Fenix TK75 vs. RC40

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I needed to express this!! To me it is an easy decision regarding the RC-40 or the TK-75[New version] having confidence it will be as advertized!

ok,,,,,,RC-40 - $379.00, 3500 Lumens, Beam distance 776 yards, with 126,000 candela. TK-75- $179.00 [WITH PROMO], 2900 Lumens, beam distance 754 yards with 119,500 candela.

For the RC-40 you are spending twice as much, have a flashlight much bulkier[almost 4"] , getting only 600 more lumens, 22 more yards throw and 6500 more candela. Easy choice for me!! Obviously, we need to see "Patriot" or someone do a test side by side for full validity and proof!!:hitit::thumbsup:

Not exactly, let's not get carried away.

Don't forget that the tk75 does not come with any batteries. It takes 4x18650 plus you need a charger. That's easily another ~ 45-50 bucks minimum. You need to pay attention to keeping the batteries matched etc. 200 plus let's say 50 bucks comes to 250.

When I posted goinggear had the rc40 on sale for ~ 277. The rc40 comes with everything you need, including battery, which you don't need to babysit to the same degree and you can charge in your car via 12V etc.

If one had not already invested in 18650's and charger it would be a much, much closer call.

Don't think the rc40 is on sale anymore so the comparison is different now.

However, both products are geared to different requirements. If you are into SAR work and need more flexible charging opportunities ... the rc40 may be a better choice plus it has superior output. If you are a "typical" Fenix enthusiast, like the smaller form factor and have already been exposed to 18650s then the tk75 maybe better suited. It depends.

*edit* the goinggear anniversary sale is still on. So, my example is still valid. rc40 @277 versus the tk75 @~250ish. Your call.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Not exactly, let's not get carried away.

Don't forget that the tk75 does not come with any batteries. It takes 4x18650 plus you need a charger. That's easily another ~ 45-50 bucks minimum. You need to pay attention to keeping the batteries matched etc. 200 plus let's say 50 bucks comes to 250.

When I posted goinggear had the rc40 on sale for ~ 277. The rc40 comes with everything you need, including battery, which you don't need to babysit to the same degree and you can charge in your car via 12V etc.

If one had not already invested in 18650's and charger it would be a much, much closer call.

Don't think the rc40 is on sale anymore so the comparison is different now.

However, both products are geared to different requirements. If you are into SAR work and need more flexible charging opportunities ... the rc40 may be a better choice plus it has superior output. If you are a "typical" Fenix enthusiast, like the smaller form factor and have already been exposed to 18650s then the tk75 maybe better suited. It depends.

*edit* the goinggear anniversary sale is still on. So, my example is still valid. rc40 @277 versus the tk75 @~250ish. Your call.

Like you said, it DEPENDS on what you are using it for! I use it [TK-75] for mostly walking my Siberian Husky[in the woods/isolated areas where he can kill small animals for our dinner!!. As I stated in earlier posts, I do not want a bulkier light that also weighs twice as much.

In regards to the RC-40 being a superior light, I disagree! The "New" TK-75 will be closer to the output[candelas, lumens, beam distance- in which I compared in earlier posts] of the RC-40.One may think the RC-40 is superior because of battery pack, output ect, one may think it is inferior because of weight, length, overall bulk!

We all have opinions and can analyze stuff to death! I see your points, it is a close call[!!!] and a matter of what ones needs are.

I have invested in chargers.I got Two nitecore I4 Chargers for $16.00!! Original on sale and one for free from a screw up by dealer! I also have Two Trustfire 4 slot chargers from last year.

I think the batteries kind of even out. The RC-40 battery pack is $63.00 to replace.

Anyway, as time progresses[I already have Twelve lights in 9 months of this!!] I will probably get the RC-40!!!! :thumbsup::eek:. By that time the girlfriend will have gotten rid of me for all this money I spend on this new hobby/addiction!!

So all of this will be a moot point!!! LOL, LOL, LOL!!!! :hitit:

Have a nice day,,,,,,,,Ciao,Roberto,,"Capo di Capo"

Capolini

Banned
I forgot one thing that I briefly mentioned before. The TK-75 has battery kits, RC-40 does not!!

