Do you even know about Nuevo Laredo?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Where\'s the coverage of Nuevo Laredo?

[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
...if there is demand there will always be a way

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

[ QUOTE ]
ikendu said:
[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
...if there is demand there will always be a way

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely as well.

But...When a dog gets in your trash you put on a lid. When he learns to open the lid you move the trash higher. When he learns to climb you pad lock the can. When he learns to pick the lock you take him on the road and make millions. The point is you make it harder and harder. Reducing the influx of drugs by 50% means they will have to work twice as hard and still will only replace 75% of what you stopped. When you figure out the new way you target that. Make it harder and harder and in the process the availability drops and X number of people that were getting drugs no longer will. Arguing they will find something else to replace the drugs is no reason to stop. If the new thing is worse you cross that bridge as it comes. We have to remember that only a small % of people deal or take illegal drugs. The rest of us are somewhere between actively helping to stop the drugs to apathetic, but in that spectrum no one is importing, selling or using illegal drugs. There are only a limited number of people, albeit a significant number that will even consider going down that dead end road. The ones that would consider it but are not currently active may very well reconsider if they implemented the punishments out outlined earlier.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
...lifting prohibition...made the problems associated with alcohol more widespread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that right? I'm asking. Alcohol was widely available during prohibition.
Even though we've been fighting the "War on drugs" for decades, illegal drugs are easily and often obtained.

And...let's say that alcohol consumption related problems doubled (just a guess). How much societal harm was created by bootleg gangster violence and the corruption it introduced to our courts and to the police? Is it the role of the government to protect us from ourselves? If I know that alcohol is addictive and impairs my judgement, should it be illegal or should I merely be held accountable for my actions under its influence? (Which is the condition today...alcohol is legal).

Should smoking be illegal? It certainly is addictive and causes cancer (driving up insurance costs for our society). Although...it is still legal.

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
The beauty of the wall is it reduces drugs and the number of bad guys entering the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think we can build a wall high enough along the entire length of the border with Mexico that we can actually stop the flow of drugs to the U.S.? I simply don't think that it is physically possible. No matter how great the wall was, there'd still be the air and the water and smuggling thru the checkpoints (or under the wall). If there is enough profit, there'd be drug flow.

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
...[Dave's discussion of terrorism]...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not a topic we can discuss outside of the underground. IMHO

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I said "reduce" not stop. As to the rest, I will stick with my prevoius post and try to steer the thread back on topic which I admit to taking us off.

The media sees I scooped them on the subject.

A Fox News article today.
"The Nuevo Laredo story that has gone largely unreported, as many journalists say the drug wars in there are too dangerous to cover, especially after a number of their colleagues have been gunned down."

"U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar (search), D-Texas, says it's time Americans became aware of what's going on just south of the border"

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

"a small % of people deal or take illegal drugs..."

I bet it's not a small percentage, Let me ask all you guys here, Do you know someone who takes drugs? Be it family, friends, neighbors, coworkers? Real people you know. I can bet you do without fearing to loose.

I don't do any drugs (Exept the ocasional beer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif)but know relatives, friends and neighbors who do. The stuff is all around!!! I thank my parents for being my friends and talking to me about drugs while keeping a watchful eye on me as a teen.