Do I need a Surefire E1E ?

firefly99

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Why did you do that? Were you putting a LED in there or something? I always thought about putting a Nichia 5mm in one of them but I don't know if it would be too much voltage/current with a primary cell.

I had a little black HA E1e a while back and loved it. I may get one again.
That right, I need the lamp base for putting a LED in it. Don't try this unless you had a faulty incan lamp handy. Go ahead get another E1E.

lightrod

Enlightened
Safety1st said:
Great advice guys...thanks very much..

I like the KL4 ideas for my E1L.. :)

To quickly share my experience here - I agree the KL4 on the E1L is a great combo, and I always have it with me now. I get 100 lumens on my L4 with the KL4 for just over an hour with the 2xCR123 setup. Putting the KL4 on the E1L with a (single) CR123 I get about 25% of the output (25 lumens) for about 2 hours before starting to gracefully decline over a long period. A very handy light level as the L4 is way brighter than needed for most things.

The E1L/KL4 combo with a RCR123 totally kicks, with the full (100 lumen) output. The price is runtime as output drops steadily and hits 50% in only 20 minutes or so. I got a modified tailcap (twists on, clicks from low to high) with an 8 ohm resistor, and get 15 lumens now on low for 4+ hours, a great usable "low" level with momentary 100 lumens just a click away! Fantastic combo. :grin2:

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
Idk, it just seems like the E1e is lacking in performance compared to many single 123 LED lights (even compared to some AA lights). LEDs are much more efficient at lower voltages. Incans are still nice for outdoor use and in higher voltage, high output lights, but I vastly prefer LEDs in something small enough to pocket carry.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have been doing led lights for awhile, and recently have been enjoying the color rendition of my A2, particularly at night. Yesterday I purchased my E1e on sale, and the little E1e at a supposed 15 lumens has great throw, and brings out the colors of what ever you are looking at. While BBQ'ing steak last night it was much easier to see how the steak was doing using the E1e than my VIP. Just looked more normal to me. The lower output of the E1e compared to the 6P, 9P, or even A2 made it easier on my eyes at close range where you do not need mucho lumens.

Bill