With One [1] kit my "Turbo" time improved from 1h 10 min. to 2 h 54 min!! Two and a half times more run time!! More batteries, less stress on each one results in more efficiency!

Also, the TK- 75 [with One kit] is still more than an inch shorter [10 5/8"] than the RC-40[11 3/4"] and only weighs 32 oz[2 lbs.] compared to 52 oz.[ 3lbs. 4 oz.]!!

I REST my case!!! lol,lol,lol!! :thumbsup: :)

Last edited:

JargonGR

Newly Enlightened
LoL Capolini I am also relatively new to flashlights and damn it is addictive. In 9 months about 20 lights (including bike lights) and lots of batteries (over 100 rechargeables) as well as chargers in the likes of MAHA C9000, iCharger 106b and an XSTAR.

Battery wise I am full of 18650s so price wise the TK75 + extension (later) makes better sense for me since I already have a Black Shadow Terminator (XML U3 bins) for high output as well.

Capolini

Banned
LoL Capolini I am also relatively new to flashlights and damn it is addictive. In 9 months about 20 lights (including bike lights) and lots of batteries (over 100 rechargeables) as well as chargers in the likes of MAHA C9000, iCharger 106b and an XSTAR.

Battery wise I am full of 18650s so price wise the TK75 + extension (later) makes better sense for me since I already have a Black Shadow Terminator (XML U3 bins) for high output as well.

Hi JargonGR,

Holy Sh..!!!! 20 lights in 9 months!!! We both better go to "Flashaholics anonymous"!!! lol :eek:. You have almost twice as many as I do!! You better slow down!

I also have the Black Shadow terminator,used it again last night for the walk with my Siberian! It is a nice light for $105.00, normally $150.00.

Where is your location young man? If you turn all your torches on I could probably see you at night!

take care,,,,,,,,,,Roberto,,,,"Capo di Capo" :thumbsup:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TK75, and I'm not even considering the RC40. Even if I didn't have either one, though, I'd still take the TK75 hands down, just because of the size. I don't need a club, I just want a light. The TK75 is just about borderline...it stills fits in a cargo pocket (mostly), but if I bought the RC40 I don't know that I'd ever use it, and I don't have ANY shelf queens, if I don't use it I get rid of it. I use my TM26 and TK75 for night hikes, and to show off what modern flashlights can do. I just can't see carrying a light as big as the RC40, and the size actually takes away from the WOW! factor anyway - most people expect that a light so large will be insanely bright, while the TK75 is a bit of a sleeper in comparison.

Unless you put them side by side, I doubt most people could even tell the difference in output/throw. Even side by side, as in Patriot's video, the difference does not appear to be very large (noticeable, but not huge). With the XM-L2 upgrade for the TK75, the difference will be even smaller anyway.

I view the proprietary battery pack as a very strong negative - I like having standardized solutions. In fact, I try very hard to avoid buying non-standardized items in all areas - it just creates more problems, and the best way to express your opinion on such matters is with your dollars. You are at the mercy of Fenix if you need a replacement, you can't use the battery in a different light, you need to have a charger just for it, etc...none of these issues are present with 18650s.

Since the TK75 doesn't step down, I think the thermal management is a non-issue. LEDs have a long enough life, even over-driven or at high temps, that I am not at all worried about the life of the LED. By the time it gets significantly weaker (LEDs don't burn out, just gradually dim [with normal people, I know plenty of CPFers have managed to create a "friode"]), there will be a light that completely blows both the TK75 and the RC40 out of the water, making this argument moot.

To each his own - I'm just trying to offer a rationale for MY preference, and this post should not be taken any other way.

Capolini

Banned
I have the TK75, and I'm not even considering the RC40. Even if I didn't have either one, though, I'd still take the TK75 hands down, just because of the size. I don't need a club, I just want a light. The TK75 is just about borderline...it stills fits in a cargo pocket (mostly), but if I bought the RC40 I don't know that I'd ever use it, and I don't have ANY shelf queens, if I don't use it I get rid of it. I use my TM26 and TK75 for night hikes, and to show off what modern flashlights can do. I just can't see carrying a light as big as the RC40, and the size actually takes away from the WOW! factor anyway - most people expect that a light so large will be insanely bright, while the TK75 is a bit of a sleeper in comparison.

