Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

kj2

Flashaholic
The squarish corona was just something I noticed, while trying out the light. As I said, in the outdoors I don't notice it. Tint on my Alpha is great. Not to warm, and really not cool. Just a nice nw tint :)
Next on the list, a AVS Bravo ;)

Very interesting comments! I have both the spot and flood optics for the Alpha, plus the spot and flood optics for the AVS head (currently on one of my Bravos). To be honest I'm a bit conflicted. It's true that for white wall hunting these optics aren't ideal but they're fantastic for actual use. I'm especially torn between the two options in the Alpha. The spot is really great, decent throw while still giving very useful spill. The perceived brightness really drops off with the flood but in in actual use it's astonishing how much area it will light up. I can definitely say that if I was using an Alpha or Mini CBQ on a firearm I'd definitely choose the flood lens, no question (unless I was setting it up for hog/varmint hunting). So it comes down to what I plan to do with the light. For camping and using around the house the flood is great. Not so great for shining around trying to illuminate a parking lot (perhaps scanning before going to your car); for this application the better throw might be ideal.

I will say that I am very happy with the tint of my particular Alpha. It's cooler than my AVS head but still fairly neutral compared to most of my other lights.

Recently I picked up another Bravo from a CPF member and swapped the Hi/Low cap onto my Bravo with the AVS head. I can report that it plays perfectly with the Prometheus Ti clip. No wobble or wiggle, and it doesn't shift around when you switch to Low. I will also point out that the Low setting works much better on my AVS head than with the Alpha. I get a rhythmic flicker with the low setting of my Alpha. It would be pretty annoying if I used Low for long periods.

I really like my Alpha but now that I have my fourth Elzetta (1 Alpha, 2 Bravos and a Charlie) the Alpha isn't getting used as much as I anticipated. Very often I wind up grabbing one of my Bravos which kind of surprised me. The Bravo is perhaps less than an inch longer, not as big a difference as I thought there'd be. Plus I recently got a Malkoff head for my Surefire E1b and it really transformed it. I had grown to like my Alpha a lot more than my E1b but with the new Malkoff head the matchup is a lot closer, and often the Malkoff/E1b combo wins out because the clip design allows it to ride deeper in my pocket than the Alpha. They wind up splitting time pretty equally now. It's a great arrangement since I have the flood optic in the Alpha right now. When I want a floodier beam I carry the Alpha, when I anticipate needing more throw I grab the Surefire/Malkoff.

Probably my favorite Elzetta at the moment in my Bravo with the AVS head, spot optic, Hi/Low cap and Prometheus Ti clip. This is very close to perfection and I can't imagine how it could substantially improved for me. Maybe I'll have to get the fancier Ti clip with the blue/fade anodizing!:D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rob,

You were using the Hi/Lo switch for the AVS Bravo on the Alpha? If that is the case then maybe that's why you are getting the flicker on low. I don't own an Alpha but I thought it is using a different Hi/Lo switch? If I am not wrong, the resistance level on the Alpha's tail cap is different from those on the Bravo.

No, the Hi/Low for my Alpha came on it from Elzetta. I probably wasn't very clear on that. The Alpha was my first Elzetta, followed by a Bravo, then a Charlie, then an AVS head then one more Bravo. I've only lego'd the Bravo/Charlie parts as I'm aware that the the Alpha one doesn't work. I'm not sure why the flicker on the Alpha; is this a flaw unique to my individual light? It's not so much a flicker as a steady beat/pulse that's noticeably brighter. The pulses are about 1.25-1.5 seconds apart. I should probably contact Elzetta. It isn't a serious issue given the way I use the light but a $150 light should probably be perfect.

The regular Hi/Low tail switch works perfectly on both Bravos and the Charlie, with all the different heads and drop ins I have tried. I get a good solid low with the AVS head, the M60 Malkoff/Elzetta and the M61N in my other Bravo.

I have every switch option except the tape switch (which I'll get before long) and the Hi/Strobe which I really don't have a need for. I deliberately wanted to try them all, and each has its virtues. The Twisty is nice in that it's very unlikely to activate in a bag and run completely down. But I think the Hi/Low is the best overall. The actual clicky is stiff enough that I doubt it will be turned on accidentally, and the operation is really great. The only downside is that it's pretty expensive. Still on a $200 light there's little point in cheaping out in order to save ten bucks.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess maybe there is a problem with the switch then. Maybe the pin that is controlling the hi/lo output on the tail cap is not working well or maybe there's some extra resistance? Contact Elzetta and see what they say. Like I said, I don't own an Alpha and can't be of much help but I don't think flicker is normal.

Probably something to that. There's still a bit of lithium grease in it. I did take the tail cap off and generally cleaned it up and now it barely pulses at all. I could mess with it more but it's very minor and I'm pretty lazy!:crackup:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like the yellow, especially when there will soon be snow on the ground and will get dark sooner. I also like that elzetta decided to place their mini cqb bezel on their website. I found that bezel to be perfect for my needs. Not too sharp and able to see if the light is left on when it's bezel down.

So, it might be in my collection.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was kept very quiet. I wonder what else is coming in the future?
I am more of an blaze orange kind of guy. I also wish it came with the high/low tailcap.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is:

Can a high/low switch be screwed into a clicky tailcap? If so then the special edition high/low is just a tailcap-guts swap away.