*** FENIX UC 40 UE *** Thoughts and Experiences

Face

Enlightened
Hi,

Could someone who has this light please help me as I am trying to determine if my UC40UE is faulty. My original rechargeable battery has already failed and I am awaiting a new replacement from my dealer.

If you run your light on a stand-alone 18650 and then on 2x CR123 does your Turbo seem the same brightness?

Using my eagletac 18650 my turbo mode is significantly lower than on 2x CR123 - the 2x CR123 is waaay brighter than the 18650.

If someone could try the same comparison for me that would be really really helpful.

All the best,

Face

Charles L.

Enlightened
from the reviews i looked at the fenix pd35 rated at 860 lumens is gonna be brighter than the 960 lumen rated SRT7. still, the extra features are cool, like the adjustable ring, but if you want the brightest light definitely go with the UC40UE.

I wouldn't be so sure about PD35 or UC40UE being brighter than the SRT7. A poster on Selfbuilt's SRT7 review traded in his PD35 for an SRT7 and stated both that he was glad he did and that he felt the SRT7 was brighter. It can be hard to judge relative brightness using eyes alone: beam patterns, tints, and the fact that our eyes don't see increases (or decreases) in brightness in a linear fashion make it mighty tricky.

Last edited:

BronzeLincolns

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't be so sure about PD35 or UC40UE being brighter than the SRT7. A poster on Selfbuilt's SRT7 review traded in his PD35 for an SRT7 and stated both that he was glad he did and that he felt the SRT7 was brighter. It can be hard to judge relative brightness using eyes alone: beam patterns, tints, and the fact that our eyes don't see increases (or decreases) in brightness in a linear fashion make it mighty tricky.

yeah i found the post in the thread. the poster favored the adjustable ring and the throw. i expect the uc40ue to not throw as well as the SRT7 but the SRT7 isn't getting the 308 meters advertised. its great for lighting an area but seems rather floody for long distances, which is okay with me as i wanted a light with some flood. from all the reviews i've seen here the pd35 has even been on par with some of the 1000+ lumen lights as far as brightness and flood. might not have the throw but i'm not really looking for that anyway.

hopefully the uc40ue lives up to its lumen rating like the pd35 seems to while even surpassing it in performance.

Last edited:

virtaz

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one of these from ebay last tuesday... cant wait to get my hands on it :D Had a PD32 UE before on EDC, Im hoping this one to be bit better ;)

Ted Roadstar

Newly Enlightened
Under 'charging' section. 'Remove dust plug...'
Actually, I had the same problem with my first UC40UE. The dust plug referred to, according to my Seller was the plug on the butt end of the light. There is no mention, whatsoever, of the battery end caps in the manual, I read it twice trying to find the problem. My light came without end caps and it was the battery that was defective from the factory; sent it back got a new one (with end caps) problem solved. Seller is working with Fenix, according to my information, to make the battery end cap issue very clear and a notice prominent in the packaging.

Ted Roadstar

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one of these from ebay last tuesday... cant wait to get my hands on it :D Had a PD32 UE before on EDC, Im hoping this one to be bit better ;)
The UC40UE is a great light. It does not come with a clip though; something I insist upon for EDC...just a heads up :)

rexet

Newly Enlightened
How long does it take to fully charge the light plugged to a standard desktop/laptop USB?

youlight

Newly Enlightened
How long does it take to fully charge the light plugged to a standard desktop/laptop USB?

Find in the user manual:
The LED indicator turns solid green when the UC40 (Ultimate Edition) is fully charged about 6 hours later

7screamingdiz

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I had the same problem with my first UC40UE. The dust plug referred to, according to my Seller was the plug on the butt end of the light. There is no mention, whatsoever, of the battery end caps in the manual, I read it twice trying to find the problem. My light came without end caps and it was the battery that was defective from the factory; sent it back got a new one (with end caps) problem solved. Seller is working with Fenix, according to my information, to make the battery end cap issue very clear and a notice prominent in the packaging.

I was about to post something similar. I just discovered these forums by looking for a solution to this problem, thankfully before I contacted the manufacturer, saving a lot of frustration on my part! I just received the UC40 in the mail, and now it's finally charging I can't wait to test it out!

Where one of the previous posters was mistaken, in the manual in context it reads "remove the anti-dust plug at the end of the UC40 to reveal the charging port"; nothing regarding the battery caps. As with the OP I was confused that when I plugged it in initially, the tail light was solid green, so I presumed it had arrived fully charged but the LED or switch may have been defective.

ilovehaters

Newly Enlightened
I was about to post something similar. I just discovered these forums by looking for a solution to this problem, thankfully before I contacted the manufacturer, saving a lot of frustration on my part! I just received the UC40 in the mail, and now it's finally charging I can't wait to test it out!

Where one of the previous posters was mistaken, in the manual in context it reads "remove the anti-dust plug at the end of the UC40 to reveal the charging port"; nothing regarding the battery caps. As with the OP I was confused that when I plugged it in initially, the tail light was solid green, so I presumed it had arrived fully charged but the LED or switch may have been defective.
They could be a bit clearer in the manual regarding removal of the dust caps. I just ordered another UC40 for the wife and will check the manual for any changes. I don't think there will be.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I have said to remove the plugs on the battery before use. It was that easy.

I do kind of wish it had a magnetic charging connector but this is still easy enough to use and doesn't need anything proprietary.

roger1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to this forum, I chose the UC40UE for my first quality LED flashlight. Up to now, I've only had LED Maglites and a couple of NEBO's.

I ordered 2 of them on eBay for $65 a piece and free shipping. One is for me and another is for a gift. One works fine and the other was DOA. I have to pay the shipping back for the defective one. That was their policy and it was clearly stated.

I do like this flashlight. It's so bright for something this small and that is way cool. I think the USB charging is really handy too.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic light and difficult to beat the size/weight to output ratio...Ended up trading mine back for a 920 lumen TK22 because I want something tougher with a crenelated bezel. If the UC45 were tri-fuel capable like the UC40 UE it would've gained preference over the excellent TK22 2014 Edition.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had mine a few months now and am very impressed! Prbly the most underrated 960 lumens I have ever seen. I am guessing lumens on turbo are actually close to 1100. The beam profile is excellent and distinct through all the modes. Two drawbacks are no pocketclip and the switch has GOT to be a bit bigger and raised out of the body more so you can easily feel for it in the dark. As it is now until you get lots of practice time with it then should the lights go out one night youll be stuck frantically feeling for the switch in the dark.

magicstone12

Banned
Ditto both of these. But my big question
Has anyone figured how to select/keep strobe going?
Not in limited Owner's Manual or any place else I've found. Any thoughts welcome :)
The manual says:"Whether the Fenix UC40(Ultimate Edition) is on or off, press and hold the mode switch button for over one second, it will enter into strobe mode; release the mode switch, it will return to the previous state.
"

Latest posts