Unless you put them side by side, I doubt most people could even tell the difference in output/throw. Even side by side, as in Patriot's video, the difference does not appear to be very large (noticeable, but not huge). With the XM-L2 upgrade for the TK75, the difference will be even smaller anyway.

I view the proprietary battery pack as a very strong negative - I like having standardized solutions. In fact, I try very hard to avoid buying non-standardized items in all areas - it just creates more problems, and the best way to express your opinion on such matters is with your dollars. You are at the mercy of Fenix if you need a replacement, you can't use the battery in a different light, you need to have a charger just for it, etc...none of these issues are present with 18650s.

Since the TK75 doesn't step down, I think the thermal management is a non-issue. LEDs have a long enough life, even over-driven or at high temps, that I am not at all worried about the life of the LED. By the time it gets significantly weaker (LEDs don't burn out, just gradually dim [with normal people, I know plenty of CPFers have managed to create a "friode"]), there will be a light that completely blows both the TK75 and the RC40 out of the water, making this argument moot.

To each his own - I'm just trying to offer a rationale for MY preference, and this post should not be taken any other way.

Great job young man!! :clap:

You brought up a few more points that I did not think of! One of which was in "Patriots" video comparison, there was NOT much difference. So, when I get my "New" TK-75 tomorrow, like you said, it will be even closer in comparison which I mentioned several posts ago.

I also like your point about the battery pack.

I look forward to when "Patriot", "Subwoofer" or someone else does a review of the TK-75 VS. the RC-40.

Lastly, your point along with one of my main reasons for choosing the "New" TK-75 instead, and that is the weight and bulkiness of the RC-40! Even if my Siberian was not using my left Arm, because of all the reasons aforementioned, do not think I would want it instead of the TK-75! :D:clap:

Finally, I would like to "strike that from the record", when I said a few posts ago that I would eventually get the RC-40!!!

Ciao,,Roberto,,,,"Capo di Capo"

Last edited:

JargonGR

Newly Enlightened
I see the TK75 with its extensions and my stock of 18650s as a tool with huge run time, flood and throw. I also see a lot of fun in getting one with at least 2 extensions although I know they are not needed unless Doom Day arrives (heck 3 would be needed then LOL!). Honestly though, I have to say that most of my friends are equally impressed by my Nitecore EC1 compared to the Blackshadow Terminator due to its small size compared to its output not to mention a Tank E7 009 I have on lithium battery. I was planning on getting a pure thrower light next round but after lots of thought when the time for the next purchase comes, it will be the new TK75 mostly due to more usefulness of the dual characteristics beam (flood and throw), the great thermals and run time while retaining reasonable size. I am sure the RC40 will also be great but for me the integrated battery is a no go since I am very serious of personally choosing, managing and charging my lithium batteries in a specific manner. Not to mention that you can upgrade your cells as newer come out.

Capolini, I live in Greece so I guess 20 lights won't cut in order to seem yet........hehehe.

Capolini

Banned
I see the TK75 with its extensions and my stock of 18650s as a tool with huge run time, flood and throw. I also see a lot of fun in getting one with at least 2 extensions although I know they are not needed unless Doom Day arrives (heck 3 would be needed then LOL!). Honestly though, I have to say that most of my friends are equally impressed by my Nitecore EC1 compared to the Blackshadow Terminator due to its small size compared to its output not to mention a Tank E7 009 I have on lithium battery. I was planning on getting a pure thrower light next round but after lots of thought when the time for the next purchase comes, it will be the new TK75 mostly due to more usefulness of the dual characteristics beam (flood and throw), the great thermals and run time while retaining reasonable size. I am sure the RC40 will also be great but for me the integrated battery is a no go since I am very serious of personally choosing, managing and charging my lithium batteries in a specific manner. Not to mention that you can upgrade your cells as newer come out.

Capolini, I live in Greece so I guess 20 lights won't cut in order to seem yet........hehehe.

Thanks for suggesting other lights comparable and/or better than the terminator.

