Flashaholic
Good point, orionlion82 -

I've always felt that the reason flashlight mfrs. include
new batteries in their package is to make the

--- all-important First Impression ---

a real eye-opener !

Something to make the user say "WOW" !

When somebody hasta' scrounge up a couple of AA's from
their TV remote-control, they simply won't get the full-effect.
smile.gif

I think Energizer L91's would certainly achieve this.
grinser2.gif

Are u listening, Fenix ?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the good work, Chevrofreak.

It's comforting to see the L1D-CE lasts about the same amount of time on Turbo as it does on High. This is as expected, since both settings put out essentially the same amount of light.

r0b0r

Enlightened
L91s cost considerably more than alkalines. I see no real point in inflating the cost of a product with these.

With the L2D there's also the fact when first fired up, the voltage from the two L91s causes the lower levels to be pretty much identical - that gives the impression of shoddy design.

Considering the battery life when using NiMH is still exceptionally good, I don't think the extra cost can be justified.

What fenix SHOULD do is make it very clear that the preferred food of these flashlights is NiMH or Lithium - Alkalines are certainly usable but do not allow for optimum performance.

Hell, if they stuck a condensed version of a Chevro-esque graph on the packaging \ website that'd be absolutely awesome!w

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
r0b0r said:
Sorry to be repetitive, but I'm curious as to the tail end of the L1D's runtime.
Once the output can no longer exceed that of Low - how much time is there until there's no light at all?

Thankyou very much :)

(If no one has tried this, I'll get a flat-ish alkaline \ NiMH and see how it goes.... might not be good for the NiMH but it doesn't bother me to loose one for science)

Alkalines can run a very very long time at the low output level because even though the light output dropped dramatically on the high levels the cells still have quite a lot of power left in them. If you use the light intermittently the cell will have a chance to recover more and the tail at the end will be shorter than it would be with a straight through run like I do when testing.

I don't have any actual data right now as I'm still quite swamped with runtime tests. I'll see if I can do another alkaline graph allowing it to run completely dead. It may be a while before I can get to it though.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
kurni said:
I'm a noob; am I right in interpreting the following graph that L1D CE is more efficient than P1D CE?

Fenix%20L1D%20CE%20vs%20P1D%20CE.png

Many thanks,
KK

That is a possibility, but I think it is more likely that one of the cells doesn't have the claimed capacity, or that one has more than the claimed capacity.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
That is a possibility, but I think it is more likely that one of the cells doesn't have the claimed capacity, or that one has more than the claimed capacity.
Is it also possible that one of the lights on the graph has a Cree with a much better forward voltage? I understand there is quite a bit of variation in the Vf of these Crees.

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
and about the 14500 750 mah cell, it's not really dangerous for the cree led the 3,6 voltage for a long time ?

And the L1D ce got 3 modes too with 14500 ? max, high and low if i see your great graphs chevrofreak ?

thanks you

kurni

Enlightened
zerafull said:
and about the 14500 750 mah cell, it's not really dangerous for the cree led the 3,6 voltage for a long time ?

And the L1D ce got 3 modes too with 14500 ? max, high and low if i see your great graphs chevrofreak ?

thanks you

I'm always curious if it's actually hurting the LED; I'm guessing that at least 3.6V overdrives the LED. 3.6V bypass Fenix circuit so you loose the low, medium & high; you only have turbo, strobe & SOS.

Some of us have contacted AW for 3V 14500, but it seems that he's still waiting for more demand.

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
thank you kurni
but the sos mode is in "general mode" (60 lumens) and not turbo mode (120 lumens + strobe) it's strange :)
it's not a problem the over-voltage ? okay thank

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
zerafull said:
The current-draw makes the problem, not the voltage. direct-drive in a fenix means that there is no current-regulating circuit or resistor, and that's the danger for the LED.

X_Marine

Enlightened
As is said "A picture is worth a million words". I think Chevrofreak has out done this with his graphs..:rock:

Hellofajob.. :goodjob:

I would be curious as to you setup for logging all the info. I would guess a dmm with usb port for logging, or scope?. Hey just guessing..

ThanX
X.

orionlion82

Enlightened
Burgess said:
Good point, orionlion82 -

I've always felt that the reason flashlight mfrs. include
new batteries in their package is to make the

--- all-important First Impression ---

a real eye-opener !

Something to make the user say "WOW" !

When somebody hasta' scrounge up a couple of AA's from
their TV remote-control, they simply won't get the full-effect.
smile.gif

I think Energizer L91's would certainly achieve this.
grinser2.gif

Are u listening, Fenix ?

after a bit of reading up- lithiums in series in the hands of everyone that buys a flashlight might be a rather - well, unsteady idea...

Burgess

Flashaholic
Re: Lithiums in series

That's why i specified Energizer Lithium L91 cells !

No problems on record of THOSE cells causing any safety issues !

There are several different types of "Lithium Batteries".

Trouble is, most people don't know the difference.

They just see the words Lithium Battery, and get scared !

faint.gif
eeksign.gif
str.gif
aaa.gif

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
I've run a lot of discharge tests on NiMH cells. Almost none have the claimed capacity, and some are more blatantly overrated than others. But I also found something that most people don't realize -- there's a large difference in how completely various chargers charge the cells. So even people using the very same cells can get some pretty different results.

Please add my thanks for all the great work!

c_c

thei

Newly Enlightened
There's no logical reason for me to want to know… but does anyone know how long the L1D-CE would run on strobe (on NiMH's)? I've been playing around leaving all the lights off, and it on strobe, which is great, and got curious about the runtime. I'd hazard a guess it'd be roughly double that of it on turbo, minus however much it takes to run the strobe circuitry?