Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well yes and no. The elzetta tail will screw onto a malkoff body but only a few turns. You have like a 1/4 inch gap. Not sure if it's waterproof at that point.
I had a PowerTac Warrior tailcap on my Alpha 315 for a while. It has a button for on/off and a side button with 4 levels, strobe and memory. Eventually the novelty wore off since it had parasitic drain and if you cut the circuit it always started on moonlight.
Never tried it on other Elzettas.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Thanks to our awesome forum member @muichimon I managed to aquire a ZFL-M60.
( unfortunately it has the spiky ding-dong head, but you make do with what you can )
I sort of knew but did not suspect that the ZFL version only differs from the bravo by what head is screwed on to it.
The hi/lo tail works on the ZFL version, so does the AVS head, and vica versa.

One major difference I noticed is that in the good old times the tail threads were not anodized, but the new ones are for some reason ( probably cost saving...? )

ZFL-M60 on the left, new gen bravo on the right

20220403_165914.jpg

Interestingly, they changed the logo as well:

20220403_165954.jpg

And the tail threads I mentioned, top is the old non-ano version:
( also do note that the M60 drop-in pushes the batteries ever so slighty more into the tail springs )

20220403_170156.jpg

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
fulee9999, thank you for the photos. I have an earlier Bravo body with non-ano tail threads, and instead of having 'Bravo' printed on it, it has ZFL-M60 printed on one side (after Elzetta), and on the other side (after Elzetta), it has printed, "illumination by (top line) Malkoff Devices (bottom line). My Charlie body has the older style logo, but also has anodized tail threads.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to our awesome forum member @muichimon I managed to aquire a ZFL-M60.
( unfortunately it has the spiky ding-dong head, but you make do with what you can )
I sort of knew but did not suspect that the ZFL version only differs from the bravo by what head is screwed on to it.
The hi/lo tail works on the ZFL version, so does the AVS head, and vica versa.

One major difference I noticed is that in the good old times the tail threads were not anodized, but the new ones are for some reason ( probably cost saving...? )

ZFL-M60 on the left, new gen bravo on the right

View attachment 25854

Interestingly, they changed the logo as well:

View attachment 25855

And the tail threads I mentioned, top is the old non-ano version:
( also do note that the M60 drop-in pushes the batteries ever so slighty more into the tail springs )

View attachment 25856
I am glad you were able to buy it safely.
The older models do not have HA threads on the tail switch side. I have an early Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and a ZFL that do not have HA on the tail thread. I believe the threads started being HA'd after the 5th digit of the serial number was changed to the initials of each model.

fulee9999

Enlightened
fulee9999, thank you for the photos. I have an earlier Bravo body with non-ano tail threads, and instead of having 'Bravo' printed on it, it has ZFL-M60 printed on one side (after Elzetta), and on the other side (after Elzetta), it has printed, "illumination by (top line) Malkoff Devices (bottom line). My Charlie body has the older style logo, but also has anodized tail threads.

huh, that's interesting with the Charlie body, so even the older ones are not uniform. By the way, this bravo body should also say "ZFL-M60" as well as this is a ZFL variant also, but I'm guessing the amount of laser etched bodies and ZFL type heads did not match up, so there were some ZFL setups that were sold as just plain bravo models.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I just realized it's technically feasible to put the LPC o-ring inside the clip.
I'm delighted that Thyrm in their infinite wisdom realized that more people have issues with the tail-to-body gap than how many have problems with their springs not being long enough, so they decided to ship o-rings with the LPC clips next to the semi-useless battery bumper metal rings.

So if you manage to put the clip first, then wiggle the o-ring inside the clip, between the tail threads and the clips inside wall, the clip will not rotate and you still have hi-lo. Awesome!

( not to mention what a tank this little beast is )

20220411_233743.jpg
20220411_233809.jpg

1649714413888.png

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are Surefire FM65 red filters the right size for the Elzetta Charlie tir head?

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's almost perfectly matching. With a piece of paper in between it should be ok then.

Kernelpanic

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
It's been many years since I purchased my last flashlight. It was an Elzetta Alpha.
I still have it and been carrying everyday. I'm looking to purchase a second one for in my walking rucksack, are they still solid reliable flashlights.
Cheers
KP

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hi,
It's been many years since I purchased my last flashlight. It was an Elzetta Alpha.
I still have it and been carrying everyday. I'm looking to purchase a second one for in my walking rucksack, are they still solid reliable flashlights.
Cheers
KP
Yes they are.
The latest version (gen 3) can use a rechargeable battery or a primary.
They may still have some gen 2 they called 113, which was a smooth bezel ring 415 lumen version with a hi/lo tailcap for clearance price.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
I too would like to see a new ZFL.
I regret that I should have bought the ZFL parts at that time because I could buy them from elzetta official until about December 2020.
What parts are there in total? I'm not sure why but in a parts bag I think I have what looks like the crenellated shell of the ZFL head like pictured earlier. Do you put drop ins into it or something? I never had a drop in before.

Attachments

• E427C539-6C94-47D2-BFE4-4F2541968AAB.jpeg
    E427C539-6C94-47D2-BFE4-4F2541968AAB.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 68