Do you use your lights hard or do you pamper them?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a strong believer in if you look after your tools/equipment etc then they will look after you.........simples az dat;)
+1

Though my reason is more that stuff tends to last longer, and thus you don't need to buy replacements as often. Because I prefer to buy new stuff at my own schedule rather than needing to when something breaks. For example keys and lights tend to scratch each other. So when I have a light in my pocket I'll maybe have a handkerchief in there too. But keys go into another pocket.

That said, no reason to over-do it. No point in wasting excessive time on cleaning / polishing etc. Just enjoy using the stuff you have... :)

Loed7984

Newly Enlightened
As I often work in harsh environments such rivers, Forests, both as ems responder, both as actual forestal worker, I usually use my light very hard.

cccpull

Enlightened
For example, I bought a Fenix LD05 two weeks ago and despite my efforts, I've dropped it like 5 times so far, one of them in water, so it already has a few scratches...

You use them and try not t beat them up, but if they get scratches, so be it. They are meant to be used and you seem to have struck the right balance. Use 'em.:D

markr6

Flashaholic
+1

Though my reason is more that stuff tends to last longer, and thus you don't need to buy replacements as often. Because I prefer to buy new stuff at my own schedule rather than needing to when something breaks. For example keys and lights tend to scratch each other. So when I have a light in my pocket I'll maybe have a handkerchief in there too. But keys go into another pocket.

That said, no reason to over-do it. No point in wasting excessive time on cleaning / polishing etc. Just enjoy using the stuff you have... :)

Well said!

It's improtant to enjoy using your lights and any other stuff. I always laughed at the old people that put plastic over their couches and furniture...of course that keeps it clean, but what's the point? You're not enjoying the clean fabric in any way until you uncover it...but they probably never would at that point. So, plastic covers for your flashlights anyone? :laughing:

The first drop, dent, scratch is always a bit worrisome, but then you relaize it's not the end of the world. A new smartphone is a perfect example; mine always look new out of the box within the first few weeks then it's just another phone getting dropped and tossed around.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm one of the "split decision" people.
I have lights that are "shelf queens" for various reasons. I'll fire them up and play with them on a foggy night and so forth but they are part of my "collection" not part of my "workforce".

Then I have the workhorses like my 20-something year old, several times upgraded, Magcharger (now sporting a 1k lumen triple emitter) which lives in it's charger right by the rear door of the house ready to "grab n go". It's been dropped, kicked, knocked over, left out overnight, rained on, submerged, and Maker-knows what else.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use all of my lights, but not hard. I simply won't keep a light if I don't pick it up for a while...I have more than I need, certainly, but all of them get used. However, I see no reason to beat them up...I keep them holstered unless I am using them, in which case it is in my hand, not being tossed around or abused (keychain lights being the exception). A few lights have minor scratches, but beyond that, all of them look almost new.

Drop testing is something I don't do, to any great extent. It really doesn't help much...you could drop a light 100 times, call it amazingly durable, and an accidental 101st drop could kill it. Just no way to tell. However, I consider water testing to be an absolute must. Doesn't do any harm to the light if it works, even cosmetic, but if it fails, you need to know that early on. I simply cannot understand why anyone would not do this sort of basic water testing.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to take good care of them, but something usually ends up happening to them eventually anyway. After I drop them once I don't feel so bad about dropping them anymore, and then I am actually a little bit relieved they are imperfect. And I have no problem using them while working on the car and camping. They are usually pretty easy to clean off anyway.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my lights and knives, but don't abuse them. I don't use my lights as a hammer and I don't use my knives as a pry bar. I regularly clean and lube my lights and knives - and I sharpen my knives when they get dull. I don't consider regular maintenance as pampering.

ven

Flashaholic
I use my lights and knives, but don't abuse them. I don't use my lights as a hammer and I don't use my knives as a pry bar. I regularly clean and lube my lights and knives - and I sharpen my knives when they get dull. I don't consider regular maintenance as pampering.

Nicely said yoyoman,i am the same,i take care of my equipment,bit fastidious like that,clean up my tools after use,lights wise i clean my threads,check the lube,not too much/too little,buy holsters for lights i think require them that dont come with........Same with my cells,top off,dont drain down etc.....

One of my edc, d25cvn is in my coat,in holster.........nothing metal near it.

Truck keys are different,i dont have a choice(live with keys) so trying ti in the spy at the moment after the i3s looked worse for wear after just a few months(expected tbh).

Its only been a few days,no marks at all which is better already than the cheaper ano olight,but at under $20 i did not expect much different........

Money or rather cost has no bearing too,my convoy m2 gets as well looked after as my tk75vn / x3vn/tm15 and tk61vn .

Admittedly if i had to crawl on my hands and knees over rocks and had a light in my hand,i would make sure it was not a $300 one :laughing:...........(obv a head lamp):p

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone, I don't remember who, said scratches on ti are patina. I agree. Scratches on ti are much nicer than chipped anodize and nicked alum.

CrazySanMan

Newly Enlightened
I use mine. I figure they'll be outdated and replaced by something newer and brighter in a few years anyway. They are tools. Use them.

ven

Flashaholic
Someone, I don't remember who, said scratches on ti are patina. I agree. Scratches on ti are much nicer than chipped anodize and nicked alum.

