Fenix E05 quality

ragweed

Enlightened
Re: Fenix E05 retina searing quality

I have an E05 & love it! No problems at all & EDC it almost every day along with other lights I change up with now & then. Its not a long term emergency light like the E01 or Gerber Infinity but for EDC its great IMO.

tam17

Enlightened

But do you find it a little too bright for N.A.V.?

Although some may disagree, NAV is becoming an imaginary term for us living in urban areas with heavy light pollution. IMO 2-mode driver with a "low low" would ruin the whole KISS concept of E05, it's best left as it is.

Affordable AA E05 with a nice tint (no R4/R5, please!) would be a killer, though. I'm not sure if Fenix R&D folks ever read their user feedback forms, I must've filled-in dozens of them requesting the single-mode AA.

Cheers

LightCrazy

Enlightened

Thanks for the help from you great people on this site! I like to hear the good and bad about things like flashlights BEFORE I buy them. Any good and bad issues people bring up when this kind of a question is asked just helps the rest of us make a more informed decision. Thanks. Karl

BR101

Newly Enlightened
My buddy has the E05 and I got to use it about two months ago on the side of the highway while replacing a flat tire. I was overly impressed with the build and light quality.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
The E01 is a wonderful keychain light and backup light, the E05 really is far superior for doing most day-to-day stuff. Better beam, better tint, the brightness covers more uses than the E01, and it's smaller.

I will say that I've also wondered how durable the E05's plastic optic would be over the long haul, but with that said I purchase my lights from reputable dealers that I know will take care of me if anything were to happen.

mkien2012

Newly Enlightened
I just recently got one of these. I like the beam. A nice floody even light. I personally would never buy a AAA light for throw but who knows in the future. An interesting note on mine. Mine has a kinda momentary on. If I use my thumb and finger and compress the light head to the body it will come on as long as I keep it compressed It will then turn off when I release. This is when it is screwed down just to the point before it turns on. I have not tested its waterproofness but I think a momentary on feature like this is more valuable to me than being waterproof. This may be a defect but I am not arguing. Does anyone else's do this?

BTW: TWl I agree with you whole heartedly. How hard is it ( or expensive) to change out batteries on a light I will use as my EDC on my keychain? Now for backpacking or survival that is another story...
i know that this post is one year ago, but i want to let you know i havw the same momwntary on. By the way, mine is faulty already, sometime unable to be twisted on. has to be knocked a few time on the head part to get it on. i guess there are many cases like this.

blankc72

Newly Enlightened
I've had that happen with my E05 when I first got it. When it does not turn on consistently I cleaned the electrical contacts with a q tip and alcohol and it works normally again. I clean mine about once a month now and haven't had any problems with it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

mkien2012

Newly Enlightened
I've had that happen with my E05 when I first got it. When it does not turn on consistently I cleaned the electrical contacts with a q tip and alcohol and it works normally again. I clean mine about once a month now and haven't had any problems with it since.

ok...i will try that with mine. thanks for the tips.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know that this post is one year ago, but i want to let you know i havw the same momwntary on. By the way, mine is faulty already, sometime unable to be twisted on. has to be knocked a few time on the head part to get it on. i guess there are many cases like this.

Pretty much a bullet proof light,very old tech but still better than most of the junk on the flea.

mkien2012

Newly Enlightened
ok...i will try that with mine. thanks for the tips.
i have cleaned the electrical contacts: both the positive and negative terminals and also thread area where the head/cap screws on to the body. But the problem is still there.
I have dropped it onto concrit a few times before so i guess that's that.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turning a TWISTY to just before it turns on allows ANY light to be a "momentary" on. It works on Quarks, Xenos, Fenix, etc, etc. part of the reason is that the "O" ring allows movement of the head enough to complete the circuit. Some people recommend pushing the head and tail towards each other, some even suggest a downward force in effect slightly bending the head of the light for "on" & releasing it for "off".(I personally feel this is a bad idea).
This same concept allows mode changes quite easily with one hand. Some lights have much tighter design specs and those lights are more difficult to do this with, just as typically the larger lights are not as easy to do this with as the small ones.

blankc72

Newly Enlightened
i have cleaned the electrical contacts: both the positive and negative terminals and also thread area where the head/cap screws on to the body. But the problem is still there.
I have dropped it onto concrit a few times before so i guess that's that.

At least it was worth a try before giving up on it.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm...

Just inquired about this in another thread. Different question here: does anyone know if any concrete design changes were made to correct the problem?

Last edited:

chazz

Enlightened
I was curious about this also, is the E05 2014 edition any tougher than the older ones or about the same?

Anyone taken both apart and compared? Torture tests ? :)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little frustrated here. Did some searching but not much data on long term durability. Half of CPF own one....

Do they hold up well?