Experience with P91 high output

BigBaller

Enlightened
Anyone here fancy their 9P or C3 with the P91 200 lumen lamp? I was thinking of putting together a little 9 volt lightsaber for carry in a horizontal holster. What do you use yours for? How would you carry it? Any pros or cons other than the obvious runtime difference? :popcorn:

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
From what I've heard the P91 doesn't have much better throw than the P90. It's more of a high intensity flood light.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Yeah, the P91. It's a great lamp. I am running a P91 off of two AW 18650 li-on rechargables. The tube is a custom 2x18650 with C adaptor by TranquillityBase. But you don't need a custom tube. I also use an A19 adaptor on my 9P ( or two A19 adaptors on my 6P) with two AW 17670 li-on rechargable batteries to power the P91.
While it is true that it doesn't throw any farther than a P90, it sure provides a hugh amount light with much larger hotspot than the P90. The P91 is pretty impressive and you will quickly become addicted. The rechargables provide "guilt free" lumens. Now these setups above are a little longer than a C3 or 9P with primary CR123's but you will get a much longer runtime and the beam will stay bright white for the entire duration. I highly recommend it. Others on CPF are doing the same thing and I would bet they are all very happy with their setups.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I agree pretty much with everything that NR just said above as I have the same identical setup - fantastic beam. However, the only one negative that I have found in this combo (and why I prefer the P90 or the HP-9V bulbs) is that after 10-15 minutes it gets too hot for me to hold on confortably :crazy:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 guys above me just said it. It's a little long, and heats up real quick, but 2x17670s is nice.

dasanii19

Enlightened
Omega Man said:
The 2 guys above me just said it. It's a little long, and heats up real quick, but 2x17670s is nice.

So 2X17670 X A19 on a 6p with a p91 lamp would be a nice setup? Ive sold all my lamps off now and have nothing so I would like a nice suggestion for my 6p, I already have an A19 but now just need to know what lamp and what rechargables to get, can someone setup me up here? Ill order tomorrow.. Thanks.. I dont care really what you suggest, but prefferably practical, some what long run time (around 40-50+ mins), and bright!!! durable reliable and all that other stuff.. Please make this an easy decision for me guys.. Pleeeesee pleeeaassee please I beg of you lol... :grin2:

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
dasanii19 said:
So 2X17670 X A19 on a 6p with a p91 lamp would be a nice setup? Ive sold all my lamps off now and have nothing so I would like a nice suggestion for my 6p, I already have an A19 but now just need to know what lamp and what rechargables to get, can someone setup me up here? Ill order tomorrow.. Thanks.. I dont care really what you suggest, but prefferably practical, some what long run time (around 40-50+ mins), and bright!!! durable reliable and all that other stuff.. Please make this an easy decision for me guys.. Pleeeesee pleeeaassee please I beg of you lol... :grin2:

You would need 2 cell extenders to use 2 17670s on a 6p.

firefly99

Enlightened
BigBaller said:
Anyone here fancy their 9P or C3 with the P91 200 lumen lamp? I was thinking of putting together a little 9 volt lightsaber for carry in a horizontal holster. What do you use yours for? How would you carry it? Any pros or cons other than the obvious runtime difference? :popcorn:
I had a 9P with P91. Impressive beam much brighter hotspot. But does not throw any further than P90. For whitewall. Shelf queen.

Adding a KT2 turbo head would increase the throw.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
dasanii19 said:
The A19 is on a C3, with two 17670s. I think I got close to an hours runtime total,atleast. I could only run it about 20 mins before it got riduculously hot. Hot enough that I was having a problem finding a surface I was comfortable laying the thing down on. Eventualy stuck it on a open window sill to cool.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here as the rest of you folks. I've got a 6P+(2xA19)+P91+(2xPila168S). Its a great light, and one of the few from my arsenal that actually gets some regular use. I'd say its a good light for just about anything outdoors under 50 or 75 yards, as its a good combo of throwy and floody.

cheers

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
I agree pretty much with everything that NR just said above as I have the same identical setup - fantastic beam. However, the only one negative that I have found in this combo (and why I prefer the P90 or the HP-9V bulbs) is that after 10-15 minutes it gets too hot for me to hold on confortably :crazy:

I will have to agree this setup gets hot with extended use. I am even using the M2 head on my setup. The last time I did a runtime test/battery recycle on the thing it was so hot I couldn't pick it up. Even the whole tube was hot.
I don't typically use it for such long durations so it's not a problem. If you anticipate using it regularly for long durations I would second wquiles suggestion of using the P90 or Digilite Hp-9v. In fact, I have another similar setup with the P90 in it for just this purpose.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey BigBaller,

I have a 9P and use a P91 lamp to spot trails on night hikes. Its very useful when I trailblaze and light the path for the rest of the group.