I shall comment on that maybe at a later date;) so far i am nothing but impressed by the DQG spy for example,its fantastic in every way.Love the warm tint,the shallow reflector for a small wall of light..............very very useful imho for an edc(well for my need /use anyway yoyoman)

Its you family of beautiful lights that has pushed me into the smaller lights,and the smaller ones being easier to carry (edc) tend to be the one light with you in need.

Its not my last so i will be getting more "smaller " lights in future.

I am in a AA stage at present,loving my AA lights t10s and d25a(not over struck on the klarus p1a tbh but its ok)
I only have around 5 AAA lights,of which the i3s and eos are my best(limited family at present)

Yours are just works of art,most too nice to be dangling next to keys.......for me anyway.So i try and find a light,thats as good as i can justify and if it gets dinged i wont be over upset if makes sense.A custom $200 light changing with keys,getting dropped(as they do) would be heart breaking for me having marks/scuffs on expensive lights.

Chips on ano really annoy me,a chip is like a small dent on your fender on your Porsche:mecry: ok maybe not that bad;),but my point is i would have to get it fixed asap as a priority,ano on lights are not that easy(but obv a lot cheaper :laughing: )

Will report on spy over weeks/months if marks etc appear.

Sorry for digression:oops:

ven

Flashaholic
I use mine. I figure they'll be outdated and replaced by something newer and brighter in a few years anyway. They are tools. Use them.

Yes a good point,it seems a light thats 3 or 4yrs old is pretty out dated in most cases apart from custom lights.Some of mine are dedicated tools for work ,others dedicated for specific uses/fun/collecting etc
Still i do want them to be working and in good condition as possible.

CrazySanMan

Newly Enlightened
Yes a good point,it seems a light thats 3 or 4yrs old is pretty out dated in most cases apart from custom lights.Some of mine are dedicated tools for work ,others dedicated for specific uses/fun/collecting etc
Still i do want them to be working and in good condition as possible.

Yes, I don't abuse them, but I don't fret if I scratch the finish on one either.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, I don't abuse them, but I don't fret if I scratch the finish on one either.

I am like that with work lights as for a purpose

Been replaced with a newer t7.2 now after many years of heavy use
,but if i dinged my tk75vn or tk61vn...........:mecry:

:laughing: ;)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't abuse them on purpose typically, but, I DO abuse them on purpose if I NEED to know if they can take it....and, if they can't, they are relegated as spares/gifts, etc.

That means if I am doing disaster response, and I can carry a few lights and cells, etc....I want ONLY stuff that can be rained on, dropped in the water or onto rocks, and STILL WORK. If they can't, its not worth carrying them around.

So, I HAVE purposefully dropped stuff to see what happened to it. I have purposefully cycled 1,000 of rounds to be sure recoil, etc, was OK.

Some lights are crap, and the light all but disintegrates after a few recoil shocks, as short thread overlaps, weak solder joints, etc, fail. Some lights can take some abuse, but not other types of abuse....for example a large heavy light is a LOT more vulnerable to damage if dropped onto a rock or concrete than a light light...its just going to smack into stuff that much harder.

I do NOT expect a 3 lb light to work, or at least be undamaged after falling 10' onto concrete...it MIGHT, but, its not a realistic performance objective. A Klarus XT11 on the other hand, WILL survive, and, I DO expect it to survive something like that. It will look well worn though.

Some were "accidentally tested" and, surprised me with their toughness, perhaps suffering a dent or scratch, but working like a charm. I dropped a TN30 off a scaffold one time, and had kissed it good bye on the way down...but, after bouncing and skidding and so forth, it still worked, and still does....but, there IS a decent dent in its bezel.

So my lights are not shelf queens...they are tools, and, are treated as tools not jewels.

:D

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
TEEJ- out of all the lights i have,the one that has taken me back the most for build/solid feel is the olight m20 and if i had to take one light on a life/death journey i am sure it would be that one if i needed it in the survival stakes.

Do you have any experience with the m20 and if so what are your thoughts on it.

The klarus xt11 sure looks a good light:twothumbs

TEEJ

Flashaholic
TEEJ- out of all the lights i have,the one that has taken me back the most for build/solid feel is the olight m20 and if i had to take one light on a life/death journey i am sure it would be that one if i needed it in the survival stakes.

Do you have any experience with the m20 and if so what are your thoughts on it.

The klarus xt11 sure looks a good light:twothumbs

I don't have many olights actually, the SR90 might be it, and that one's been modded.

:D

The warrior series does seem pretty tough though. The Armytek's are really well put together, I have a bunch of them too. The Klarus XT11 UI is just such a good match to how I use the light though, that even though I have lights that can outperform it, the klarus is always in the rotation. Of course, over 1,000 L with two IMR 18350's is still pretty bright, and its a creamy beam with a great combo of flood/throw.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I guess we got a little sidetracked, but for tough lights, those rayovac indestructibles are built like a piece of black pipe with rubber bumpers on the ends.
I needed to prop up the front on my clothes dryer a few weeks ago so that I could get at the screws that held the front plate on. I tilted it back and shoved a 2AA indestructible under it. Worked great!