[divelight] Need your opinions of 3 lights (Barbolight, Metalsub or Salvo)

mrikkert

Newly Enlightened
Javier,

no it was a nightdive (max 14 mtrs), I just preferred the penetration of the halogen.

If I don't use dimming a lot of fish is going to swim away or even don't show at all.

Maybe in the future I might switch to LED but for now I'll stick to another lightsource.

Cheers
Marcel

PlatipOz

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
Don't want to argue, just my experience:
bought U-15 and U-04 as a backup, got about 25 dives since, about 10 night ones.
The lights are just awesome:bow:, can't wish for anything else, they really are more then I hoped for. And trust me there was a bit of bad feeling after the order was made - I never tried them in the water before and you know the price...
Penetration of the beam is very nice, the colour is very similar to the sunlight and if you dont want to blind your fish (or buddy) you've got options: use less bright U-04 (which is a bit brighter, than some of my dive buddies primaries anyway :devil:) or don't flash it directly in the eyes.
It might be an overkill to use U-15 in clean waters, which I will check out in Vanuatu in November. But you can't go wrong with the U-04.

The U-04 is brighter, than UK Sunlight C4/C8 eLED, but 10 times smaller, not bad for travelling. The U-15 is compareable with the UK Lightcannon 100, to me it looks even a bit brighter, but it's somewhere close. Weight and size wise Barbolight wins hands down, not to mention that a drop from a hight of 10 inches or so might cost you a missed dive plus (or to be precise, minus) 200 bucks. These two are most commonly used by the guys I'm diving with, hence the comparison. Can also mention 50 and 100w incandescents - the brightness is up there somewhere, give or take, but they can't even run an hour full power, say nothing about the size and inconvenience of changing the bulb.

Shortly said, I'm a poor but very happy diver now. If only I didn't buy all my previous "primary" lights, batteries and chargers for them...

The only thing concerns me at the moment is that I am about to change my second linyard on the U-15 (U-04 has different system) and noticed the first was about to break by a lucky coincidence.

If anyone can tell me how to attach pics, will do.

Where to get a Goodman handle from?

Good luck.
----------------------------------------
The older I get the faster I was.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Definitely worth having a look at a Solus SH-500 before you make up your mind. I did a review of a beta model, and they are now upgrading it to a 7 x SSC P4 head giving 1,000 lumens. Very small for its output, tremendous wall of light wide beam (and that was the 500 lm model). The new version will be astonishing.

PlatipOz

Newly Enlightened
They don't seem to be too religious about updating their site, July is still somewhere in the future for them...
Any idea about price range?

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL yes, I see what you mean - I hadn't noticed that. Last time I spoke to them they still hadn't fixed a price as the light was still in development and they were upgrading the emitters to SSC P4 / 1,000+ lm. I think it could be ~£300 / $600, but I don't know.

Latest posts