I prefer the P90 for the day to day stuff though. I carry my light in a SF V10 holster. Its an older one without the logo on the outside.

kelmo

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the older batteries and some 17500's don't work on the first click with the P91. For example I was using two older Pila 17500's in my 9P with the P91 and needed to double click. This is one of the reasons I moved to two 17670's instead of two 17500's at the time. However, now, all of AW's new protected 18650's, 17670's, and 17500's will work with one click with the P91. (All of AW's cells work with one click until the batteries get almost totally depleated.)

pete7226

Enlightened
P91 brighter hotspot, not much though. Gets yellow after about 10 30-45 second bursts such as on a traffic stop. Have used the p90 bulb for the last 10 years. Short run-time of p91 isnt worth it for me, and carrying 3 lights is too much too ask with 30lbs of gear I'm already wearing. My second light is a tl2 led for vehicle searching. M4 for building/field searching. A rechargeable option is the way to go if youre stuck on this bulb.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Some more data points:

In the evenings I got out with my little girl for a walk in our neightborhood. I normally take either my A2 (with rechargeables, of course!) or my 2x18650 TB custom tube with M2 bezel and HP-9V. My walks are about 20-30 minutes tipical.

The A2 sometimes gets pretty warm after our walks. Not umberable, but definitely very warm.

The P90 or HP-9V are almost perfect for this role, given the huge battery capacity of the 2x18650 cells - flat discharge rate. Not as white beam as the A2, but certainly brighter.

The P91 out of the same 2x18650 is "expectacular" - not throw wise, but lumens wise. Great beam. It just gets too darn hot. I tried twice and stop using it altogether - not worth the heat!

Today, now that I have a regulated M6-R(7.5V) pack for my M6, I used the new MN20 bulb, which is approx. 300 lumens. It is a stunning beam, even brighter than the P91, and with significant more throw, but given the larger mass on the M6, the fact that the reflector is floating and isolated from the bezel, and finally, given the heat disipating rings on the M6 and KT4 bezel, after the 20min walk, the M6 was warm but still confortable. True, with this pack I only have about 1/2 hour runtime, but it is a stunning white, and constant output until the warning pulses arrive, which is perfect for my walks at night ;)

Will

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
These guys have said it all. The P91 will not give you a "lightsaber." It will give you a wall of white light surpassed (in such a slim body) only by a 12V Digilight or 12V/13V G&P, Wolf Eyes, or Pila.

If you want "lightsaber" throw in a slim body, you need a Streamlight TL-3 or a tactical body with a miniturbo head (41 to 43mm) or turbo head (50+ mm). Or a custom light, such as one of the crazy-bright offerings by FiveMega.

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
Here is a copy of a post I did with beamshots on BB that may be of use. :D

I think its unfair to say the P91 doesn't throw further than the P90 :O

mojofilter said:
Ok, I have managed to skive for long enough to do some comparitive beamshots! :D

The HP lamp falls somewhere between the P90 and the P91. It is hard to compare it directly for light output with the surefire lamps because the beam is much more tightly focused, so most of the lumens are going into the hotspot rather than spilling out to the side. It is definatly brighter than the P90, but as you can see its much more of a spot beam than the semi flood of the P90. The P91 is still the undisputed heavyweight champion tho.... ;)

I do like the HP lamp, there are a lot of times when you want to really reach out into the darkness, and there is no doubt it beats the P90 in this respect. I am not sure how they compare for runtime, perhaps Raoul would be so kind? :)

Here are the pics, all taken from the exact same distance, and at the same settings, namely f4.6 and an 8s exposure.

Firstly the P90

P1030625.jpg

Next the HP....

P1030623.jpg

And finally the mighty P91.... :D

P1030624.jpg

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to get things straight. I bought 3 protected 17670's for my 2 L4's. I also have a Z3. I can use two 17670's + A19 + P90/P91?

What is the runtime on the P90 and P91 with AW's cells?
Any noticable decrease in bulb life?
Do you run the lights until the low voltage protection kicks in?
To run this setup safely, you would have to use two fully charged cells initially right?

AW's cells are great! Since I got them for my L4's, I've been trying to find what else they'll fit in to!