FENIX PD12 !

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping to read about the new Fenix PD12 but why do people constantly hijack a thread,in this case someone wants to tell the world they happy with there olight,i am pleased for you and if i wanted one i surely would look out for it.:whistle:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the PD12 but on the Olight S10 the pocket clip is reversible so, if you're concerned about turning the flashlight on accidentally against the keys, just flip the clip around and slide it on top of the button that way is protected from any contact with the keys, but you can always physically lock-out the light by unscrewing the tailcap partially.

gwhw.jpg

yes you could also remove the battery, that works too

:D

personally i don't wanna have to jump through hoops. it's really quite simple: recessed switch like zebralight

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix's "neutral-white" is still cool-white.
Burst mode looks interesting. "Whether the flashlight is on or off, press and hold the side switch for one second to activate the Burst mode until the switch is released."
So, when you let go of the switch it reverts to the previous mode?

The Olight S10 also uses a burst mode, and it steps down [ramps down] to approximately the same 200 lumens before 10 minutes.
These don't seem targeted at the same demographic. The Olight might be more sophisticated-see moon mode. The Fenix has a much more substantial lanyard attachment.
I would hope that if you slightly unscrew the head, this PD12 is locked out.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix's "neutral-white" is still cool-white.
Burst mode looks interesting. "Whether the flashlight is on or off, press and hold the side switch for one second to activate the Burst mode until the switch is released."
So, when you let go of the switch it reverts to the previous mode?

The Olight S10 also uses a burst mode, and it steps down [ramps down] to approximately the same 200 lumens before 10 minutes.
These don't seem targeted at the same demographic. The Olight might be more sophisticated-see moon mode. The Fenix has a much more substantial lanyard attachment.
I would hope that if you slightly unscrew the head, this PD12 is locked out.

What are you basing that off of? The xm-l T6 neutral is definitely warmer than the cool white xp-g's or xm-l's. Unless the xm-l2 T6 neutral is radically different I don't think you can call it cool white unless anything other than true warm leds are cool white.

If anything I'm hoping the neutral xm-l2's they use are every so slightly cooler than the neutral xm-l in my E50. Just a tiny tiny bit!

And it truly depends on the emitter. My "neutral" Fenix E21 is WAY warmer than my neutral E50. The neutral E21 may as well be considered warm white. It's almost like an incandescent led tint. I'm sure there are much warmer led's but that light is the closest I have to a true warm tint and it's considered a neutral tint. I think it's a neutral xp-e

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
I was hoping to read about the new Fenix PD12 but why do people constantly hijack a thread,in this case someone wants to tell the world they happy with there olight,i am pleased for you and if i wanted one i surely would look out for it.:whistle:

They may as well rename the thread, I was hoping to read about the PD12 also.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
yes you could also remove the battery, that works too

:D

personally i don't wanna have to jump through hoops. it's really quite simple: recessed switch like zebralight

agreed. which is why the s10 lockout is so nice and easy, just hold the button for 3-4 seconds and it's locked out..... same to get it out....

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
They may as well rename the thread, I was hoping to read about the PD12 also.

are you not reading about it? should others users with useful input toward lights in the same size, battery, options silent themselves? if a thread about a light should only be limited to praise it may as well be an advertisement for said light. the functions and specs of the light have been fairly given, i dont see why comments comparing competition and similar lights would be out of bounds unless youre a fenix dealer.

braddy

Enlightened
"Praise" is your made up word, indicating that you missed the actual point of my post.

I agreed with the other poster that the thread had gotten off track, but thanks for the cattiness.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you not reading about it? should others users with useful input toward lights in the same size, battery, options silent themselves? if a thread about a light should only be limited to praise it may as well be an advertisement for said light. the functions and specs of the light have been fairly given, i dont see why comments comparing competition and similar lights would be out of bounds unless youre a fenix dealer.

It is you who are wrong, the thread started off about a new light from Fenix then within short we have someone hijacking the thread about his beloved olight. As no one yet has had the Fenix in hand comparison is boring and in my book a total waste of ink.

When i want to read a comparison report i will seek it out but this thread has been hijacked and i have to read blah blah to get to the Fenix.

Phosphor and Braddy are both correct,you may well have the time to read pointless back slapping about an olight when i selected the post to read about a new light from Fenix which i intend to buy.:tired:

I really am pleased for the thread hijacker and his Olight and i hope they spend a lot of dark nights in harmony.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you basing that off of? The xm-l T6 neutral is definitely warmer than the cool white xp-g's or xm-l's. Unless the xm-l2 T6 neutral is radically different I don't think you can call it cool white unless anything other than true warm leds are cool white.

If anything I'm hoping the neutral xm-l2's they use are every so slightly cooler than the neutral xm-l in my E50. Just a tiny tiny bit!

And it truly depends on the emitter. My "neutral" Fenix E21 is WAY warmer than my neutral E50. The neutral E21 may as well be considered warm white. It's almost like an incandescent led tint. I'm sure there are much warmer led's but that light is the closest I have to a true warm tint and it's considered a neutral tint. I think it's a neutral xp-e
I should have included some history, for those that don't know Fenix's history.
The fabled TK20 was very neutral, definitely in the 4000-4250K. CCT depends on how hard the led is driven. In the LED section there have been plots of the change in CCT versus drive, and they all increase CCT with increasing drive-with a general southwest movement of color coordinates.
The E21 was still neutral, slightly cooler than TK20. The E50 is Fenix's new 5000K=neutral, which for the rest of the lighting industry/universe just isn't so.
Maximum efficiency of LEDs seems to be circa 6500K, which is fine if you are making a dive light, where the higher CCT output actually throws further than, which can be a safety issue. Optimal 'color rendition' underwater is why there is UV lighting/strobes.
Philips definition of neutral is 3500-4500K, Cree is 3700-5000K. So let's have a big tent: >3500-neutral-<5000K So today's neutral offerings are usually 4250K +/- 250K.
Fenix should just lead the way by making 5000K their standard cool-white.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
It is you who are wrong, the thread started off about a new light from Fenix then within short we have someone hijacking the thread about his beloved olight. As no one yet has had the Fenix in hand comparison is boring and in my book a total waste of ink.

When i want to read a comparison report i will seek it out but this thread has been hijacked and i have to read blah blah to get to the Fenix.

Phosphor and Braddy are both correct,you may well have the time to read pointless back slapping about an olight when i selected the post to read about a new light from Fenix which i intend to buy.:tired:

I really am pleased for the thread hijacker and his Olight and i hope they spend a lot of dark nights in harmony.

Does anybody own a PD12:confused:...Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't understang how someone wants to read full reviews or reports about a product that, at the moment, nobody has it because it's expected to be release until Dec 2013, that's probably the reason why nobody is responding to the post with a full review, I can't even find information on the Flashlight Reviews Section of this forum.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody own a PD12:confused:...Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't understang how someone wants to read full reviews or reports about a product that, at the moment, nobody has it because it's expected to be release until Dec 2013, that's probably the reason why nobody is responding to the post with a full review, I can't even find information on the Flashlight Reviews Section of this forum.

If you read the post correctly,the op is informing us all that Fenix has introduced a new light and there can be no mention of a review as you/me/we are all reading about it as the copy and paste of the bulletin then completely off topic someone chirps in they are happy with there Olight which a complete and utter high jack of the thread.

For the life of me i cannot see what is relevant that someone likes there Olight when we are being informed of a new product.:confused:

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
@mcnair55 Actually, I found it relevant. I came here looking for info on the new Fenix PD12, but it wasn't for a review as much as it was for "is it worth pre-ordering one". I'm finding that 'perhaps, but not so fast'. Since I haven't been keeping up with this forum like I should be, the reference to a comparable light that's already out there was quite nice to see. I came looking to see what others thought of the details released for the PD12 so far and that is what I'm finding.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
@mcnair55 Actually, I found it relevant. I came here looking for info on the new Fenix PD12, but it wasn't for a review as much as it was for "is it worth pre-ordering one". I'm finding that 'perhaps, but not so fast'. Since I haven't been keeping up with this forum like I should be, the reference to a comparable light that's already out there was quite nice to see. I came looking to see what others thought of the details released for the PD12 so far and that is what I'm finding.

Well good for you as i found it blocking up my valuable time,if you take that attitude we will be here for ever.Every time we are informed of a new light we will get well i am happy with so and so.Comparisons are best done as comparison not high jacking a thread for no reason.:shakehead

By the way i am going to order one because i think Olight are ----,just my opinion.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well good for you as i found it blocking up my valuable time,if you take that attitude we will be here for ever.Every time we are informed of a new light we will get well i am happy with so and so.Comparisons are best done as comparison not high jacking a thread for no reason.:shakehead

By the way i am going to order one because i think Olight are ----,just my opinion.:thumbsup:

Yes, now you're beginning to understand... FOREVER mwahahahahaha!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I really want one because, yeah, I too am kind of a Fenix whore. I wish this light had a 1/4 inch thread mount on the back like those few lights from sunwayman.

Does anyone know of any other lights that have 1/4 threads on the back like the C15A "Dolphin"? I kind of want one of those at the moment just because on my large tripod I could easily make an overhead desk lamp with it if the power goes off at my apt. which it does several times a year if I get storms. And you can add that glass breaking spike on the back if you want.

Oh well. I'll wait to see a review of the PD12. I always like the styling of Fenix lights. I like that they are using a hard button on this one.

EDIT: WHOA... I didn't know sunway had a separate photo equipment division! I just saw this head looking at the c15a dolphin:

o700.jpg

Sunwayphoto apparently. Hmmm... interesting. They have a custom L bracket for Nikon D800's!... Ugh... over 100 dollars though.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I really want one because, yeah, I too am kind of a Fenix whore. I wish this light had a 1/4 inch thread mount on the back like those few lights from sunwayman.

Does anyone know of any other lights that have 1/4 threads on the back like the C15A "Dolphin"? I kind of want one of those at the moment just because on my large tripod I could easily make an overhead desk lamp with it if the power goes off at my apt. which it does several times a year if I get storms. And you can add that glass breaking spike on the back if you want.

Oh well. I'll wait to see a review of the PD12. I always like the styling of Fenix lights. I like that they are using a hard button on this one.

EDIT: WHOA... I didn't know sunway had a separate photo equipment division! I just saw this head looking at the c15a dolphin:

o700.jpg

Sunwayphoto apparently. Hmmm... interesting. They have a custom L bracket for Nikon D800's!... Ugh... over 100 dollars though.

I am having the PD12 as soon as it hits the shelves will let the armchair bandits tell me all about it and read a proper review by someone who actually has it in hand rather than what they piece together without actually ever seeing one in the flesh.I bought a couple of Fenix today as xmas gifts.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Why wont Fenix support the use of RCR123 ?

Just received a response to your question from a Fenix representative:

"Fenix doesn't recommend using any rechargeable 123 batteries in their lights. You won't get the runtime performance. When you get the light, there is a battery chart in the box and it specifically says don't use them. Thanks for your inquiry. The pre-sales on the PD12 have been very brisk. Lots of people looking forward to this light"

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received a response to your question from a Fenix representative:

"Fenix doesn't recommend using any rechargeable 123 batteries in their lights. You won't get the runtime performance. When you get the light, there is a battery chart in the box and it specifically says don't use them. Thanks for your inquiry. The pre-sales on the PD12 have been very brisk. Lots of people looking forward to this light"

I run my Fenix on rechargeable 123 batteries,to date not been a problem.