Fenix E01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work shadeone! Thanks for your efforts. Just got my two and I am pleased with them. They are brighter than my E0's and considring it's $15.00, the build quality is great.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its' not that bad of a light. Hopefully whiter and brighter 5mm leds come out and someone can figure out how to transplant it. Doing a ceiling bounce test it seems to have the same output as my E1B on low, 5 lumens. But the E1B could most certainly be putting out more than that since we know they underguesstimate their output levels. So who knows what its actually putting out.

st4r_314

Newly Enlightened
"Conclusion

The Bad - Runtime is slightly shorter than expected. Advertised overall runtime with the inclusion of "moon" mode is slightly misleading as it extremely dim, about 0.5%, compared to its initial "sun" mode."

http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_e01/review.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that this statement is misleading, the step-like sun to moon mode transition seems to be a characteristic of Nickel metal hydride batteries: as can be observed in many runtime graphs such as for the l2d ce and l1d ce (Chevrofreak thread " Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs")

For this is nascar's runtime graphs (e01) the alkaline e01 response look good for warning a user of low battery (sun to moon mode transition)

When I get my e01 (ordered 3 in olive color:cool:) I will run alkalines in warm weather and lithiums for winter. :)

Also, it is interesting that light-reviews.com concluded low circuit efficiency for e01...

Edit: I am unsure if Nickel metal hydride battery performance is the sole cause for the step like behavior in sun to moon mode transition: I did not consider the effects of regulation...

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I like how the "50% efficient" number was pulled out of thin air when it is very clearly much more than that. I also like the pure speculation of the "10 hours on L92" when it's also been showed to be MUCH longer than that, up to 16 hours!!

st4r_314

Newly Enlightened
I like how the "50% efficient" number was pulled out of thin air when it is very clearly much more than that. I also like the pure speculation of the "10 hours on L92" when it's also been showed to be MUCH longer than that, up to 16 hours!!
Logic is a wonderful skill!

Enjoy the light all! :wave:

neophyte340

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these in the mail yesterday. I put it on around my neck with a usb neck strap (minus usb) and showered with it on with no lights. lol :thumbsup:

It worked great and there was plenty of light even pointed down. I then let it run all night long (the battery was old too) and it was still on this morning. Moon mode i think. it was less light for sure.

While it doesnt make quite(even with new battery) as much light as those 22,000 mcd 10 for 5 dollar kaidomain keychain lights it sure runs longer and is waterproof. Its also a whiter light with more usable spill.

streetmaster

Enlightened
Uh, you um, aren't sleeping with it are you? Did you at least buy it a nice dinner first? LOL
Haha. :laughing: I bring one of mine to bed with me. Well, not In bed with me, but by the bed. It works great for those late night bathroom runs without waking the wife.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh, you um, aren't sleeping with it are you? Did you at least buy it a nice dinner first? LOL

LOL. I sometimes shower with flashlight lighting (crazy) - but I leave it outside the shower and let the light shine in. I don't like getting intimate with inanimate objects myself... :crackup: ...even flashlights.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does one determine a 50% efficiency rating?

Assume battery is 800 mAh capacity at nominal 1.2 volts
1.2 V * 0.8 Ah = 0.96 watt hours into the driver

Assume forward voltage is 3.5 volts, and current to the emitter is 20 mA.
3.5 V * .02 A * 7 hours = 0.49 watt hours out of the driver

0.49 Wh output / 0.96 Wh input = 51% efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.