Fenix E05 quality

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh,

I could have sworn Fenix was a well known brand on CPF & that the E05 & E01 were particularly popular.

Let me take this opportunity to introduce you guys to Fenix. They make flashlights.

I was wondering if anyone owned an E05 old or new version, and it's durability long term?

F-E-N-I-X is the spelling "E05" is the model.

Possibly picking one up today but need durability feedback.

Thanks!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forrest, if and when it's Fenix, the experience and reliability is across their line up pretty much.
I haven't found it wavers because it's a LD01 or 02 etc.. At least not in the seven I own.
It is my preferred line for a great light at semi decent price hand down.
Ymmv, but I doubt by much from any other Fenix you currently own, if you don't own one, go pick mushrooms. ☺

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forrest, if and when it's Fenix, the experience and reliability is across their line up pretty much.
I haven't found it wavers because it's a LD01 or 02 etc.. At least not in the seven I own.
It is my preferred line for a great light at semi decent price hand down.
Ymmv, but I doubt by much from any other Fenix you currently own, if you don't own one, go pick mushrooms. ☺

Thanks for the reply, I do see some failures with the E05 on the web, but was trying to narrow down wether that was isolated more towards the older EO5 vs the new 85 lumen version. It's my understanding there was a weak solder joint. I figure CPF might expedite the research process. Maybe offer experiences.

Just doing my homework. I do not own Fenixes and only have experiences with the E01

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww dude, OK so no hands on an no feedback of that's the worst light I've ever used, I'd guess newer version was probably fixed.
Though that's a guess.
I don't have an E05, but now I'm curious... May have grab one tomorrow from local dealer, I know he's got them in plain and SS.
That'd be the one I'd avoid for weak thermals but that's just my feelings, no hard data to say it's worse then AL.

If you can wait a day or two, I'll get you some feedback on threads and light patterns etc?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only had mine for a month maybe but I do use it every day as my in the mouth light when inside cabinets and racks because it is bright enough and light(weight) enough too.

I have had zero issues with it and it has really grown on me so much so that it shares time with the ET aaa for now.

The Fenix is much smaller and easier to bite as it has no clip,a job I thought the ET could also do except they misrepresented the clip thing entirely.

Get one you will like it.

Except I thought you were committed to only HDS & Malkoff these days?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can wait a day or two, I'll get you some feedback on threads and light patterns etc?

Only gifted the E01...not a fan.

And sure, feedback welcome, thanks! I know the beam, Im really interested in reliability, but you already mentioned. Trying to get a consensus from different sources.

Except I thought you were committed to only HDS & Malkoff these days?

Absolutey the 2 best brands on CPF, but I am a flashaholic it's a progressive disease. :p

Plus I would really like something in the AAA format, USA made, not Peak and not that other brand.....but nothings out there.

Thus my default interest in the E05.

Something that drives me nuts about Fenix though.... "Open air brands" AKA Fenixlighting has a lifetime warranty on their Fenix lights.

They seem to be creeping into stores as well. The default Fenix warranty is 2 years, plus 6 months if you register. One more thing to look for if you pick one up.

Wonder if anyones used their warranty through Open Air Brands and how it has worked out? Cool they have a lifetime warranty and Im sure they will get lots of

sales because of it, but it makes things a bit more complicated even though it's a positive.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only gifted the E01...not a fan.

And sure, feedback welcome, thanks! I know the beam, Im really interested in reliability, but you already mentioned. Trying to get a consensus from different sources.

Absolutey the 2 best brands on CPF, but I am a flashaholic it's a progressive disease. :p

Plus I would really like something in the AAA format, USA made, not Peak and not that other brand.....but nothings out there.

Thus my default interest in the E05.

Something that drives me nuts about Fenix though.... "Open air brands" AKA Fenixlight Limited has a lifetime warranty on their Fenix lights.

They seem to be creeping into stores as well. The default Fenix warranty is 2 years, plus 6 months if you register. One more thing to look for if you pick one up.

Wonder if anyones used their warranty through Open Air Brands and how it has worked out? Cool they have a lifetime warranty and Im sure they will get lots of

sales because of it, but it makes things a bit more complicated even though it's a positive.

I got mine at REI and they pretty much just replace anything bought there that dies with no questions asked,worth the price of admission to me so far!

I kept trying the Inova XS there and they kept dieting but I did love that light when working.
So I switched to the E05 on the last exchange.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine at REI and they pretty much just replace anything bought there that dies with no questions asked,worth the price of admission to me so far!
I kept trying the Inova XS there and they kept dieting but I did love that light when working.
So I switched to the E05 on the last exchange.

Yeah, thats why Im looking for reliability info. I don't want t a situation where it :poof:s if at all possible. Just Trying to get a feel for the light.

Also, tell your XS I wish him the best on his new lifestyle change. loosing weight can be ruff!

I believe warranties have been bumped up five years now.

Was just going to link up and politely point out your wrong.

:cool: Tis True, 5 Years! Some Fenix dealers need to catch up. They got the old warranty up, but for the most part 5 years is more prominent.

