FENIX PD12 !

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same thing: Surely the xm-l2 and drivers can handle a rechargeable cr123. I wonder if it's simply them wanting to not have to list lower run time etc. Oh well, somebody test it when you get one :)

I probably would only use primaries in it anyway if I got one-- I don't even have a charger right now that can charge rcr123's, only 18650's-- but I still would like to know too :)

Enlightened
Fenix just released this! PD12 ·81mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
81mm is way too big for single CR123! It is longer than some AA lights and fatter than all of them. The E15 is less than 60mm and most AA lights are under 20mm diameter wow.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
81mm is way too big for single CR123! It is longer than some AA lights and fatter than all of them. The E15 is less than 60mm and most AA lights are under 20mm diameter wow.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I like your username. I'm surprised it hasn't been taken until now.

Enlightened
Sorry to go off-topic, but I like your username. I'm surprised it hasn't been taken until now.
Thanks for the vote of confidence lol. One thing I notice in the specs is 3600cd intensity so it does make use of the extra length for bigger reflector and more throw. I am just not sure if people buy CR123 lights for big throw on the key chain. Different strokes for different folks but it just seems so close in size to the smaller 18650 lights. For reference the AA ZL SC52 is smaller than this thing.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix just released this! PD12

zndk.jpg
From Fenix:

The Fenix PD12 Flashlight generates 360 lumen max output in a go-anywhere size. Three brightness levels and a burst mode are controlled by the side switch.

·Cree XM-L2 (T6) neutral white LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Use one 3V CR123A battery
·81mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
·48-gram weight (excluding batteries)
·Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
·Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
·Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
·Side switch on the head for simple and convenient operation

I want it.....

Wish it came with that glove.

You think anyone wants a punch to the face while I'm wearing that bad boy?

Enterich

Newly Enlightened
Although the user manual is not yet available on Fenix's own page, I managed to find it somewhere. It pretty much says:

Press the mode button to turn on. Press it for 0.5 seconds to turn off.

For burst mode, hold the button for one second, whether the light is on or off.

Can anyone else see a problem here?

Plus, it's going to be a £40 light. Not very good value compared to my TK22 which I recently got for £58.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the user manual is not yet available on Fenix's own page, I managed to find it somewhere. It pretty much says:

Press the mode button to turn on. Press it for 0.5 seconds to turn off.

For burst mode, hold the button for one second, whether the light is on or off.

Can anyone else see a problem here?

Plus, it's going to be a £40 light. Not very good value compared to my TK22 which I recently got for £58.

So without seeing it and using it and comparing it to other similar size lights you say it is not good value.I find your comment unnecessary and silly with your comparison torch which is different genre anyway a bit like my best mates dads brothers uncles wife has a good torch.:nana: I will make my judgement when i have purchased and used it for a while.

Enterich

Newly Enlightened
So without seeing it and using it and comparing it to other similar size lights you say it is not good value.I find your comment unnecessary and silly with your comparison torch which is different genre anyway a bit like my best mates dads brothers uncles wife has a good torch.:nana: I will make my judgement when i have purchased and used it for a while.

Sorry to be such an utter hellraiser with my flagrant posting that is clearly compromising CPF's server resources like some DDOS attack.

I use my TK22 every day. For me, it's a large 'EDC' light. It also has the XM-L2, like this PD12 we're discussing. It seems like you're missing my point, which is that the PD12 is priced too steeply. I too was looking forward to this light, but the UI doesn't make sense to me, and nor does the price.

Does anyone else have a good word to say to me, or shall I just leave you flashaholics to it?

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to be such an utter hellraiser with my flagrant posting that is clearly compromising CPF's server resources like some DDOS attack.

I use my TK22 every day. For me, it's a large 'EDC' light. It also has the XM-L2, like this PD12 we're discussing. It seems like you're missing my point, which is that the PD12 is priced too steeply. I too was looking forward to this light, but the UI doesn't make sense to me, and nor does the price.

Does anyone else have a good word to say to me, or shall I just leave you flashaholics to it?

Pretty much ever light in Fenix's line that isn't the E series has always been priced at least 50 dollars or higher. It's just the way it is.

meatyinternalbacksupport

Newly Enlightened
there that big fat PROTRUDING button just begging to be pressed accidentally. why can't they make properly recessed buttons like zebralight does???

Just had the button rip out of mine in my pocket. Not even had it a week yet. Looks like friction pulled it out of the mount while taking it out of my pocket. Not terribly impressed at the moment : (
Love the light apart from this major indiscretion. Sent an email to process a refund and am now looking for an alternative...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire light prices make no sense to me but having never used one or owned one i cannot make the judgement if they are worth the money.There are plenty of small edc lights made by other makers who fall into the Fenix pricing bracket and at the end of the day no one is forcing you to buy one.

