Do you love a cold glass of ice water?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
We take it for granted but good drinking water is something to really enjoy. I like mine in a glass with lots of ice, either crushed or the clear broken up pieces you get in a bag of ice. I like it best in a heavy glass cup or old peanut butter jar. The peanut butter jar days are long gone, wife threw them out when we got married. Every night when I retire to the computer I always bring a big glass with me. With all the ice and the thick glass I think the water gets down to around 34-36 degrees. When the water is gone I get to crunch on the super clear ice for half an hour.

We use the 5 gallon chilled water dispenser at home. The benzene in my tap water is a bit high. I sometimes buy a 24oz bottle of water at the store but it's not as good as with an ice filled cup made of glass.

When I play golf, hunt or fish I drink water. Everyone around me drinks beer or soda but when you want to quench your thirst there's nothing like plain old ice-cold water.

Thirsty yet? Time for a refill.

avusblue

Enlightened
I agree with you 100%. Good old iced water is one of my major simple pleasures of life, and I drink a LOT of it. Like you, I also enjoy storebought ice, just for that extra clarity and cleaner taste. I prefer Culligan 5 gal. water, and use a large 30 oz. cup that has a plastic transparent outer casing, an insulating air layer, and a spun aluminum liner and lip. The metal gets extra super cold for an even colder, more "metallic" mouth feel when you take a drink. MMmmmmmmmm.

Bottoms up!

Cheers,

Dave

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i also agree!
except for the ice.. i prefer my water ice cold, yet iceless.. it's gotta be in a nice thick glass, sometimes a frosted mug is in order for summertime..

i'm also pretty lucky, 'cause there are still some natural water sources around here you can drink from.. really takes you back to another time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

i like to balance out the water with a couple glasses a day of papaya juice too!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i never drink water i mean never ever maybe like every year or so. i like ice cold whole milk and soda

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the water part, but am not so big on the cold part. I like my water right at room temperature, although I have nothing against its cold counterpart either. When I'm away from home, I usually take my trusty 32oz lexan Nalgen along. I've been using them for years now, and have yet to find a more reliable water transport system (which I guess I could just call a water bottle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

-Mike

StuU

Enlightened
I have a tall insulated glass of icewater with dinner every night. Icewater is consumed during the day from a half-gallon fridge container.

And when hiking mountains, icewater goes along in a fanny pack. Of course, my dog expects me to share this with him. We squirt the water through the air and into his mouth. No dog-mouth contact permitted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't like cold water except maybe to cool down in very hot weather. Otherwise I like it around room temp. I have a gallon jug next to my computer so it reaches that temp after a while. I pour myself a cupful every so often.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
One of the things I learned when traveling out of the US is that when you ask for a glass of water at an eatery, you must ask for ICE WATER if you want it to have ice. Otherwise, it's gonna be room-temperature or slightly chilled only !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A true "ice water" lover -
Allen
aka DumboRAT

Saaby

Flashaholic
I...LOVE...Ice Water. One of the perks of working at a tech support facililty (On the phone all day) is they care enough about us to provide a HUGE, commercial Ice Machine in the break room. Of course I take full advantage of it.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Ice water is really great.

Ice cold Perrier sparkling water in a super-cooled glass is nice. I like the bite of the dissolved CO2.

I had a *huge* glass of vanilla Coke filled with crushed ice at the Chicago airport one hot summer. I'll remember that for the rest of my life.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Ice cold water without the ice for me. But I'm also with raggie on that milk thing. Ice cold whole milk is hard to beat.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah...water.

Yep. Water is the best thirst quencher.
Most of us don't drink enough of it.

I used to really love "crunching the ice". My sister-in-law is a dentist and used to warn me..."You really shouldn't chew ice...it is hard on your teeth".

But...I mostly ignored that advice since no harm seem to come of it.

Now, my teeth are sensitive when I eat certain kinds of foods that are more dense (certain kinds of beans seem to be the most common). As I chew, I can feel an uncomfortable pressure on the left or right side where you would put most of the force when crunching ice. This didn't show up until about age 50.

I asked my dentist about it... he says that the teeth can develop micro-fractures (that don't show up on x-rays BTW). The "uncomfortable" sensation I get is the micro-fractures kind of "flexing" the teeth.

Bottom line...I've stopped crunching ice (kinda miss it though).

My teeth are slowly becoming less sensitive (maybe a 30% improvement in 2 years).

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
ikendu said:
...My sister-in-law is a dentist and used to warn me..."You really shouldn't chew ice...it is hard on your teeth"...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told the same thing a year ago after breaking a tooth while chewing a piece of gum. Stick gum, not a hard piece. Dentist said I have two others with cracks and asked me if I chewed ice, doh.

I still chew ice but I'm mostly an old "gummer" now meaning I don't bite down hard. My teeth are less sensitive but until your post I never made the association.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Fresh clean water is great.

It helps clear your head. Keeps you regular, and helps keep you healthy.

Dr Batmanghelidj was able to demonstrate waters healing characteristics and has dedicated his life to bringing that message to people. I believe his web site is http://www.watercure.com/default3.htm.

We like our water hot, cold, and at room temperature. Sometimes we use ice, and other times we don't.

I am pleased to say that my sons (and my wife and I) prefer water to soda when they are thirsty. They still drink coffee, soda, and beer, but when they are thirsty they drink water.

We all have water bottles in the refrigerator, in our cars, and in our backpacks.

We love it.

Tom

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Water is the best thirst quencher. The sports drinks are good after an hour of higher intensity exercise, but even then you need plain water.
I do drink too much soda though. I was planning on stopping when I deployed to the Middle Ease, but Diet Coke is so cheap (a 24 pack of the local stuff is only like $.45), and I'm not doing a hard job.
I'm glad that the water in Bellingham is some of the best in the country as far as purity and taste. The crap I had to filter to drink in Northern VA, and DC was horrible.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work, and during the hot summer days moving furniture all day, there's nothing like ice cold water to quench my thirst. I take a 1 gallon cooler filled with icewater with me each day, and many times I end up having to refill it before the day is through. I drink lots of pop and milk at mealtimes, but when it comes to quenching my thirst water is best. Gatorade or similar products may be just as good or better because they replace nutrients lost during sweating, but 3 minutes after I drink some, I'm thirsty again.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers for ice cold water - we filter and fridge it. Our ten year old drinks more water than anything else. We hope she continues to prefer water as she gets older. We also hope that beer continues to taste yucky until she's 21. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
My childhood home was next door to the neighborhood water well pumping station, and just a short walk from the city's original water tower which was still in use back then. The water was ice cold straight from the faucet, even during hot summer days. It was clean and untreated in those days.

Later on some indicator bacteria showed up in the regular tests and the well water started to be treated with chlorine. I started drinking less water because of the taste after that. The trend continued after growing up and moving from the homestead, but still living in the same city. Some years ago I bought a Britta filtered water pitcher and have come back to enjoying drinking cold ice-water again. I was never worried about the quality of the water, I just needed to remove the "pool-water" taste. I also use filtered water for making ice-cubes.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of use who use filters such as Brita, make sure to keep it refrigerated. Since the filtering removes the chlorine, bacteria can grow pretty quickly when it's at room temperature. Same problem with bottled water after it's been opened. Other than that one little caveat, enjoy some nice cold, and clean, water.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love ice water. It's what I usually drink, usually with a little slice of lemon in it. HOWEVER, my fave is sparkling mineral water. If I'm sipping and not chugging, I strongly prefer that my water have little bubbles in it.