DBS V2 SMO vs. OP

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the SMO and OP reflector for the DBS v2. How much brighter is the spill and wider is the hot spot with the OP reflector?

I have an l2d Q5 that i use every day to pick out my clothes. Will the OP make it easier to do this with the DBS? I want a light with alot of throw, but can still be used okay everyday (switching off with my l2d of course). I really like the DBS because of its upgradability, 18650's sound like a good idea, and it's just plain cool. Maybe i'll carry it out to the car and put it in the glove box of my car and then carry it back in at night. That way i've got a sweet light incase of an emergency.

Thanks,
Chewy

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a DBS V2, and for this particular light, I prefer the OP. So far. :p

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
You will still get plenty of throw with the OP reflector. I like to OP better but since I have both, I can switch whenever I want.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP will be better than the SMO for close up use, that's a no brainer. However, it's still a tight beam, and intense hot spot, but usable if you drop it down on low, etc.

The Fenix L2D would be much better suited for close up use though as it will be much floodier with wider spill.

Axion

Enlightened
The Deree DBS is a thrower plain and simple. Can it do other things with an OP reflector and 3SD pill? Sure it can and that what I was thinking with I ordered a 3SD pill and an extra OP refelctor. After a day or so or playing with it I've come to the realization that what I've read here is true, the DBS is just never going to be ideal for up close work.

So I put the SMO reflector back in and ordered a 1S pill. My DBS is going to be my high power throw light and my other lights will suffice for everything else. Really the L2D with the OP reflector has a pretty much perfect beam for up close and lights like the EX10, Nitecore Extreme, or Dereelight C2H have beams that are a good compromise between throw and good spill.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a DBS since they came out (V1 3SD & R2 2SD) now I have a DBS V2 1S ( I also have a home made pill that gets up to 38000 LUX out of this little baby which does make you :D :whistle: ) - and have come to the same conclusion that no matter how you look at it the DBS is a thrower only - its like using a carving knife to cut string - it works but its over kill.

PS: if you remove the reflector altogether - then it makes a good close work light. :wave:

jenskh

Enlightened
With a 3SD Q5 pill and SMO reflector, I get about 26000 lux @1m.
My 5A Q2 3SD pill gives about 17000 lux @1m with the SMO reflector. It has a wonderful tint. With my OP reflector it gives about 12500 lux and a near perfect light picture with also quite good spill. I really love the light from this combination, and I consider it a good all round light ( I just tried it on looking for clothes in my closet, and it works). But I bought the DBS to be a thrower, so I mostly use the first mentioned combination. :twothumbs

cal..45

Enlightened
I use the DBS V2 with smooth reflector for lighten things up 200meters+ when walking the dog or walking in general. if I need a lot more flood and not so much throw, I put the OP reflector in, mostly if I want the DBS use as secondary light (highbeam) on my MTB, but usually I take the CL1H V4 for that.

for EDC and as primary bike light I use the nitecore D10. with this three lights I have pretty much all needs and ranges covered.

regards, holger

IcantC

Enlightened
I only purchased mine with SMO as I plan on using it as a thrower only.

As for picking out clothes, why not use a smaller light like E01/Gerber UI or Arc?

jenskh

Enlightened
As for picking out clothes, why not use a smaller light like E01/Gerber UI or Arc?
I agree. I normally use my LF2X for that. Hmm... may be the better color rendition of the A5 Q2 led could be an advantage for that purpose.:thinking:
Well, that led is normally in my CL1H, but also the CL1H has too much spot to be absolutely ideal in the closet.