Wow!! Greece,are you an American living in Greece? My parents have been there, sure it is beautiful. I have been to Italy Three Times,have family there!

I guess you would need thousands of lights for the beams to reach me from Greece!:thanks:

ciao,,,Roberto,"Capo di Capo"

p.s. I get my new TK-75 tomorrow,,,,,I will give you a run down of it overall and compared to the original by next weekend!

Svoloch88

Newly Enlightened
I needed to express this!! To me it is an easy decision regarding the RC-40 or the TK-75[New version] having confidence it will be as advertized!

ok,,,,,,RC-40 - $379.00, 3500 Lumens, Beam distance 776 yards, with 126,000 candela. TK-75- $179.00 [WITH PROMO], 2900 Lumens, beam distance 754 yards with 119,500 candela.

For the RC-40 you are spending twice as much, have a flashlight much bulkier[almost 4"] , getting only 600 more lumens, 22 more yards throw and 6500 more candela. Easy choice for me!! Obviously, we need to see "Patriot" or someone do a test side by side for full validity and proof!!:hitit::thumbsup:

Well, I bought the RC 40 but do not have the TK75. I was going to first buy the TK75 but Patriot's review of the RC 40 sold me on it. He shows the RC 40 compared to the TK75, not the XM-L2 version ofc but the XML one. Noticeable difference in throw. The cooling capability and decreased stress on the battery of the RC40 made it my choice.

Last edited:

JargonGR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for suggesting other lights comparable and/or better than the terminator.

Wow!! Greece,are you an American living in Greece? My parents have been there, sure it is beautiful. I have been to Italy Three Times,have family there!

I guess you would need thousands of lights for the beams to reach me from Greece!:thanks:

ciao,,,Roberto,"Capo di Capo"

p.s. I get my new TK-75 tomorrow,,,,,I will give you a run down of it overall and compared to the original by next weekend!

I am actually a Greek living in Greece.

Great that you are getting the new TK-75 and we will have the opportunity to see a comparison between the new and the "old". I don't expect the TK-75 to beat the Blackshadow Terminator in raw output to be honest, especially the XML-U3 version that I have, but I do expect it to have a different beam profile (more throw) and a seriously polished interface. With that said, it will beat it for sure when it comes to maintaining high output since the BST can't stay on high for long before it starts heating up too much (maybe 15 minutes). All in all the BST is an impressive light but the TK-75 (especially the new one) is a different beast altogether. I would have bought the TK-75 if I new of it back then but the BST was my first flashlight and I did not know much of the market 9 months ago.

Capolini

Banned
I am actually a Greek living in Greece.

Great that you are getting the new TK-75 and we will have the opportunity to see a comparison between the new and the "old". I don't expect the TK-75 to beat the Blackshadow Terminator in raw output to be honest, especially the XML-U3 version that I have, but I do expect it to have a different beam profile (more throw) and a seriously polished interface. With that said, it will beat it for sure when it comes to maintaining high output since the BST can't stay on high for long before it starts heating up too much (maybe 15 minutes). All in all the BST is an impressive light but the TK-75 (especially the new one) is a different beast altogether. I would have bought the TK-75 if I new of it back then but the BST was my first flashlight and I did not know much of the market 9 months ago.

Breaking News!!! I tracked my "New" TK-75 and it is "Out for Delivery"!!!

I am fortunate to have both the BST and the TK-75,ORIGINAL AND IN A FEW HOURS THE NEW!

They are both great lights, especially for the prices I got them for. However, there is NO doubt in my mind which one I would choose if I could only have one! That would be the TK-75 for several reasons:

It's throw[PBI-candelas] is superior. It has both thermal step down and a step down in modes for weakening batteries.

By my ignorance[!!!] I thought the BST also had that second step down. It was on turbo for about 1 hour 45 minutes and I said,,,WOW!! These new batteries are great!! Initially not realizing it stayed in turbo mode, but the batteries and the beam continued to weaken!

The overall light in the TK-75 seems to be cleaner and have more clarity. The LED in the BST [XML-U3] is actually a little weaker than the led the "New" TK-75 will have, which is XML-2 [U2]. That is according to the "Cree" website where they "rate" LED'S by bins according to brightness.I will also test the BST against my new TK-75 in regards to output/performance.

