Do you use your lights hard or do you pamper them?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one knife and light combo that I only carry while dressed up, Jetbeam TC-R1 and ZT0550 with CF scale. Those I technically "pamper" but the rest of my lights/knives are tools and they get used as such. I've dropped my Armytek Wizard Pro multiple times, shrug, pick it up and check function before returning it to my pocket. E15 stays on the keys and the ano is quickly fading as it rides on the outside of my pocket and rubs/hits plenty of things throughout the work day and once in a while unclips itself from the S-biner and hits the concrete floor.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use but don't abuse.
Every light is required to be carried at some point.
I lend them to guest at our cabin.
Same goes for my cars. They are meant to be used.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Use but don't abuse.
Every light is required to be carried at some point.
I lend them to guest at our cabin.
Same goes for my cars. They are meant to be used.

Yes, something my father often said... "If it is not being used, it is being wasted."
Another rule... "If you borrow a man's tools, you always return them in the same or better condition, than they were in when you borrowed them."

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of mine are complete shelf queens. I'd have no reservation towards using any of them in a real scenario if they were best suited. It just happens that while I have 15 or so lights, really 3 or 4 of them are the best at any given time so those see the most use. I have one light I let take a lot of abuse, my Shiningbeam Blaze. The Blaze was dropped 5 feet onto concrete the day after I bought it which dented it ever so slightly and removed any fear of damaging it. It is built like a tank and is a good all around light so it is my favorite for bringing on site in industrial buildings and usually gets thrown in a bag for a couple months at a time. I just bring it out of the bag to top off the battery and the occasional clean/lube.

On the other hand my Armytek Predator 2.5 Pro I treat a bit more carefully. I have no doubts in the build quality but as it hasn't suffered a major blow yet (only a couple scratches) I try to maintain that condition while being reasonable.

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure everyone aims to keep their torch in pristine condition - I for one will brood for a period of time if my new torch or tool is aesthetically damaged, but I eventually get over it.
Sure they look nice on a shelf, but they look nicer lighting up the neighbors front yard ;)
I'd rather see my torch being used, rekindles my confidence in carrying a torch in the first place!

But each to their own!

markr6

Flashaholic
Lots of talk about "just use them" and "they're tools" here. I can't speak for the OP but I don't think this is on track for what he's asking. I believe he's saying we all use them, BUT TO WHAT EXTENT? Yes they're tools like a cordless drill - but can you not paper tools as well? Are you the type that keeps the drill clean and has all the bits in perfect order? Or are you the type that throws it around and uses the bottom of the drill/battery pack to pound the lid back on a paint can?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Lots of talk about "just use them" and "they're tools" here. I can't speak for the OP but I don't think this is on track for what he's asking. I believe he's saying we all use them, BUT TO WHAT EXTENT? Yes they're tools like a cordless drill - but can you not paper tools as well? Are you the type that keeps the drill clean and has all the bits in perfect order? Or are you the type that throws it around and uses the bottom of the drill/battery pack to pound the lid back on a paint can?

Sorry markr6, but I disagree. I guess we can just let the OP clarify, if she feels clarification is needed.

Perhaps your examples are a bit extreme because it has not been suggested that a light should be used other than as its intended purpose, so no hammering nails with a flashlight.

OTOH the question about pampering lights is realistic when one sees many references to "shelf queens" or discussions on "display cases" or for that matter, "how do you protect your lights during transport?" I participate on a couple of car and truck forums, where we talk about fixing things, not displaying our tools.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Hm, okay, let me re-word my question :)

Originally I "excluded" regular maintenance from the question. Of course, regular maintenance is good. So, right, I myself don't include regular maintenance in the notion of "pamper".

I rather meant: do you "let" your lights get scratches and nicks and not care much about that or do you take extreme care in handling them, that is, like many guys said- keep them in holsters and boxes and so on. Does it break your heart if you drop a light and would you rather not use it, but keep it safe & sound or use it and risk damaging it?

But as I see myself some types of "treatment" hadn't even occurred to me, so whatever you understand by my question is absolutely okay. I'm interested in how people treat their flashlights in general and my interest was aroused exactly by the "Show us your flashlights" (or smth.) thread where you can see brand new looking flashlights.