Open Air Brands warranty is lifetime, kinda interesting. New Distributor, very aggressive advertising campaign: https://www.fenixlighting.com/support/warranty-repairs/

Last edited:

Dex Robinson

Newly Enlightened
FWIW (probably not much), I've been using the latest E05 for about three and half months and I've had no issues at all with it. I can't compare it with a previous model because it's my first E05.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up another e01 & new version e05 at rei yesterday, which isn't as good to me in features, design, or quality as my old 27l e05 I've since lost somewhere along the way. The e01 will have to suffice.

The longer I hang around, the less and less I'm finding is for me anymore.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ leon: I also would prefer a single mode, however Im sure the larger market doesn't.

Just got the E05 from REi. I wanted a small, common cell backup to my MDC.

Warranty card says 2 years...... Distributor is Fenix Limited, website says lights purchased after Jan 1st 2015 so I think Im good there.

Fit and finish are excellent. Optic is very nice. Threads needed cleaned and lube. Gritty. ALL MANUFACTURERS: STOP with the gritty threads. This damages the threads and orings and makes a poor impression. Buy an air compressor. We have to clean / lube and perform maintenance on a new light. Sometimes the grit leads to connection issues right out of the box.

After the cleaning & re-lube all is well. Tint is on the cream of green side. Beam isn't for whitewall hunting but is just fine for general use. Twisty action is smooth after maintenance.
The step down is fine for me this time round...I didn't like it when I tried the LD02 but it doesn't seem to bother me as I was aware of it before purchase.

A modern marvel of engineering: All 3 battery chemistries fit. It is possible!

No water test yet but looks good, rinsed it off in the sink as I got some dust on it and it was fine. I don't foresee any water issues.

The build quality seems fairly robust. Is it a Malkoff? Of course not. Time will tell how the durability is.....

For $20 bucks: Forrest Approved.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

lunas

Enlightened
I have had a blue 2014 model on my keychain for about a year i threw my keys down my tritium fob broke light has been fine dropped again to concrete still fine been dropped to desk a bunch of times finish is worn as anodized aluminum does my titanium version the anodized finish shows similar wear both still work great

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say it's growing on me.

The beam is definitely on the green side, but the flood & throw style work very well in both close up work yet

has enough punch to put some light ahead of you if you were hiking in the dark.

The compact size and overall quality seem great so far.

If your not carrying it on a key ring it definitely needs a fob or lanyard of some sort. This helps with operation and finding the little bugger.

You may loose tail standing if the attachment is to big, but on mine I have some very high quality 1/4" braided stretch cord. The knot on the end

stands the light @ a 30 degree angle for wall bounce instead of ceiling bounce. I dig it.

A perfect common cell backup to a great light Like the Malkoff MDC.

ven

Flashaholic
I have an eo5ss on my keys at times,tend to rotate every now and then(do find the DQG hobi stainless or spy a lot smaller/lighter for keys). Its held up very well,like new and has been dropped many times by my clumsy sausage fingers:ohgeez:I have a nice white,on the creamy side of ! coming out of the optic.Nice smooth head action:p on the light .

Little weighty but confidence inspiring all same.

Fenix as a brand i really like,when i look at similar chinese brands they better made imo anyway. The acebeam ec32vn just does not have the same quality as the pd35vn/pd35. Threads just not done as well.......For a good value,above average build.........fenix are a good option for flashaholics.

I equally like(maybe a tad more) my Tis on works keys

A nice solid feel again:)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im pretty selective of Chinese brands I even look at. Acebeam seems very "inspired" by other light manufacturers.

The only mainstream one's I know that come out with original designs are Fenix, Sunwayman, Olight, Zebralight & 4Sevens. Obviously 4 Sevens and Olight are very American orientated via David Chow, who always seems to have integrity with whatever he does.

If a company has enough integrity to push forward with original designs that are reliable, Im interested in at least checking them out and Fenix has a long standing track record of consistency, thus the E05 purchase.

In regards to AAA - Olights other offerings seem great, but the ITP seems much less reliable than the Fenix AAA offerings.

Make no mistake, Im a USA fan by default. My "Main Lights" are Malkoff or HDS which are CR123, but feel a need for a compact, reliable, common cell backup.

The E05 fits that roll well.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
The E05 is a nice step up from the E01 in terms of the tint, however, their guts aren't potted and one member have managed to shatter his inductor when the light fell on a hard surface, rendering it inoperative. Over the years I've bought at least a dozen E05s and gifted several away. I still have a few around the house, nice keychain light. No complaints, no failures either.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E05 is a nice step up from the E01 in terms of the tint, however, their guts aren't potted and one member have managed to shatter his inductor when the light fell on a hard surface, rendering it inoperative. Over the years I've bought at least a dozen E05s and gifted several away. I still have a few around the house, nice keychain light. No complaints, no failures either.

Thanks for the feedback. After much reading, it seems there was a bad solder in some of the earlier modle E05's ( thats going back a few years ).

However it looks good to go for the last several years...and the complaints relative to how many lights sold seems extremely low.

Did you happen to have a link to the broken one? Or is it this one? Wonder if that was an early or late model.

How long have your E05's been out in action?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts