Fenix E01 Acting Up Intermittantly

ragweed

Enlightened
My E01 would not come on at times. The battery's I tried were all good so, I cleaned the head & the inside tube contact & it was still acting up at times with not coming on. Should I pull the spring & clean that & the bottom of the tube? Thanks!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix Eo1 Acting Up Intermittantly

It is possible an alkaline battery has leaked on the top of the spring enough to make it corroded.

ragweed

Enlightened

That did happen once. It was a very tiny leak that I caught in time before it got to be a mess. I only use eneloops now. Guess I will pull the spring & see whats going on.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Interesting, the E01 is renowned for its reliability, threads such as this are exceedingly rare. :shrug:
BTW I have moved this thread to the /LED Flashlights/ discussion subforum.

Best of luck,

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

That did happen once. It was a very tiny leak that I caught in time before it got to be a mess. I only use eneloops now. Guess I will pull the spring & see whats going on.
you could try a pencil with an eraser on the end down the tube and twist it around to see if that polishes the spring (if it is corroded some)

paintballdad

Enlightened

I'm having the same problem with my daughter's E01. It intermittently would not turn on and after a few twists it starts working again. It would start having the same problem if not used for some time. I think the problem might be the negative contacts on the head not making a connection with the battery tube. I was going to try to build up the contacts with a thin layer of solder.

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened

Try stretching the spring at the bottom. One of my E01s failed to properly maintain contact when I was switching between rechargables and alkalines during runtime testing.

Vesper

Enlightened

After a drop my daughter's did this too. After messing with the bottom spring it was fine. Needed to be "reseated" and stretched a bit.

ragweed

Enlightened

I pulled the spring & it had oxidation on it as well as the bottom of the tube. Cleaned both with deoxit & reseated the spring. This fixed the problem. Thanks Everyone!

Racer

Enlightened

Thanks for the good advice on the E01, guys :)

Seems clear now that I should test the E01 on my wife's keychain maybe once a month. Just in case. This is a great light that I have mucho respect for.

ragweed

Enlightened

Thanks for the good advice on the E01, guys :)

Seems clear now that I should test the E01 on my wife's keychain maybe once a month. Just in case. This is a great light that I have mucho respect for.
Yes the E01 is a great light! I used it for 2 years before it started acting up. I am now going to give it a thorough cleaning every 6 months from now on.

Racer

Enlightened

These 5mm lights are one area where the CPF community has really helped me to understand the importance of. Without the knowledge of the community I could go to an online store and see all manner of AAA lights. I could look all the specs and reviews and totally miss a light like the E01. The specs aren't that great. Low output, horrible tint, decent run time. The specs don't tell you that it would survive a nuclear blast and be happily lighting the area while its owner is a brown spot on the ground.

If one of my lights fails in normal use, I will pretty much always have a backup. I'm a plan B kind of guy. But if my wife or mom or aunt or daughter has one of their 5mm lights fail (mixture of E01 and some T0), it could be very very bad because they generally only use it in an emergency. So if it fails someone I love, it fails them in what's probably already an emergency. A high risk of that is obviously unacceptable to me.

So that kind of piece of mind doesn't come across in the specs of some of these great lights like the E01.