towards avoiding illness.

Another fellow on the radio was saying there are a bunch of companies reopening in China as it seems the spread is subsiding. That was a stock market guy telling one of the reasons the market stopped falling today. That and the American government's bank is going to start lowering interest and printing money if need be.

Still, good advice is good advice regardless of the latest virus to end all life on earth.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you heard anything from the cruise company? Our family is going on a Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico end of April also for a friend's anniversary - I sure hope it all goes as planned.

Viking has really "stepped up to the plate" on this. Up to 3 days prior to embarkation we can cancel and get a 100% voucher for any destination travel within 24 mos. Now we'll just wait and see how the impact develops...

Update: Looks like we're rescheduling for next year. By then I'm sure the outlook will be much better (fingers-crossed) for everyone's sake.

Last edited:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier I was kinda worried about my parents (both around 80y) if this virus turns into a pandemic. Not there yet... quite... but slowly seeming to go there. But for my parents, that worry has passed. Why?

My mother lives in a nursing home these days. She's got several health problems (slowly progressing dementia, left hand & leg don't co-operate too well, low bone density, ...), and many of her days are rather boring. In her own words: "if my time comes today, I wouldn't mind". Not that she has a strong death wish, but you could say she's 'done' with her life. She's doing okay for the moment and her dementia is progressing only veeerrry slowly, but her long-term outlook isn't anyone's idea of a fun experience. Likewise a simple fall could lead to death, and she's had a few falls too many already.

So I though about what if this virus breaks out everywhere, and she gets hit with it? (good chance it would). Then: a) she'd be sick for maybe a week or two, and not worry about it after that. Or b) she'd be sick for a week or two, and not have to worry about anything anymore after that. :crazy: I reckon either outcome would be acceptable for her. And I would have peace with that. There's worse ways to go than a week with a bad case of the flu...

Yeah I know it sounds crude to say it like that but that's how things are. And my dad? In much better health. I suspect he'd just shake it off like most people despite his age. My sister & myself aren't in the risk groups and doing fine health wise.

So my worries there have stopped, and returned to general worrying about this virus' effect on the world's population, should we fail to contain this outbreak. In that respect it could be devastating. One only has to read up on the numbers for common flu, understand that this virus is a lot more deadly, and then read some about what things like the Spanish flu or the plague did back in the day. Or what some diseases like malaria or tuberculosis continue to do today. But well... poop happens & life goes on.

Mrs Fixer and I were in a grocery store yesterday and at checkout noticed really long lines. No snow forecast, not super bowl Sunday…… wonder what's up.
Seen on the news that many people are raiding supermarket shelves in some European countries (UK, France, Germany, Italy, maybe more). Mostly the hand sanitizers & related of course. But regular food items too. Imho: when the general public does this, a clear sign things are getting interesting.

My biggest fear is public panic and emptying store shelves as when severe weather is forecast. Combined with slowing restock from overseas, I think there will be shortages in the near future. Our own fault, but we rely so heavily on items from the far east, and practice just in time stocking. Fingers crossed that there is some containment, and we're back to normal fairly soon.
It's mostly cheap gadgets & clothing that comes from the Far East... we can do without for a while. Everyday food items come from within the EU for me, from the Netherlands itself (where I live), or it's dry goods like beans, lentils & rice of which I normally have at least a month's worth @ home. Drinking water: ditto. Fuel for cooking: same. Batteries for powering flashlights: aaaggges. :laughing: So I felt kind of like "stupid unprepared folks out there raiding supermarket shelves on a virus scare". I'm guessing there's quite a few people on here who would have no problem duking it out for a couple of weeks (or longer) should things turn bad.
So: relax, nothing is under control. :popcorn:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Retro,

Please check credible news sources, the elderly, and young children are the most vulnerable, not only to come down with the virus but also have it terminal. Also, it was reported that officials are worried about nursing, and retirement homes.

Right now, there is quite a bit of the sky is falling...is sells soap.

Forget the American TV networks, and all cable news. Check the Assoicated Press.

Dont worry too much.

Best,

RedLED

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.