Fenix LOD - better than LOP SE?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Fenix is doing a tap dance...razzel dazzal us...just want to get rid of expensive inventories of LS`s before rolling the Cree stuff out in force. "D" might soon stand for "discontinued"

Last edited:

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
The actual outputs are the same as the LOP SE but with the extra modes. However the digital P1 is announced as not being PWM and current regulated so maybe this will be the same?

Mike89

Enlightened
Don't need it, nor do I need the SE version. I kept it simple to my needs and just got the simple L0P. Powerful little simple light - twist on, twist off, without the gimmicks. I just don't particularly care for this twist on, twist off for 1 1/2 seconds, twist on, etc business. Gimme the light, let me turn it off and on, and forget all this other stuff.

Seems a way will always be found to make something simple complicated.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walt175 said:
For demonstartion purposes I ran my LOP-SE on a Li-ion at Photon Fest 7. It is impressively bright, but it gets hot FAST. Not a whole lot of heatsinking. Not something I would do on a regular basis.

Does it just drop to direct drive, or do the levels still work?

NetMage

Enlightened
Switching modes requires twisting faster than 1.5 secs, not waiting. It is really quite easy to switch modes by twsting quickly.

When you wait over 1.5 secs, it resets to start over with the next on/off at high.

Mike89 said:
Don't need it, nor do I need the SE version. I kept it simple to my needs and just got the simple L0P. Powerful little simple light - twist on, twist off, without the gimmicks. I just don't particularly care for this twist on, twist off for 1 1/2 seconds, twist on, etc business. Gimme the light, let me turn it off and on, and forget all this other stuff.

Seems a way will always be found to make something simple complicated.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
NetMage said:
Switching modes requires twisting faster than 1.5 secs, not waiting. It is really quite easy to switch modes by twsting quickly.

When you wait over 1.5 secs, it resets to start over with the next on/off at high.
Yeah.. I didn't understand Mike89's explanation and problem with having a light with simple options either. :thinking: It's not complicated.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll just wait for the AAA fenix cree......Fenix LOP CE???????????????

yeah my 100th post, now i'm a flashaholic!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

Last edited:

josean

Newly Enlightened
dchao said:
:wow:

80 Lum in that tiny body (without much surface area to dissipate heat). Just don't get your fingers burnt!

According to the Fenix website, the output levels are 12 / 4.5 / 30 lm No 80lm at all.

The Jetbeam AAA (Jet-mu) has output levels of 5 / 20 / 45 lm

If the Lux-III has an efficiency of about 30lm/W, in order to obtain 80 lm, and considering they have excelent regulation circuits, you need to extract 3W from batteries. Too much for a single AAA cell.

null07

Newly Enlightened
Thujone said:
Does it just drop to direct drive, or do the levels still work?

Levels works, I am "killing" my L0P-SE this way, using from time to time 10440:grin2: . I know it wasn't recommended, but what a brightness :). Observing speed in launching new models by Fenix, I'll rather buy earlier new, more advanced AAA flashlight than my L0P-SE will be completely dead.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
I ve heard the L0D will work on with Li-ion battery. The lumen will expectantly higher than the 12/4.5/45 level.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have no use for 5 levels, I would like a CE version. I'm undecided between the SE and regular i.e. 1 level or 3 levels, for a non-edc (it would be in my belt pack). I think they should get rid of 3 levels and have a 2 level.

paulr

Flashaholic
fenixlights.com doesn't list the SE or regular version any more? They're discontinued and there's just the D? :thumbsdown:

I think I'll wait for a CE before dealing with this.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
I use to have the L0P and L0P-SE. The multi-level in the SE is pretty useless for me. I personally prefer the JIL multilevel system. It uses the Flupic processor. I can set the JIL to remember the setting of power level that it was last use. I find this is a great feature and more useful.

planex

Newly Enlightened
I am curious why this light and the lop(se) use pwm for dimming instead of current regulation. Is it because of the lower voltage/energy of the AAA battery? I am hoping that next year there will be AAA and AA models that are current regulated with Cree leds. That is when I will buy more of these lights.