Counterfeit products marketed from China should start to tighten up, the near future.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good example that the result could easily be life or death, is automotive airbags.

There is currently a flood of deficient counterfeit replacement airbags being brought illegally into this country.

Do you care if it looks real ? or do you care if it performs as expected and specified ? The counterfeits are proven to have reliability and performance problems.
Are you willing to stake your life on a counterfeit airbag ?
It was likely sold to you at full Dealership price or close to that, when the independent shop repaired your car after an accident.

Lets see how you address this case.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It's (almost) fun to poke fun at pathetic knockoffs with misspelled brand names and such -- awhile back Dan Stern sent me screen shots of some particularly laughable spams he got advertising knockoff HID bulbs.

But there's worse. Most kinds of cockroaches scurry and go away when you shine light on them. Counterfeiters, on the other hand, form trade associations that engage in lobbying and propaganda campaigns. Result: it becomes very difficult to get your car fixed back to its original condition, at least under insurance, because these companies and their trade associations trumpet their bogus "certifications" and repeat their lies about "OEM quality" loud enough and often enough that the insurance and car repair industries, and consumers, come to believe it. That way the counterfeiters don't have to worry about an image problem or a bad reputation or doubt and uncertainty among potential buyers. Cheap knockoffs are still substandard, inferior counterfeit parts whether or not the fraud their makers commit includes unauthorized use of a registered trade name or trademark.

And that's not the only kind of fraud these counterfeiters engage in, either (I guess once you're doing one kind of fraud, why not do more...) Below is from an article about 13 months ago:

Taiwanese lighting supplier TYC Brother Industrial and their American distributor Genera Corporation are floating a $25-million deal to end ongoing US legal pursuit of a long-running price-fixing conspiracy. The conspiracy to artificially inflate prices and reduce supplies involved most of the major Chinese and Taiwanese aftermarket vehicle lighting makers, including Depo/Maxzone, Eagle Eyes Traffic Industrial, and Sabry Lee/E-Light. If the deal is accepted, TYC will be the final conspirator to settle. A jury trial was soon to begin when the settlement offer was filed.

Price-fixing is a competition-distorting agreement between two or more parties to charge a certain price for comparable products. It is widely illegal in the developed world. In previous phases of the litigation, Eagle Eyes paid a $5-million criminal fine and a $3-million civil fine, Depo/Maxzone—who have previously been prosecuted for price-fixing—paid $43 million in criminal fines and $25 million in civil fines, and Sabry Lee paid $200,000 and $450,000, respectively. TYC brought the illegal collusion to the attention of the US Department of Justice, thus earning a whistleblower amnesty shield against paying triple damages as provided by the applicable US law, but this past August a US Federal Judge cancelled the TYC amnesty on findings that TYC had misrepresented facts, withheld and delayed information, and otherwise not fully cooperated with the investigation.

The settlement deal would see direct purchasers of TYC/Genera lighting components receive $23 million in cash and $2 million in product credits—a figure more than double the recovery rate for the nearest other settling accused party, and amounting to 12.6% of TYC's sales to class members during the timespan of the conspiracy.

Also if you're on LinkedIn, login and check out this discussion (another send from Stern).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the product is of high quality, it should be salable on its own merits, without misappropriating a company's names and trademarks.

Yep.

I'd rather wear a genuine Timex than a fake Rolex. Will the fake Rolex outperform the Timex? Possibly, depending on who made the movement and case. Or it could fall apart in minutes. The quality isn't the the issue-- the fake Rolex is a fraud. Where's the real "status" in a status symbol that people are so desperate to wear that they'll knowingly wear a fake? Might as well pour your Best Choice Cola into a Coca-Cola bottle to impress people.

I would prefer the fake Rolex all day long rather than a Timex.Imo they will never stop the fakes,there are clothing factories in the UK churning the stuff out and they have been trying for years to stop it but not a chance.

Lacost snides for 10% to 20% of the real sell like hot cakes,the [Pejorative epithet deleted by moderator]change there clothes like we eat hot dinners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer the fake Rolex all day long rather than a Timex.Imo they will never stop the fakes,there are clothing factories in the UK churning the stuff out and they have been trying for years to stop it but not a chance.

Lacost snides for 10% to 20% of the real sell like hot cakes,the chavs change there clothes like we eat hot dinners.

Wow, you are directly supporting counterfeit activities.

This post has earned you a spot in my ignore list.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got burned on some vehicle parts bought from Europe, made in China. It was in a box that looked like the real thing. Wouldn't fit, wouldn't work. Obviously shoddy next to the real thing. Seller insisted they were genuine and worked.

Burned. I'd like to have an extremely polite word with the people doing this.

Counterfeit junk drives me insane.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer the fake Rolex all day long rather than a Timex.
Why would you ever?

