FatFlex Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fatflex was pushed down the 'priority' list due to other work. I hope to get some time within the next couple of weeks to finish up the testing. It had one 'feature' that I now have a good idea of how to fix. If that pans out, then production boards could be in hand by mid June.

george.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Sign me up for these - I am ready to buy at least two of these Fatflex beauties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

Darell

Flashaholic
I'm struggling to keep up with all the latest goings on, here!

If this will primarily be used in a flashlight, then UI1 is for sure the answer here. As far as I'm concerned, the nFlex code is really aimed at fixed lighting - where it works great.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
LH UI1 is good idea!

i would LOVE one of these boards. Finally, i will be able to build my CopperTubeLite with the functions i want!

neg

Biggimo1

Newly Enlightened
So whats going on with this board? I have seen nothing about it on the Task Led site. I want one or eight of them. This looks like a great caving headlamp board.

I used nFlex on my last headlight and really liked the momentary switch control. and now I have some waterproof ones to play with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Biggimo1 said:
So whats going on with this board? I have seen nothing about it on the Task Led site. I want one or eight of them. This looks like a great caving headlamp board.

I used nFlex on my last headlight and really liked the momentary switch control. and now I have some waterproof ones to play with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Psychic eh? I JUST (no kidding) finished assembling a new protopcb (I'll post photos later today). I also JUST (lunchtime) bought a programming clip to allow me to download the firmware without needing a header on the board etc. So, I am working on it and it will have the new firmware (like I just posted on the UI nFlex thread on this same forum).

george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, latest assembled pcb proto of fatflex.

Top view:
fatflext1.jpg

Bottom view:
fatflexb1.jpg

Next I have to download the firmware (new UI1 style - operating features/manual will be very similar to nFlex UI1 manual - of course FatFlex is Fatman based - so it is a BOOST converter so ignore the 'electrical specs' of the nFlex UI1 manual.

Then testing and beatings commence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. So, shouldn't be too long before I can commit to a production PCB run.

george.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm.... nFlex²? Fatman²? Fat²?

F²?

just a few interesting names....

also,

MESA WANTY!

i would like one...

neg

NITEFISH

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice - good to see that you are maaking progress. Any ideas of the diameter this driver will have?

If there is a possibility to increase the mA to 1500, this driver would be very interesting for the upcoming K2 Led. Any chance that the production version can handle 1500mA?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mobile1 said:
very nice - good to see that you are maaking progress. Any ideas of the diameter this driver will have?

If there is a possibility to increase the mA to 1500, this driver would be very interesting for the upcoming K2 Led. Any chance that the production version can handle 1500mA?

[/ QUOTE ]

FatFlex is based on Fatman - so same electrical drive characteristics. 1500mA is pretty tough for a boost driver (especially a small IC with the switch elements internal). The bigger the voltage delta (in vs out), the great the input current that has to go through the switch element. Easier to do a high power buck converter. Also, at 1500mA out, the input current to a boost converter is going to be high enough to freak out small li-ion cells.

FatFlex is the same diameter as Fatman.

george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the firmware downloaded (same as the new nFlex UI1). All seems to be working well at this stage - now the serious beatings must commence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FatFlex on dim:

fatfdim.jpg

and FatFlex on medium:

fatfmed.jpg

I tested the sleep current (electronic off) and I measure <25uA - so a battery will last a long time on sleep. 25uA x 24 * 365 ~ 220mAHr in one year of 'standby/sleep'.

george.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Most excellent! Paypal ready! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.