Defective new S2R Baton 2 charging cable?

Stephanie Miller

Newly Enlightened
Just received the light today. I did some reading on it and saw that the cable says it charges at 1 amp. After some digging around I saw that the magnetic charger really only charges around 0.85 amps. So I thought cool, I can just use the 1 amp charger i use to charge up a wireless speaker and a few other things. I get the light, remove the plastic film on the cell and grab the cable. Plug it in to the 1 amp charger and plug the charger into the outlet. The light on the magnetic end glows green, so I'm thinking cool I'm good to go. I attach it to the light, and instead of turning red for charging, it starts flickering back and forth very rapidly between green and red. Left it there for a minute and it was flickering the whole time. So I grab an old 1 amp ZTE charger I found and it's the same thing. By chance, my cellphone charger is 1.55 amp. Used it and it worked good. I stopped charging and went out and got a 2.1 amp charger. Plugged it in and it worked good. Like 3 and a half hours later it was green for done. Been using the light now for a few hours playing with it and it's doing good. So is it possible I got a defective cord, or do they just not like 1 amp chargers?

Frijid

Enlightened
It should work with a 1a charger. Are you sure your 1a chargers are good? I've had problems with aftermarket chargers lying about their charge ratings, that's why from now on, I only buy ones that are UL or ETL rated. I would
seek out a good 1a charger, but regardless, you've got a winner with the 2a charger you bought that works.

Last edited:

Stephanie Miller

Newly Enlightened
May be on to something. I remember that I gave the ZTE charger to someone and this is another charger. Neither of the 1 amp chargers had a ul rating. The first one had a fake looking fcc logo. Its hard to tell how much they actually put out. But the 2.1 amp charger I bought is ul listed. I guess I'll continue to use the 2.1 amp charger for the light and just for safety sake, seek out some good 1 amp chargers for my other items. I may check the olight again when I get a good 1 amp charger, but I think I'll just continue using the 2.1 amp charger for the olight.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would. If the Olight draws more current than your dodgy charger can supply you may have it overheating or even a fire, so I'd dispose of it.
P

Stephanie Miller

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'll probably satisfy my curiosity and just try a good 1 amp when I get it, but I'll continue using the 2.1 amp charger for my light. Since the lights charger draws 0.85 amps and a good 1 amp charger could handle it, I'd still feel more comfotable with a 2.1 amp charger only pulling the 0.85 amps. Less stress over the hours it takes to charge.

In their defense, the cheap 1 amp charger never gave a hiccup in the 4 years I've owned it and I never gave it zero thought charging a Samsung watch, wireless Bluetooth speaker, and even a Nebo inspector RC penlight. Ignorance is bliss lol. But now that I know, I'll replace them.

Last edited:

Frijid

Enlightened
Since the lights charger draws 0.85 amps and a good 1 amp charger could handle it, I'd still feel more comfotable with a 2.1 amp charger only pulling the 0.85 amps. Less stress over the hours it takes to charge.

Honestly, if I was you, I would just back to where you bought your 2a charger and just buy a couple more and just use them for everything, even for the things you were using that 1a charger for. Or even buy a 3 or 4a charger. As you stated and sound like you already know, devices will only charge at the rate their programming allows for and no more. I don't think I even have a 1a charger anymore lol.