Fenix PD36 TAC, ALB-10, ARB-L21-5000U First Impressions

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the past when I was cycling my choice fell on Fenix CL09 mini lantern.
It is sold with a 16340 rechargeable battery (the supplied Fenix battery has a hole to insert a Micro_USB cable) but can also work with CR123 primaries.
In addition to the white light it has a steady red light and a 5 lumens red flashing light.
You can attach it to the belt, or to the backpack attached to the MOLLE attachment.
For that purpose I was comfortable with it.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have a MagicShine tail light (which seems to be liked to Fenix in some way, the packaging is similar & orange/black) and the DEcelerometer makes it blink when I brake. Only trouble is there are like 3x3 modes, and it does not retain the preferred mode, so starting it up is a real PIA to find the mode I want.

Last edited:

fuyume

Enlightened
Quick update: The night before last, I had to go out on my bicycle for a fairly long ride, a couple of hours, to drop off my rent check at the realty office downtown.

I knew the next day I would have to do the same in order to pickup my paycheck and deposit it so the aforementioned rent check doesn't bounce, so when I got home that night, I decided to finally recharge the battery for the first time since I got it.

September 11 to November 1 without a recharge, and never hit the blinking warning that the battery was low.

mpetry912

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Fenix TK76 and very disappointed with it. VERY finicky to get it to work at all, the 2 button UI is not remotely intuitive, and the battery holder does not make positive contact with the brass rings on the back of the head. Very disappointed. I have a modded TK75 with the 3 emitter head, it is a great light.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I got my PD 36 TAC last Friday. Very impressed with it. For years I've been edcing a Four Sevens Quark Burst Mode QP2L-X with 780 max lumens. At the time I bought that, it was pretty much the max for a light small enough to pocket carry. This new one is BRIGHT. There were some reviews I read where they said "don't buy it for the turbo mode". When I have it in the Duty mode, I can most definitely tell the difference between the last two settings. And in us it one night while looking for a dropped tool at work, I had it on the 3000 lumen setting and never noticed it dropping down to the next level in several minutes of use. But MAN! Did it ever get hot! It's a bit on the long side compared to that Four Sevens light.

Anyhow, I ordered an Acebeam E70 a few days ago. It's advertised as 4600 lumens, but the review here showed it hitting 5300. So the PD 36 may not be my edc for very long. This light is also more comparable to my old edc in length. The PD 36 will become my garage light, replacing the very old Olight M30.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD36 Tac is great but in my opinion is missing a true low mode which in a light of this size it's a must.

Also it's great to have a mode that starts on high and one that has memory but it would be great to have one that start on Low too - a real low, not 30 lumens.

In other words, it would be nice to have a PD36 Tac with a Tactical mode (high), a Duty mode (memory), and a Camping mode (low).
It would also be nice to have a shortcut to high or turbo in both the Duty and Camping mode.

This way it would become a real all-rounder with one hand operation, mechanical mode switching. It wouldn't tailstand but can't have it all.

fuyume

Enlightened
The PD36 Tac is great but in my opinion is missing a true low mode which in a light of this size it's a must.

Also it's great to have a mode that starts on high and one that has memory but it would be great to have one that start on Low too - a real low, not 30 lumens.

In other words, it would be nice to have a PD36 Tac with a Tactical mode (high), a Duty mode (memory), and a Camping mode (low).
It would also be nice to have a shortcut to high or turbo in both the Duty and Camping mode.

This way it would become a real all-rounder with one hand operation, mechanical mode switching. It wouldn't tailstand but can't have it all.
I agree that a 5 lumen mode would be a great addition to the PD36 TAC, but I decided that for my purposes, it wasn't important. I don't need or want one flashlight to do absolutely everything, and even if I were the sort of professional user the PD36 TAC is primarily designed for, it wouldn't be my only duty flashlight. I would definitely carry a second light for low level uses, and leave the PD36 TAC mechanically locked to Tactical Mode.

Anywhere I am going to have the PD36 TAC, I am also going to have my E12 v2.0, so that covers my 5 lumen mode needs. If I were carrying a flashlight on duty, I'd probably go with the E20 v2.0 as my secondary/backup light. And I wouldn't ever go camping with the PD36 TAC, anyway—too large, too heavy.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is true that the PD36 is heavier but the increase is weight is not that significant compared to the 18650 lights and the weight runtime ratio is very good thanks to the 21700. That is to say that being too heavy for camping, or other applications, is relative and depends on how and how much you plan to use the light and what brightness you need.

The "Tactical" is just a tagline and the UI isn't any different from the old Fenix lights.

Sure the fact that one of the modes comes on on high only allow somewhat suits the light to a certain use.

That said, the PD36 TAC is not designed for professional use: is designed for whoever likes to have a light with two modes and that can be operated with one hand.

Might be why Surefire, a company that truly designs lights for tactical users, calls "tactical" only lights that have only one brightness level. Or designed lights such as the E2D and E1D. Other than that, "tactical" and "professional" are just overused marketing terms.

Last edited:

fuyume

Enlightened
It is true that the PD36 is heavier but the increase is weight is not that significant compared to the 18650 lights and the weight runtime ratio is very good thanks to the 21700. That is to say that being too heavy for camping, or other applications, is relative and depends on how and how much you plan to use the light and what brightness you need.

The "Tactical" is just a tagline and the UI isn't any different from the old Fenix lights.

Sure the fact that one of the modes comes on on high only allow somewhat suits the light to a certain use.

That said, the PD36 TAC is not designed for professional use: is designed for whoever likes to have a light with two modes and that can be operated with one hand.

Might be why Surefire, a company that truly designs lights for tactical users, calls "tactical" only lights that have only one brightness level. Or designed lights such as the E2D and E1D. Other than that, "tactical" and "professional" are just overused marketing terms.
The only definition of "tactical" that matters to me is my own definition. The criteria for this are:
1. Must have a mechanical lock. That is, locks both on and off.
2. Must have one brightness mode. The point of a tactical light is twofold: disabling and illuminating a target.
3. Must have one button. You don't put two triggers on a firearm. A life-critical flashlight should not have more than one button.
4. Must be sturdy enough to be used as a truncheon.

I couldn't give a rat's *** what the manufacturer calls "tactical". Most of them are full of poop.

"That said, the PD36 TAC is not designed for professional use"

LOLWHUT.

The PD36 TAC meets any reasonable definition of a light designed for life-critical tactical use. Yes, it has more than one mode, but the modes are selected by a mechanical lock-out switch. When you put the device in Tactical Mode, you get one brightness level: 2000 lumens. If you press and hold the button, you get 2000 lumen Strobe mode.

As far as camping/backpacking are concerned, if you want to hump a 21700 device into the wilderness, that's your business. I don't. I won't carry anything bigger than a AA into the backcountry.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only definition of "tactical" that matters to me is my own definition. The criteria for this are:
1. Must have a mechanical lock. That is, locks both on and off.
2. Must have one brightness mode. The point of a tactical light is twofold: disabling and illuminating a target.
3. Must have one button. You don't put two triggers on a firearm. A life-critical flashlight should not have more than one button.
4. Must be sturdy enough to be used as a truncheon.
You might want to get yourself a Maglite then!