Little tip for all,using cheap bulbs leads to the headlamp unit taking on that yellow colour.
And wearing a fake Rolex leads to the wrist taking on that green color.

By buying counterfeit ANYTHING, you're feeding the market for counterfeit products. Maybe it's just a watch, or maybe it's medical equipment or an airbag.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
I would prefer the fake Rolex all day long rather than a Timex.

I prefer the honestly made and marketed product over that which is illicitly produced.

The global counterfeit products business isn't some theoretically benign white collar criminal activity.

If there is a way to turn the counterfeit tide, educated consumers must play a role. You are saying that you'll willingly and knowingly participate in the counterfeit trade no matter who is hurt along the way and in the end.

tandem

Enlightened
Look at the cigarettes part of the last article, scary for those of you who smoke. Likely close to 1/3 of cigarettes sold in the USA are counterfeits and they are contaminated.

^^^ this is why I have my doubts about legalization of marijuana. Criminals don't suddenly pack up their tents simply because a taxation regime is implemented, so my as yet unanswered question is: what are the criminals doing today?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ this is why I have my doubts about legalization of marijuana. Criminals don't suddenly pack up their tents simply because a taxation regime is implemented, so my as yet unanswered question is: what are the criminals doing today?

It would be ironic, if they went from selling Marijuana illegally, then its legal, and then selling counterfeit cigarettes, as the replacement criminal endeavor.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm reminded of some news stories about the South American cartels and how they have gone legit in a majority of their operations.

Some believe that mcnair55 is a counterfeit troll, too

No sir! He's the genuine article! :) It takes a Mcnair to stand up for alkalines.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Counterfeit products marketed from China should start to tighten up, the near...

You hit the Spanish resorts and you can buy all the names you want for a few quid each which is better than the replica watch sites that want over a £100 per watch.

Why would you ever?

Because they are available and the market is massive.

And wearing a fake Rolex leads to the wrist taking on that green color.

By buying counterfeit ANYTHING, you're feeding the market for counterfeit products. Maybe it's just a watch, or maybe it's medical equipment or an airbag.

A fake Rolex is no different to a £10 watch sold in a store and it does not make your wrist go green at all.

I prefer the honestly made and marketed product over that which is illicitly produced.

The global counterfeit products business isn't some theoretically benign white collar criminal activity.

If there is a way to turn the counterfeit tide, educated consumers must play a role. You are saying that you'll willingly and knowingly participate in the counterfeit trade no matter who is hurt along the way and in the end.

Correct it is a massive criminal activity.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: Counterfeit products marketed from China should start to tighten up, the near...

mcnair55 said:
I would prefer the fake Rolex all day long rather than a Timex
Why?
You hit the Spanish resorts and you can buy all the names you want for a few quid each which is better than the replica watch sites that want over a £100 per watch.

...Yes, counterfeits are available. That's already established; there's no need to restate it. The question at hand is why you would prefer a fake Rolex over a genuine Timex. It's probably not because you think it's a real Rolex...is it because you think other people will be impressed that you appear to have a Rolex?

...a massive criminal activity which you have stated you like to support. Why is that?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a false dichotomy. The third option is to not buy ANY fraudulent products. This way, you keep every tuppence of your hard-earned cash rather than give it to thieves.

A fake Rolex is no different to a £10 watch sold in a store and it does not make your wrist go green at all.
It is different. The difference is that the cheap watch in the corner shop isn't unlawfully using the intellectual property of Rolex, including their trademarks, trade names, designs, and copyrights.

And it'd stop if people quit buying counterfeit products. Downloading copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright owner is unlawful. Purchasing items made using stolen intellectual property (like a counterfeit watch) sadly isn't. I almost wish that it were. Maybe then, counterfeit products wouldn't be so widespread.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a false dichotomy. The third option is to not buy ANY fraudulent products. This way, you keep every tuppence of your hard-earned cash rather than give it to thieves.

It is different. The difference is that the cheap watch in the corner shop isn't unlawfully using the intellectual property of Rolex, including their trademarks, trade names, designs, and copyrights.

And it'd stop if people quit buying counterfeit products. Downloading copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright owner is unlawful. Purchasing items made using stolen intellectual property (like a counterfeit watch) sadly isn't. I almost wish that it were. Maybe then, counterfeit products wouldn't be so widespread.

The most ironic thing is, that the same people who like buying from the counterfeit trade, would cry bloody murder if it was hurting their pocket, if someone was doing it to them. They only care when it directly hurts them, who cares about any one else.
Its also interesting how the profits from this dirty trade get used (funneled) to create and fund legitimate business as well. All for the purpose to "clean" the money and improve their image (self image) and legitimize their operations.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Let's not have any more discussion about the merits of buying known counterfeit products. .

Bill

Last edited: