eBay Fraud on PK1?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys...

For what it`s worth, this guy(s) may very well be reading this thread.

When he was asked for a picture, I suspect he went onto the internet and did a search for "Photo King" in an effort to get another photo of the flashlight.

I just did such a search using the Metacrawler search engine, and the original CPF auction thread came up. Basically, it`s not too hard for him to view this discussion if he puts a little effort into the scam.

But...let`s see what happens next.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Catdaddy said:
I think some harm may have already been done. We will never know if this guy has depressed the bidding by making one or more bidders think they can get a PK1 elsewhere. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

True we may not know for sure, but I really doubt that anybody is bidding on that item other than CPF members or possibly some non-registered CPF lurkers. Who else would even know what the heck it is ... let alone pay over $1000 for it?

I do not think that anybody in either of those two groups would believe his phony offer.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
My God, Nybble, that scam-o-rama website is the most entertaining thing I have ever seen on the internet... (well, maybe with the exception of the nude pics of Alyssa Milano).

Thanks for making me waste a whole day . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well John has one PK1 and the other one was photographed about an hour ago in the possesion of a fellow who has no intention of selling it:
DSC00182a.jpg

I know this for a fact because I was sitting next to him but he cropped me out of the picture for a number of good reasons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I received an E-mail shortly after John posted his E-bay auction from a fellow who was familiar with the PK1's but couldn't find them on the SF web site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well if you'd just quit wearing that silly dive helmet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
well if you'd just quit wearing that silly dive helmet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rothrandir...

Nice touch....
Real nice touch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Hi, Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif )

In the CPF calendar, isn`t it the month of August we`re all waiting for? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We`ll have to plan some special tributes to Don when *his* month rolls around... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry for going "off-topic"...but that "dive helmet" picture of Don creates a rather pleasant disruption of "The Force" for me everytime I see it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, he finally got back to me today. I guess even scammers need their beauty sleep...

>Subject: RE: SureFire Photon King
>Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:22:00 GMT
>
>Ok Ka,
>
>But I sold the king 1 model.
>
>Do you want other model?

Sound like he's trying to scare me into panic buying?
So i replied...
YES! I Want the Photon King so Badly!
Provide me with a picture, and i will send funds immediately!! If you have more than 1, i will take up to 5 of these. Funds Are available immediately.
I can Send Cash if required.

Please get back to me ASAP, because i am desperate for this light.

PS. No Picture, No sale

Stay tuned!

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
OK ... I replied to his email:

I might be interested, can you tell me a little more about the Photon King 1.

Is it NIB or opened?

If it is opened do you still have the original warranty paperwork?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I got my email response too, here ya go:

Yes,

It is new and all original papers included.

Interested?

Price: 985 US$ including shipping charges.

I think I'm getting a better deal than kakster, since he needs to pay 950 EUR and he has to settle on a different model. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: I'm trying to negotiate the price down to $750, we'll see what happens.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I like Kakster's answer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You will put 10 of them to me if you have some in stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Take care of Internet robbers !
I makes confidence only with the biddings or sales on CPF. For the remainder I prefer bought new on famous sites.

dtsoll

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Suggest to him that you handle all of your large transactions through escrow.com, and tell him he needs to join. Escrow com holds the buyers money until the product has been received and inspected before they release it to the seller.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
What would this guy do if he knew that kakster and I are in communication with each other?

If he does offer me the $750 price I am asking for, then I think kakster should demand the same price and tell him he knows that I was given that deal.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, id expect to get them for $500 a piece if im taking 5 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Suggest to him that you handle all of your large transactions through escrow.com, and tell him he needs to join. Escrow com holds the buyers money until the product has been received and inspected before they release it to the seller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Escrow.com is real , but be very very careful of someone looking too use an escrow service you haven`t heard of, then double check anyway.

Fake escrow a simple and rewarding con:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3078510&p1=0

Adam

Darell

Flashaholic
Wanted to publicly alert everybody to my wrongnitude earlier. There are (obviously) two PK-1's in existance... even though I said only ONE earlier. Only one has ever been sold, and the other is in posession of the distinguished gentleman who built it.

I managed to confuse myself earlier, and I wanted to make it clear that I KNOW I was wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Darell wrong? That hasn't happened since Jan 12, 1992 has it ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Completely unrelated to Darell, but I got another offer from the PK1 auction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. At least this person does claim it is only a "similar" product:

eBay Secure Offers From Ebay
This is a secure offer from eBay member
Hello sir,
I have to offer you a similar product like the one you are bidding right now for less money
I have to sell it because i need some money
If you are interested and you want to buy please let me know
--------------------

Question from: mancioi
Title of item: SUREFIRE Photon King 1 LED Flashlight
Seller: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Starts: 16-Jan-04 00:17:01 EST
Ends: 26-Jan-04 00:17:01 EST
Price: Currently US $1,225.00

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow. I really wonder what the scammer magnet is about this particular auction? Do all expensive items like this attract the scum?

Mr. OCD - very astute of you to have written down that date, and generous of you to mention it. But I'll admit... it was actually Jan 16 of that same year.