Fenix L1s with "R" bin Luxeons (Black & Silver) for $29.99 @ LightHound

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Re: Fenix L1s with "R" bin Luxeons (Black & Silver) for $29.99 @ LightHound

Planterz said:
Guys, it's christmas time. Shipping can take a bit longer this time of year.

i realize that, however USPS should *at least* change the listed ship time for holidays, or at the very least put up some form of message on the website stating that due to increased demand, shipping estimates are no longer accurate during holiday seasons

the short reason is they just don't care, and since they're the only viable domestic mail carrier, it's not like we have a choice in the matter

....doesn't mean i have to like it though

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even with it's deficiencies, USPS Priority Mail is the still best value going by a long shot.

Sometimes it takes more than 2 days, but the vast majority of packages are delivered within three days. Yes, there are some that take longer (particularly at this time of year) but that's just the way it is. You're making a trade-off between guaranteed delivery schedule and cost.

If you *must* have it on a *guaranteed* day- then use FedEx or UPS expedited shipping, but be aware that they will cost you considerably more.

Priority Mail fills a niche for low cost 2-3 day residential deliveries, and there isn't another service that can touch it for the bang to buck ratio...

Peter

Babo

Newly Enlightened

MacTech said:
i realize that, however USPS should *at least* change the listed ship time for holidays, or at the very least put up some form of message on the website stating that due to increased demand, shipping estimates are no longer accurate during holiday seasons

the short reason is they just don't care, and since they're the only viable domestic mail carrier, it's not like we have a choice in the matter

....doesn't mean i have to like it though

Most folks I know are smart enough to understand that this is a busy
week for all shippers. Most folks I know wouldn't expect to have to be
told that.

You must be the guy the fast food places put that sign up for:

"Caution. Our hot coffee is hot.":sweat:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Likewise received myself so I hope all you posters from MA and NH did as well. My beam is very white. Also some people seem to want to compare this light to the much larger SL Polypro Lux and although yes the hotspot is not as bright as the polypro, the graduation to sidespill is much less abrupt making it easier to "see" with this light in my opinion. Not a big fan of the reverse clickie but assume there must be a reason why it is used.

Radio said:
I just got my order from Lighthound today :buddies:

MacTech

Enlightened

Babo said:
Most folks I know are smart enough to understand that this is a busy
week for all shippers. Most folks I know wouldn't expect to have to be
told that.

You must be the guy the fast food places put that sign up for:

"Caution. Our hot coffee is hot.":sweat:

i'm not even going to dignify this response with a sarcastic remark, i had a bad day at work today (fixing computers, if you must know, i'm *not* a burger-jockey) and am extremely pissed off, i'm liable to say something that will get me banned....

and yes, i *DO* understand that the holiday season is one of the biggest (if not *the* biggest) shipping seasons, and that shipments can take additional time

doesn't mean i have to like it

besides, to explain where i'm coming from here, i have *never* had a delivery arrive on the promised time, 3 day shipping takes 5-7 days, UPS usually has some BS excuse about how i live in an "extended delivery area" that is tougher to ship to on time, this, frankly is BS, as i'm only 10 minutes away from a rather large coastal New Hampshire city with a large ocean shipping port

this is the first package i have ever had shipped to me via USPS, i was hoping it would come in a timely manner, i no longer trust UPS as they take too long, i've had great luck with Fedex and DHL, but neither of those were options for this purchase, given the choice, i *do* pay extra for Fedex shipping, as they have been the *only* ones to reliably get packages to me in the promised time

so, this time i tried being logical and have the shipment sent to my work address, a much larger town than home, thinking that it'd get to me quicker as it doesn't have to go to a "remote location"

Babo, you don't know my past history with package shipments so don't be so quick to make snap judgements....

now to blow off some steam by playing a nice relaxing game of Command and Conquer; Generals and proceed to nuke the GLA into tiny glowing bits, after that, i may relax with a nice, soothing game of Postal 2; Share the Pain....where'd i put that shovel, got some pedestrians that need some SPANG!ing ;)

Radio

Modulated Moderator

Well, as I stated earlier, my lights arrived today. I loaded the two silver L1's from lighthound with the new lithium AA batteries as well as my old black L1p. Something very interesting happened, one of the silver L1's is actually whiter and brighter than my original black premium. If I did not have all three lights to compare side-by-side on new batteries it would be hard to tell. So evidently the claim that these use the same premium LEDs is true. Of course this just may be due to the Luxeon lottery but is still very interesting to say the least. I will be very curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience. I do notice some distinct differences in the beam pattern between the silver ones the original black premium. The new nonpremium is both have concentric rings at the edge of the flood field but the hotspot in the center seems to be the same.

