Fenix TK or PD 35's or is there a better suited brand?

Andyeilio

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, this is my first time asking for advice, so please let me now if i haven't covered something, or need to improve my post. Thnx

I am looking to upgrade my flashlights.

I am trying to decide between a Fenix tk35 and PD35, and whether the additional £30 is worth it.I have searched the forums,there are mixed reviews for fenix.I noted in one thread that the Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2 would be a better light, I hadn't previously considered other brands

Thanks in advance
==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store or online. I am located in the UK

2) budget: upto £100 / $160

3) Format:_______X_I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained)

4) Size .___X_SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).__X__MEDIUM -

5) Emitter/Light source:__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?.__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al) but I would like more information on power sources.
7a) N/A

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? 700 lumens minimum
__x__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: __x__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: .__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: _x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):__x__I don't know, I don't mind tail click, but do like forward clicky for ease

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. _x__I want multiple light levels. __x__I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating x_Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA,

15) Water resistance)_x___IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions___x_Emergency kit (long standby periods)__x__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? No thanks.

I have re-submitted this to tidy it up using a laptop rather than phone, apologies for the mess of the earlier post, its hard to see it on a small device. lesson learned.

Many thanks in advance

andy

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK35 and PD35 are two different lights altogether: I think first of all you'd want to figure out whether you need a 2x18650 or 1x18650 light
based on usage, light weight, runtimes, size, spare batteries. Once you decide the type of light, then I'd compare similar models across different brands and take into consideration performance, UI, spacing between brightness levels, tint, beam profile, form factor etc.

Last edited:

chazz

Enlightened
+1 on what Labrador72 said.

One light you might compare to the PD35 is the Nitecore P12

Andyeilio

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

My main aims, other than in the spec list above is to get a 800 lm approx light, that's as compact as possible. It doesn't really matter to me whether its AA or 18650, although AA would me more convenient, I want to start using 18650s ultimately.

I have been researching the Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2, and I really like the size/output ratio, its something along these lines that I a looking for.

Thanks again.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then definitely rule out the 2x18650: on a general basis they offer better runtimes, handle heat better, have a bigger reflector offering more throw and still enough but are heavier, not pocket-size, and require at two 18650 batteries - ideally you'd have 4 to 6 not to be left in the dark for a few hours when you need to discharge them.

If you want at least 800 lumens, you won't get them from a 1xAA light, not even running it on a 14500 Li-ion battery and it would give you a very short runtime anyway too!
I'd look at the following lights:
Fenix PD35 which you already mentioned
Nitecore P12 which is very similar in size but with a slightly different UI
Klarus ST2C
FourSevens Quark QT2L/QP2L - I think they only take 17670 and 18650 though

Not sure if there are lights from other brands which offer "800 lumens" in such a compact size: there probably are a few but haven't read about them. The EagleTac D25LC2 XM-L2 U2 I think is close to 700 lumens and is not far away to 800 lumens.
I'm sure Zebralight also have hit the 800 beyond lumens threshold with some of their 18650 lights.

Then you have a whole series of 1x18650 lights which have a bigger head so are bulkier a tad bit heavier too: they are not as comfortable to carry in a pocket but they can still fit (depending on the pocket) and offer a few advantages, generally better throw thanks to the bigger reflector and better heat dissipation thanks to the larger size.
In this category you have
EagleTac TX25C2 which you already mentioned - I think is still kind of compact too
Klarus XT11 XML-2 U2 version hits the 800 lumens
Klarus ST11
Olight M22 Warrior
FourSevens Maelstrom MM-X
Thrunite Lynx
ArmyTek Predator

I would choose mainly based on the UI and form factor you like best and how much throw vs flood is important for you. Some of these lights are also available in neutral white others only in cool white so if you have preference there, it's going to narrow down your choice.

Hope that helps and enjoy picking the light that works for you! : )

Andyeilio

Newly Enlightened
I really like the look and spec of the eagle tac tx25c2 and the O light M22 warrior, as advised above.

So considering these two, its sacrifice a little in terms of 41mm diam bezel on the O light, but would give longer throw, or the more compact eagletac.

Does anyone have opinions on the strengths of these two brands?

I would also really appreciate some advice on light colour, what are the pros and come for neutral, white etc.

Thanks for helping me too narrow it down, the choice and breadth of spec is unbelievable and hard to navigate through.

Thanks all

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both EagleTac and Olight are good brands. I think EagleTac might include more accessories in the package when you get a light kit.

I'm not the best person to explain tint differences but in short: the main perceivable difference is color rendition for some colors. A lot of people like neutral white because of the color rendition, others only buy neutral white or warm, others don't really care or prefer cool white. Coll white tends to be a tad brighter. Without seeing it in person it's hard to appreciate the difference - check on youtube videos comparing neutral and cool white beams, it will give you an idea. For good explanatons, check this recent thread, especially the posts by TEEJ are very informative http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...S-military-ever-use-neutral-white-flashlights

Andyeilio

Newly Enlightened
Im decided. after reading and watching the excellent review, its the G25C2 for me, thanks to everyone on this excellent forum who has replied.

Does anybody know a good dealer in the UK for eagletac, i get most of this type of kit from heinnie haynes, but they are selling the flashlight in only one tint, and no kit.

thanks

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at the Fenix LD41 4xAA,apart from the horrible shape it is a cracking good light,had a play with one in the shop when i bought my PD35.In use although 520 lumens the difference of the PD35 on turbo 850 lumens was barely noticeable.

Lumens is like pixels in digi cams,muppets think higher the pixels better the pics lol

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im decided. after reading and watching the excellent review, its the G25C2 for me, thanks to everyone on this excellent forum who has replied.

Does anybody know a good dealer in the UK for eagletac, i get most of this type of kit from heinnie haynes, but they are selling the flashlight in only one tint, and no kit.

thanks
In the UK Ledfiretorches and Flashaholics both carry EagleTac.
Especially for EagleTac lights you want to check out nkon.nl.
Check amazon.de and a few German flashlight online retailers also sell EagleTac lights.

Last edited:

Andyeilio

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I got it, the G25C2, and I'm very impressed.

The quality, function, design, UI are all top notch.

After reading Selfbuilts review and watching the video, my mind was made up.

I didn't get the kit version, will get the diffuer later if I really need it.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice, I wonder how long it will be before I buy my next light?

Andy