Where did you get the UK costing from as i cannot find a UK stockist with stock.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neutral white tint; that's enough for me to seriously taking this light in consider. I really hope Fenix will offer more lights(I would like ALL of the models) in a neutral option!

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
Neutral white tint; that's enough for me to seriously taking this light in consider. I really hope Fenix will offer more lights(I would like ALL of the models) in a neutral option!

I totally agree with you, but it is normal for most users to select the more powerful lights while cool white emitter lights pump out more lumens in comparsion to NW lights, tough decision for flashlights manufacturers to make, or they could provide more choices for flashaholics.

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
I'm seriously considering this as a real edc flashlight on my key chain. My keys and wallet are always with me. My PD32UE is clipped to my pants or jacket, sometimes get left behind when switching either in a hurry.

And NW too. Cool ... well not cool ....

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah I like the NW tint. Can't blame the manufacturers simply going after marketing numbers in most cases though. In reality, I think it's hard to say a meager 10% increase or so with a CW vs NW is important to your eyes.

For instance, my PD32UE 400lm vs 740lm settings are not that different in terms of usage. I'm not "missing" anything on the 400lm setting, having to switch to the 740lm. And we're talking 75% increase here, not the tiny difference between CW and NW. They succeeded in brainwashing so many people!

In fact, I would be fine if they maxed it out at 400lm to stay with only 4 modes to cycle thru.

So again, I'm happy to see a NW on the PD12!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree with you, but it is normal for most users to select the more powerful lights while cool white emitter lights pump out more lumens in comparsion to NW lights, tough decision for flashlights manufacturers to make, or they could provide more choices for flashaholics.

Thanks! Yes, it's sad that it's too much about lumens, undependent of how useful the lumens are.

Yeah I like the NW tint. Can't blame the manufacturers simply going after marketing numbers in most cases though. In reality, I think it's hard to say a meager 10% increase or so with a CW vs NW is important to your eyes.

For instance, my PD32UE 400lm vs 740lm settings are not that different in terms of usage. I'm not "missing" anything on the 400lm setting, having to switch to the 740lm. And we're talking 75% increase here, not the tiny difference between CW and NW. They succeeded in brainwashing so many people!

In fact, I would be fine if they maxed it out at 400lm to stay with only 4 modes to cycle thru.

So again, I'm happy to see a NW on the PD12!

You are telling some very true things there! Actually my personal opinion is that the higher lumens of cool white often isn't relevant. In many cases I have experienced that I need less lumens with a warmer tint to find the brightness to be adequate. A neutral or warm tint(yes it can be TOO warm :) is so much more comfortable for the eyes and with the included higher color rendition it's easier to see what I really want to see.

Worth to think about in the comparison between PD32UE and PD35; 850lm is less than 15% higher output than 740lm. A difference which otherwise use to be considered as barely noticable even with the same tint. And in this case the slightly higher brightness has a cool tint. Therefore it's a justified question if PD35 really is an upgrade from PD32UE. Isn't it mainly a cool tinted successor?

Last edited:

funkychateau

Enlightened
I was wondering the same thing: Surely the xm-l2 and drivers can handle a rechargeable cr123. I wonder if it's simply them wanting to not have to list lower run time etc. Oh well, somebody test it when you get one :)

I probably would only use primaries in it anyway if I got one-- I don't even have a charger right now that can charge rcr123's, only 18650's-- but I still would like to know too :)

Probably it has a boost-only driver, and Fenix may not like what happens with that particular circuit when forward-biased.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably it has a boost-only driver, and Fenix may not like what happens with that particular circuit when forward-biased.

Could you point me to a thread that explains more about various drivers? I'd like to learn more about them. Thanks!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it has been a couple of weeks or so and i notice i can now buy the light in the UK,has anyone who has bought one and used it for any length of time any additional comments to make,i will order mine tonight regardless but look forward to owners quick findings,have noticed one or more mini reviews on the tube but they are just blah blah traders trying a quick sell.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? Hmm.. I wonder if that can happen easily. It looks like the button is pretty much flush with the aluminum so it must have snagged on something somehow in your pocket pretty well. If this happens a lot I'd be worried, but maybe it's just a fluke.

I do agree it would make sense for them to machine a "lip" of aluminum there somehow so it's more recessed.

I also just realized the light is bigger than I subconsciously thought. This led me to just look at the Fenix E15 which I never really even noticed or looked at until now. DANG that light is tiny for a single cr123 light. Pretty nice edc light too for sure. It's TIR lens though so pretty floody surely.

Last edited:

Latest posts