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened

Radio said:
I will be very curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience.

I ordered two of the special L1's from lighthound and both of them have noticeable whiter tints than the two L1P's I compared them to.

Kenski

Newly Enlightened

This is the Fenix L1 with "R" bin thread, isn't it? Not the "USPS sucks" thread... am I in the right room?

My Fenix lights arrived today, and a quick side-by-side with my original L1P and the two new ones (one black, one silver) makes me a believer. They're definitely in the same ballpark.

I'll test them further in better conditions, later tonight. :grin2:

Kenski

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fenix experts, rather then start a new thread, I'll post here but why the reverse clickie? That is my only complaint about the light in my three hours of ownership. What I particularly don't like about it is that when on, just a very slight tap on the end will make it turn off (momentarily unless pressed hard enough to make it click).

SIG

Newly Enlightened

I ordered three lights late Saturday. I hope they arrive soon here in CA! I did not get confirmation of shipment, so I just emailed Lighthound to confirm.
With the holiday season, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a little longer to arrive - bummer.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sig, I ordered on Sunday, got confirmation on Monday and shipping info on Tuesday. This doesn't look good, I hope Lighthound can explain.

MacTech

Enlightened

Sorry about flying off the handle earlier, had to deal with a major <censored> customer at work today which put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day....

nuking some terrorists in C&C was just what i needed :) MMMMMM....pretty mushroom clouds

hopefully, tomorrow i can add my impressions of the L1 to this thread....

Zen

Newly Enlightened

I ordered mine on Sunday and I just got it today. So, mine took 4 days for delivery from TX to San Francisco.

magic79

Enlightened

I ordered two on Saturday and they were shipped the 17th. I ordered another and some batteries Monday, shipped same day, the 19th.

I received the order from the 19th today, but have not yet received the order from the 17th! :huh2: I'm in Washington, across the Columbia from Portland, OR.

The L1 "Special" appears to be virtually the same as the L1P in my first observation.

Kenski

Newly Enlightened

magic79 said:
I ordered two on Saturday and they were shipped the 17th. I ordered another and some batteries Monday, shipped same day, the 19th.

I received the order from the 19th today, but have not yet received the order from the 17th! :huh2: I'm in Washington, across the Columbia from Portland, OR.

Me, too. Ordered two (plus some goodies) on Sat. night, they arrived today. I'm a bit North of San Francisco.

I'd be more inclined to blame the USPS than LightHound for the first-shipped/last-to-arrive issue. I've had them do that to me before.
LightHound has been a good shipper, in my experience. :goodjob:

This was a great deal on great lights! I'm thankful for getting in on the deal before they were gone.

Happy Holidays!!!! :grin2:

Kenski

SIG

Newly Enlightened

I got a prompt reply from Lighthound - My lights were shipped on Monday! I had an issue with reading my email (hotmail). The text above the paypal detail did not properly display for some reason - my bad!!! I'm embarassed. Lighthound did no wrong! I'll be keeping an eye out for the mail carrier tomorrow!

MacTech

Enlightened

well, the mail's come and gone, no Fenix, rage level increasing.....

looks like i'm going to have to live vicariously through others on this thread until the bloody stupid USPS gets off it's arse and gets me my sodding package

zapper

Enlightened

I ordered mine in the evening at the first notification of the sale and got it two days later. Not to rub it in but I live in Houston so 1st it's close and 2nd it's a major city. Anyway, I also compared it to an L1P V2.5 and an L2P and all three seem about the same. The throw for all, outside, was almost indiscernable and overall output in a dark room was about the same. All unmetered though so there may be measureable differences but not reall noticeable in normal use. Great price on a great light, so I ordered a second one in Silver when the site was up and the few minutes the silver were still available. Thanks and sorry to the rest who weren't as lucky.

PS. My brother works for the USPS and he's putting 14 Hr days. All the3rd class and bulk gets put off to the last so only 1st class and priority as well as packages are being processed first. Again, the closer to the shipping point and larger the city the shorter the time. Good luck and happy holidays to all!!

Last edited: