email respone from Maglite regarding LED lights

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: email respone from Maglite regarding LED light

I agree, James. While we might ask them to target us instead of the mass market, don't expect them to change. What would happen to their bottom line if they changed their target market? I guess that's just a rhetorical question since we know the answer.

They aren't going to give up a multimillion dollar market to go after a multithousand market.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

The way I read it is that Mag knows the drawbacks of LED lighting is no revenue in the sales of replacement bulbs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I bet that is a good portion of their current sales... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

I'm sure M@g's objection to putting out an LED light has to do with two things: 1 - that they specialize in mass market products at cheap prices and that they aren't really sure they want to delve into new territory , and 2 - getting into LEDs means electronics... they are an aluminum machining and electrical products company, not an electronics and circuit design company.

Big difference in the types of expertise needed in both the marketing and manufacturing arenas here, and for what? So, taking on new challenges means risk, and when you take on risk you expect payback.

To them, the $$ represented are still too small. It's like when I asked Budweiser back in the early 80s to make a dark beer. (Kinda... okay, not really, only in that they did not perceive a worthwhile market at that time. For them the rest would have been easy, but it took them many years to see the potential.)

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few rambling opinions:

Every time you lend someone your inferior Gaglite, you are advertising/promoting their product for them!

Gags may be "affordable" today, but I was around when they first came onto the market, and I distinctly remember thinking that they were expensive. Thus, although I wanted one of the D-cell models at the time, I never bought one because of price.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gag people monitor this board, especially the Mod section, and are using CPF as a free R&D resource... Heck, they probably are also first in line in the BST section to snatch up Gag mods to "review." I hope, but doubt, that the great modders on this board have patents to "protect" against infringements on their designs...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

oh, i am sure they frequent this board. i believe they even log certain forums of interest, that they may go back and review later, and possibly even use that information in their legal affairs.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Who knows maybe the drawbacks they are refering to are the incositiency of led colors... That would be the only thing I can think of other than the initial cost.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think some things said here, bear repeating.

[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
if you think arc has problems getting luxeons good enough for the ls just think how hard it would be for the quantity mag would need!

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good point...

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Regardless of your feelings regarding Maglite's business practices, and the stagnation of their R&D demonstrated by the same old product year after year, there is a truth that needs to be pointed out. Maglite has never introduced a light that wasn't cutting edge or of the highest quality at the time of it's introduction. If the quality is indeed inferior, if and when they add LED technology, that would be an extreme departure from their past practice.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Thanks Empath, for being a voice of reason, always (even though I don't always agree with you).

[ QUOTE ]
Frangible said:
They are targeting Joe Blow consumer, who will not spend $140 for a Surefire L4...
I think Mag will only release LED products if their target market is willing to pay for the benefit difference over conventional technology. And I'm not sure that day is here...

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree...

[ QUOTE ]
radellaf said:
Personally, I think Mags are still top-notch "regular" flashlights.
I honestly don't think anyone but us cares about beam patterns. Mags focus to a nice tight spot, and generally I bet that's where people leave them. The flood is a nice bonus...
...<chuckle> and as for making an LED bulb you have to replace, before you accuse Mag, talk to the people modding their Electrolumens Blaster 5W "1000 hour" LEDs for ampere + currents. ;-)...
...They're not new tek, but they're reliable. Their legal department sucks, I'm fully with you there...

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, I agree...

[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
Love 'em or hate 'em, it'll be a good long while before the general public is swayed away from cheap maglites, LED or not...
...We CPFers are really in the minority in that the common consumer still gasps at the thought of spending over $20.00 for a flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup...

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
We're so used to getting a clear line on the inner workings of the smaller companies that have representatives around here that we're trying to get the same level of info out of a response from the PR department at Mag and it's just not going to happen.
I do expect that when they do it that it will be a fine light. Nothing too special but they really don't put out garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.
And where is the Surefire representative here on CPF? Or the Surefire forum? One of the companies that garners the most loyalty here, remains unrepresented.
Where is the Streamlight rep.? The Pelican, UK or PT reps.?

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
So, how do you interpret this comment from Mag?
"There are some benefits to the LED light source but there are some drawbacks also..."

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this means the luxeon lottery. As snakebite said, in the quantities Mag produces, the lottery would be a friggin' nightmare.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quality of Mags is, I think, very very good. The brightest single LED flashlight in the world (MR X), is in a Mag body.
The last light that was the brightest single LED (Space Needle II) was in a Mag body.

I have always liked Mags, and if they ever make an LED light, I'll get one, if I like it.
Surefire's quality is higher than that of Mag, but I still don't have one, because they haven't made one yet that I like.

That's all I have to say.
Wait, I didn't say much of anything, did I? Just a bunch of quotes...

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

At the very least, someone at some time has checked CPF. They have a link to CPF.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
DavidW said:
At the very least, someone at some time has checked CPF. They have a link to CPF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad their link doesn't even work!

I wonder if there is a reason for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

The link works, but it's for the old software site. The old site has a link to the new CPF; so it's a two clicker instead of a one clicker.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

holy crap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

why in hell would they link to us? possibly the worse place a consumer could go if they were interested in purcasing a maglite...
not only would we make them aware of superior lights, but we frequently bash them!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Roth, we bash others as well, not as frequently, but we do. And the bashing is mostly for their legal issues. If you leave this out, there are some of us who like theirs Mags and look at the mod-section! Mag rules there.

IMHO shankus summed up some very good points. When you try to forget your burning anger you will see the truth there.

bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i agree that mags are good hosts, and understand that innovation is not in their business model, and at this time, may not even be a good thing for them. i don't hate them for that, and i've made more than a couple mag mods myself, and find them to be the best host for the size by far.
you're right, i am burning mad. i'm not mad for any of the reasons listed above by shankus. i'm made because of their "evil" nature. i don't care if they produce the best lights in the world...if they go about attacking companies for no other reason than to put them out of the marketplace, they will earn no respect from me.
that's the truth i see. whether or not you or anyone else agrees with me, or understands my reasoning.