It seems that my question can "branch out" into a lot of different questions, then:

- do you purposefully expose your lights to extreme conditions/tests (which is absolutely justified for some people as someone mentioned above)

- do you "freak out" over every tiny speck of dirt or scratch that appears on your light

- do you try not to damage your light, but you still somehow keep dropping/wetting it and you "freak out" because your light got scratched despite your efforts

- do you try not to damage them, but if you do, that's not a big deal

- do you buy them just for collecting purposes and hardly ever use them

- do you buy them to use and abuse them

And so on and so forth, seems like some questions are even quite similar.

So, the thread is about sharing in whatever way you treat your flashlights :)

But yeah, I wouldn't crack walnuts with my flashlights either... lol

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to pamper my lights but not to the point of not using them. I went caving once in Lava Beds National Monument. That was pretty tough on my lights and gear in general! They also get beat up when I do what I call adventure hiking. That is a combination of hiking, rock scrambling, and bouldering. Then there are my daughters, ages 5 and 7. We do a lot of flashlight walks and they add plenty of character to my lights!

CrazySanMan

Newly Enlightened
do you try not to damage them, but if you do, that's not a big deal

This. If I pay $75 for a flashlight I'm not going to use it like a hammer. But I'm not going to pay all that money for something that will just sit around and collect dust either. I buy them to use them and I try to take care of them, but stuff happens, and I don't sweat it. The way I see it, the light will soon be replaced by something brighter/more efficient/lighter etc., so I need to get my money's worth out of it while I can. Why let it sit until it becomes obsolete without ever using it?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no collector, so my lights see use. I don't abuse them on purpose, but I'm not worried about dropping them or wear and tear.

That being said, if I know I'm going to be working on the car, I'll opt for my Solarforce instead of my Surefire.

markr6

Flashaholic
Sorry markr6, but I disagree. I guess we can just let the OP clarify, if she feels clarification is needed.

Perhaps your examples are a bit extreme because it has not been suggested that a light should be used other than as its intended purpose, so no hammering nails with a flashlight.

OTOH the question about pampering lights is realistic when one sees many references to "shelf queens" or discussions on "display cases" or for that matter, "how do you protect your lights during transport?" I participate on a couple of car and truck forums, where we talk about fixing things, not displaying our tools.

No I was talking about the drill! LOL I don't have anything big enough to function as a hammer!

ven

Flashaholic
Some lights i buy specific for daily use,not necessarily thrown about but used more than 2hrs a day up to around 5hrs so marks/dings/drops are all expected
Some lights i buy from vinh,these i take care of as special to me in many ways and not just the light.

I collect some as i want them for specific uses
I buy some for specific uses

I use all,some more than others,i look after all,dedicated lights like vn ones are not suitable for my works use,only fun,outdoor pursuits etc

If i drop a $10 light and breaks,it will annoy me
If i drop a $300 light and breaks it will annoy me more :laughing:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm no collector, so my lights see use. I don't abuse them on purpose, but I'm not worried about dropping them or wear and tear.

That being said, if I know I'm going to be working on the car, I'll opt for my Solarforce instead of my Surefire.

I agree. If I am under the hood of my car, I'll use a couple of electric flourescent drop-lights, and either a head lamp, or usually a brinkman 2D LED that's been around the block a few times. :)

No I was talking about the drill! LOL I don't have anything big enough to function as a hammer!
LOL... well, I do have to admit to using the side of a pair of pliers to tap on something now and then. I don't think that makes me a bad guy :)

yearnslow

Enlightened
I don't pamper them, but I'm careful with them as they are invaluable out here, plus
They were expensive items and not easily replaced where I am.

N_N_R

Enlightened
plus
They were expensive items and not easily replaced where I am.

Haha, this is exactly my case :D

I've been waiting for my Preon 2 and another Olight i3s for two weeks already and I'm going crazy..... how am I to shock&water-test those two then, since I went through so much trouble to get them lol.

razzman1

Newly Enlightened
As a cop, and firearms instructor, my lights get abused. During our 'active murderer' training this year, I broke two (issued) TLR1s lights due to Sim rounds. I have broken a couple of bulbs on old Surefire incan flashlights, and my duty belt Streamlight looks like I drug it down the driveway.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a cop, and firearms instructor, my lights get abused. During our 'active murderer' training this year, I broke two (issued) TLR1s lights due to Sim rounds. I have broken a couple of bulbs on old Surefire incan flashlights, and my duty belt Streamlight looks like I drug it down the driveway.

Did the sim rounds hit the TLR-1? How did he break, exactly?