I like the overall quality and performance of the TK-75,easier to carry[even though it is bigger and heavier][not fond of that BTS HANDLE, BUT IT IS NECESSARY BECAUSE OF THE HEAT IT GENERATES], doesn't get nearly as hot.

What else?! The BTS definitely has more flood. This may sound strange!! The "Hot spot" on the TK-75 is much brighter and intense than the brightness of the flood that the BTS generates! One last thing, when I compared the overall "Output" of both lights, I was surprised that the TK-75 was not far behind considering that it max's out at 2600 lumens compared to 3500[reviews were more like 3100/3200]. I think I know why! The "Optics" in the TK-75 are also superior.

That is all I can think of for now. This is just my opinion! Do not get me wrong, I love both lights for what they do. The BTS cost me only $105..0 down from $150.00!! It was WELL worth it!

Final thoughts.nothing to do w/ lights!!

Europeans definitely are more versatile when it comes to speaking other languages!! Your English is very good!! Most Europeans on here are also good at English.

My cousin Carlo Camilli [lives in Italy] speaks Five languages and his Son Luigi speaks Three!! Here is the U.S.A.,most only speak one, English!! I speak One and a Half!! Enough Italian to get by!!!:crackup:

ciao,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo"

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Look forward to any review you give on the new TK75 capolini.

How good are you at making vids? Could we persuade you to do a vid like the other one by patriot(think that was his name).

Capolini

Banned
Look forward to any review you give on the new TK75 capolini.

How good are you at making vids? Could we persuade you to do a vid like the other one by patriot(think that was his name).

I am still trying to figure out on how to make a "Thread"!!! lol.lol. I emailed someone to help me with that! I know it is not that complicated but I searched on here, made some progress but never found any "Thread button" and could not complete my mission!

As far as making videos and doing something like Patriot,I am sorry young man I am not that qualified! I am still new to this.

What I will do is give a detailed, honest and written observation of the[hopeful] difference in beam distance, "PBI"[Peak Beam Intensity] and overall output compared to the original. I am going to do most, if not all of that tonight.

Several posts back I put what Fenix states as the improvements.

They are: New: 2900 Lumens, 754 yards[690meters] of throw and 119,500 candela
Original: 2600 Lumens, 662 yards[606 meters] of throw and 92,000 candela

Math is kind of simple. I hope there data is correct!! The only real difference here is the candelas. That is why I bought it, for the beam intensity! I hope I don't get let down!!

2 hours and 45 minutes to darkness! I will do the best I can with what I have!

What I am really looking forward to is "Patriot", "Subwoofer" or someone else qualified like them to do one of their awesome, informative, detailed reviews. I want to see the Original TK-75 VS. "New" TK-75 VS. RC-4O VS.Olight SBT-70 [SR95-UT]!!!!!:crackup::huh::twothumbs

ciao,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roberto,,,,,,"Capo di Capo"

JargonGR

Newly Enlightened
Capolini, I have no doubt of the superiority of the TK75 compared to BST, hence it's my next purchase. I found out that the XM-L2 is a better led compared to XM-L U2 through my Nitecore EA4 that I got from Illumination Supply and compared it to a "stock" EA4. All in all, it is more efficient and provides better max output as well.

Capolini

Banned
Capolini, I have no doubt of the superiority of the TK75 compared to BST, hence it's my next purchase. I found out that the XM-L2 is a better led compared to XM-L U2 through my Nitecore EA4 that I got from Illumination Supply and compared it to a "stock" EA4. All in all, it is more efficient and provides better max output as well.
How are you young man?! I need a job!! My last post was detailed, long winded and had some useless information!

Anyway,glad to hear[after reading about it] that the XM-L2[U2] worked better in your light! Only 1 hour 45 minutes from darkness when I can test them!

Hey, what the hell are you doing up at 1:15 in the morning?!!

ciao,Roberto........"Capo di Capo"

p.s. Illumination Supply[San Jose, CA.] that is where I got my BST!!! They shipped to you in Greece? How many Euros did you pay?

Last edited: