Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output...

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

Nitecore d10. I got zebras and malkoff and 4 sevens etc. But the old d10 with the piston drive design and ramping output, shortcut to hi/lo, is imo hard to beat. Especially if you put a xp-l hi in it :)

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

What have I missed?
Clicky designs are good too

I enjoy my Fenix LD12... Excellent throw, has a tight well-defined hot spot... The 'High' mode (65 lumens) should give you over 4 hours run time... I find that my most used mode setting... Turbo mode (125 lumens) with approx 2 hours run time... Medium mode (30 lumens) with an estimated 10 hours run time... TheLow mode (3) lumens I really never utilize.... Forward clicky with Momentary-On and Mode-Memory... There is also a Strobe & S.O.S. mode.... The light feels solid and well-constructed....

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened

How can you beat the zebralight SC5/52 ? Best interface, long run times, super bright...

low

Enlightened

How can you beat the zebralight SC5/52 ? Best interface, long run times, super bright...

It would be hard, the SC52d high cri would be my choice. I have the L3 L11C and it stayed in my pocket a lot (4 speed, tail clicky), just because it rides well in my pocket. But to have the ability to come on low or high makes it a very good choice (SC52d). Besides, I think Zebralight is using the Easy White now instead of the Luxeon, because the SC52d that I just got in has no hint of blue , very white light, I like it. Besides, it's on sale now.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Besides, I think Zebralight is using the Easy White now instead of the Luxeon, because the SC52d that I just got in has no hint of blue , very white light, I like it. Besides, it's on sale now.

The SC52d still uses the Luxeon T. The Easywhite XM-L2 is used in the SC5c/d. But the SC52d is still a good choice. Despite using this smaller emitter, the SC52d still puts out 205 lumens on H1. And there is a 300 lumen one minute burst if you use a 14500. Both of these numbers are actually BETTER than all but a few 1xAA lights out there. And they are not much less than the Easywhite SC5Fd. Plus it's smaller than the SC5Fd and is able to run off a 14500. This makes it a good choice if you wish to use the light in situations where you might need to charge batteries 'on the go' or with small solar panels (like camping/hiking/backpacking).

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lot of great points and light suggestions to look at here look at, thanks.
"Best" is a kind of lazy term, agreed, what I was seeing towards was "best balance of compromises", and also inadvertently opening up the question beyond my criteria, which is good.

markr6

Flashaholic

The 5-6 seconds for the UI to default back to low is too long for me (why did they do this?)

Just skimming the thread, this stood out to me. It is PAINFULLY long on the L10. I have no idea why. They should have made it about 2 seconds max.

ddwilson

Newly Enlightened

I have been carrying a E11 for last couple of years hard to beat reliability of this with AA
Doug

Treeguy

Enlightened

I'm happy with my 1xAA Quark Pro. Nice build quality, good runtimes, and useful brightness levels.

Love the 200+ hours of moon mode. :twothumbs

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

please correct any mistooks

MyPriorities, low weight, NoPWM nor pulses, YesNichia (or other 90+CRI), available in copper...

Lowest weight AA light with no PWM and a Nichia 219… L10 or L11

AA lights with PWM and or Pulsed circuits, with High CRI Nichia 119… McGizmo Haiku AA

AA lights with no PWM and less than 90CRI.. Sunwayman V11R with extension tube, Olight S15

AA lights with PWM and or Pulsed circuits, and less than 90CRI, Zebralight SC5, Malkoff MDC

The AA Light I would buy if I could find one, and have modified for NoPWM and HighCRI, Maratac Copper AA

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you really want simple and long run times, you need single mode, low output, twisty... Peak ElCapitan. Get a non QTC version power level 1-4, your choice.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is easy.

My Zebralight SC5 for sure.

Where else can you get 500 lumens out of such a small package on one AA?

It has all the feature and quality that any of the other Zebras has.

CHEERS

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

They might not be the best, but they were cheap and I like them:

• Inova x1
  • Icon modus 1
  • Gerber firecracker

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zebralight SC5...500 lumens

one difference is the SC5 is not LiIon rated..
they do come in a range of brightness and CRI
the 500 lumen spec is a turbo mode, on a low CRI led..

Im looking for a light for my car, turbo is not a feature I look for. I want high CRI and 200 lumens for over 30 minutes, so Im interested in the 228 lumen SC5fd @5000K and 85CRI. I would normally choose the 4000K version, but for working outside on a car during the day, imo the 5000K is a better match to ambient CCT.

best for long runtimes is to just use lower modes, but there is no best, depends on the situation

Im developing some understanding of my changing preferences based on 3 categories
1. nightstand
2. keychain
3. car light

the SC5 for me would be a #3 application. I want direct access to high mode first too, which Zebra makes easy… I would be unhappy with a Zebra though, if my iPhone photos pick up the pulses.. have not tried one yet...

One of my other considerations is that Im holding out for an AA light made of Copper :)

I really like the Maratac AA, but its impossible to find, and it has pulses too (I would insist on a driver and LED swap)
for your entertainment, heres a video of the PWM on the Maratac AA
https://youtu.be/2jL7TiIQ4yM?t=4m39s

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast

My EDC.

IIfIFGm.jpg

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is easy.

My Zebralight SC5 for sure.

Where else can you get 500 lumens out of such a small package on one AA?

CHEERS

Manker Quinlan/Godmes T01 & Nitecore EA11 are both very small 900 lumen AA lights.

Except for a true constant current regulated driver. As Jon said, it uses PWM/Pulsed current. That makes it an automatic no buy for me.

And, it doesnt exactly fall into the KISS category that the OP specified.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just ordered the orange 4 mode L11c with Nichia :) I blame this thread.

I like the High CRI, the no PWM, and that it is 1/3 as heavy as an SC5

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Peak El Capitain is a bomb proof design with good run time. The problem is that Peak refuses to evolve. They keep making that dang key ring attachment and no clip option. Otherwise that's probably all I would carry. But they won't do it.