"Detachable headlamp" w/ magnetic tail cap and plastic lens...

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
What are my options?

I know I can replace a glass lens with acrylic or what have you.... But I'd *prefer* not to mess with it at all, not to mention I'd rather have polycarbonate than acrylic anyway!!

Any options with polycarbonate lens from the factory? Otherwise, I will probly get the Sofirn SP40 & replace the Lena if needed.... But hoping there are other options!

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
What is your reasoning for wanting polycarbonate over glass ??

It should be rather obvious that I want an UNBREAKABLE flashlight. I work over metal floors. Under metal ceilings and beside metal walls. There's no glass around here, except on cell phones which can only survive with the thickest cases manufactured today. There's also plenty of welding going on, which the weld splatter will stick to glass, but not plastic... Which is why most welding shields come with polycarbonate lenses over glass. One lasts in this environment far more than the other. Scratches are NEVER an issue compared to dropping glass from a 10 ft. height, or getting weld splatter stuck to the lens which will DEFINITELY cause the glass to shatter on the very next minor impact.

Anyway.... I think I will try out the Princeton Tec Snap 300 light. Seems like everything I'm asking for (assuming it's a plastic lens, since it doesn't mention it's glass), plus I really like that the magnet is protected from metal shavings / rust dust while in headlamp mode. That will be very handy. I just hope the magnet is strong enough for my needs (sometimes working thru a few to several layers of paint). It looks kinda small in the pics...

Really want to try the Sofirn SP40 or the Wowtac A2S still, but they will definitely be heavier and require me to purchase an extra acrylic lens to replace the glass when in breaks the first week I own it. I really like that the Wowtac has a firefly mode, but I'd definitely have to add a magnet.

I'll start with the Snap 300 headlamp first, tho... and will probly end up using it every day if the magnet is strong enough. Simpler UI seems like a better choice to me, also. Thanks for the tip, Not regulated!

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've been asking the same plastic lens questions for years. Sorry we have not been able to help you after so much time. [emoji17]

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Detachable headlamp" w/ magnetic tail cap and plastic lens...

I have the Snap 200. I just checked it now. The lens on mine is plastic or acrylic.
The magnet on it sticks to a painted metal Knaack box and painted metal tool chests OK.
They say the warranty is 5yrs.
When I got mine they only had the Snap 200. They now have the Snap 300 and the Snap 300 Industrial.
I am not familiar with the newer models and am not sure what the difference is.

Last edited:

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Re: "Detachable headlamp" w/ magnetic tail cap and plastic lens...

You've been asking the same plastic lens questions for years. Sorry we have not been able to help you after so much time. [emoji17]

Oh, thanks for the concern, bigburly... But you guys have helped! The Princeton Tec Snap is definitely what I was looking for in this instance. As for my other thread, about a "regular", pocketable EDC light... It's tough for me to imagine a better light than the Pelican 1910 (altho, I ordered the 1920 as well this time for a real showdown!). I really do feel that if people compared their best EDC light to the $20 Pelican 1910 (3rd gen, obviously), they'd start questioning what is really important to them in a light. So many lights just have complex UIs with unnecessary functions... Or not enough throw in smaller lights... Or a very weak clip. But that's just my humble opinion, of course. :)

I have the Snap 200. I just checked it now. The lens on mine is plastic or acrylic.
The magnet on it sticks to a painted metal Knaack box and painted metal tool chests OK.
They say the warranty is 5yrs.
When I got mine they only had the Snap 200. They now have the Snap 300 and the Snap 300 Industrial.
I am not familiar with the newer models and am not sure what the difference is.

As for the headlamps, which this thread is about... I ended up ordering two...

- the Princeton Tec Snap Industrial 250 (don't think they make an Industrial 300, but the extra rubber strap seems worth it to me to be secured to a hardhat easier), and ...

- this Lumapro 49XX77 (here --> https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/49XX77 ), which is pretty much everything I'm asking for besides the magnet (all for just a little more than $10 if you can find free shipping!). It has a plastic lens, runs on a single AA, which makes it even lighter than the Snap, and it also says Industrial (so hopefully it comes with a hardhat strap, but I doubt it). But either way, for the price, I might have to order a dozen of them for Christmas gifts if it's even halfway decent. :)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly thought about sending you my streamlight 4xaa just so you could have something close to what you were looking for in the other thread. The pelicans have a following here!