Favorite multi-tools

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
First of all, there is only one brand that makes multitools that are worth buying! And that is Leatherman! ;)
Seriously though, I dont like any other than Leatherman, and my fav now is the charge, I liked the wave when I had that, but missed some of the features the charge have over it, one thing Im not sure of yet is that they have removed the screwdrivers and replaced them with a removable bit. The ones on the older wave could reach in remotecontrols and such, now i still have to use a regular screwdriver just to open stuff that has a narrow passage before you reach the screw.

Had the surge but needed the money so I sold it, otherwise that is to really a nice model! A bit big for EDC, but works in the backpack or workpants!

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was talking to my dad this morning about multi-tools, since I know he has had a ton. His favorite used to be a large SOG, but it is currently a Gerber. He does not like the Leatherman multi-tools at all, and I finally know why; they do not have any support for the 'opening' movement. His gerber locks the pliers in for opening and closing the jaws, and the Leatherman tools do not.

For instance, if you are cutting a wire, and the jaws get stuck in the closed position, when you go to open the jaws the handles just fold around the jaws while they remain stuck.

I know the original Leatherman tools used this design, but do all of the newer models work the same way?

schiesz

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone owned a paladin PT-540? That's got to be someone's favorite out there. Its built by SOG, even bigger then the PowerLock, with even more tools, and weighs in at 13 oz!

Retinator

Enlightened
Strangely my SAK addiction has hit harder than my lights.

I've got........

Leatherman Wave (old style)
Vic Classic (black, most used SAK)
Vic SwissChamp (The more I use this one, the more I'm liking it)
Wenger T-814 Evolution Soft Touch (got free from pts from credit card :))
Wenger Alpine Backpacker, 100% serrated locking blade, woodsaw, nail file/cleaner, reamer and corkscrew. Also has non-reflective (grey) steel implements, camoflauge (realtree advantage timber)

Wenger Pocket Tool Chest with Microlight (mandarin orange color)

And there's 3 more I'd like to have....

Wenger Ranger 172 (Gardener) - These things are friggin HUGE!
Wenger S557 (Gripped version) - wanna try the wrench :)
Vic Farmer (haven't heard anything bad about these)

I find the smaller ones are carried and therefore used more than the others. I try to keep 1 small, 1 large on me at all times. The Classic usually takes care of 80% of what i need.

Ya I think I'm gonna go back to lights this year lol

Currently stalking the 6PL :)

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Multitool.org forum, the Victorinox brand (Swisstool and Spirit) are by far the favorites there, even more so than Leatherman, SOG, and Gerber. Highest quality is the most mentioned factor.
http://forum.multitool.org/

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Victorinox SwissTool X (heavy to carry)
Victorinox Spirit (I have been carrying this for the past few months)

Is there any difference between the 2 vics in regards to the stiffness of the tools when opening them using the nail nicks? Are they both equally easy to open? thanks

cyberhobo

Enlightened
SOG Power Lock--------and no others---------------------------

cpythonhdshostel9.png

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leatherman Charge Ti with optional bit kit and bit extender.

I use two Charge leather holsters to carry the multitool, Peak Baltic SP AAA flashlight and bit extender in one holster...three trays of bits, a 4 inch (100mm) adjustable wrench and a Fisher space pen. Those four small side pockets get those additonal tools. It is my work EDC and it works amazingly well. From screws, allen heads, torx to precision screws...I can take care of it with the bit kits. Deep screw? Throw on the bit extender that rests in the small side pockets of the holster. Pull the Baltic AAA from the other small pocket, pop it in for a mouth hold and maybe the adjustable wrench to get at the nut behind the screw. Once I am done, pull the Fisher pen out to sign a form etc. and press on.

I love the Charge Ti tool system I've put together and see nothing else out there like it. Heck, running two Charge holsters gives me many options including flashlight carry.

Have Leatherman Micra on my keychain...works well.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any difference between the 2 vics in regards to the stiffness of the tools when opening them using the nail nicks? Are they both equally easy to open? thanks

I cannot discern a difference in ease of opening either tool. There are a few different vintages of the larger SwissTool and some people have commented that they break fingernails when opening blades on their SwissTool. I haven't had that problem and find the blades easy to open on both my Spirit and SwissTool X.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot discern a difference in ease of opening either tool. There are a few different vintages of the larger SwissTool and some people have commented that they break fingernails when opening blades on their SwissTool. I haven't had that problem and find the blades easy to open on both my Spirit and SwissTool X.

That's nice to know. They must have tweaked the newer larger Swisstool to make it easier to open the tools.

I am interested in getting one but can't make up my mind. I'll be using it around the house so I don't need to EDC it. I like the heavy duty aspect of the larger Swisstool with both serrated/straight blade but the needle nose/curved handles of the Spirit.

1) Overall, which do you prefer, the larger Swisstool or the Spirit? Why?
2) Did you get the ratchet? How is it?
thanks

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
These days I tend to have a skeletool in my pocket. However, the Leatherman Charge and Wave are right up there on my list of favorites.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in getting one but can't make up my mind. I'll be using it around the house so I don't need to EDC it. ......
1) Overall, which do you prefer, the larger Swisstool or the Spirit? Why?
2) Did you get the ratchet? How is it?
thanks

My main use for multitools is EDC because I have a good selection of single purpose tools at home.

For non-EDC use, I would opt for the SwissTool (I have the SwissTool X because I need a scissors for occasional EDC). The individual tools are larger than the corresponding tools in the Spirit. The SwissTool X scissors is much larger than the Spirit's scissors -- significantly bigger capacity

I posted some comparison photos in this thread at EDCforums.com.

Victorinox ratchet? No -- I have a 30+year assortment of Craftsman ,SK, Snap-On, and Proto socket sets.

Pitto

Newly Enlightened
i had one of the original Leatherman Supertools years ago. loved it, although the handles cut into you.

Then cam along the Victorinox Swisstool Rescue, a present from a family member and i was disappointed as i wanted the new Leatherman Wave. after using the Swisstool, its a great knife.

Having just lost it on a job recently, i am now looking at either a new Swisstool or going for a Leatherman wave, as i like the socket driver on the Wave. i cant make up my mind which to get.

Are these on ebay Genuine? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/leatherman-w...ryZ66824QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
For me its the Leatherman Charge Ti , an the vic spirit . If I could bring back a blast from the past it would be the Leatherman Sideclip , real minimalism coupled to good performance .

Chris

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could bring back a blast from the past it would be the Leatherman Sideclip , real minimalism coupled to good performance .

Chris
I agree about the Sideclip, it is my favorite all-time Leatherman, and I still carry it the most (aside from the Squirt on my keychain), even though I have 9 or 10 different Leatherman models now, and a few other brands as well.

For the money ($21 at Walmart) the Kick is hard to beat and I have them in the gloveboxes of two of our cars, and will be adding them to our other two cars in the near future.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
On ebay some swisstools have in their description the term "soft springs for easy opening" so it does seem that SAK made an improvement.