First headlamp

circa

Newly Enlightened
Was walking through fred meyers after we went to a few outdoors stores, just browsing, and to what I find?

This 10$ gem.
10153353.jpg

Glacier's Edge 1w led. Is nearly identical to Dorcy headlamps but a couple bucks cheapier. Dorcy uses a luxeon rebel.

On the back(of the package) it says nichia led, would this 6 die led be a jupiter?
I believe its at 350mah.

It's about half as bright as my KD mag q5 at 350mah.
So what LED should I use to replace this?

Ajay

Enlightened
:welcome: Circa,

That looks like an easy mod. I am no expert but maybe swap it for a XPG R4 or R5. It's not going to be super bright but better that the nichia or what ever that LED is in there. I can't see the LED in the pic, too much flash.

Since it's plastic with a little metal for heatsinking I would not mess with the driver for now, see how the XPG works first.

Good luck and take more pics when you do the mod.

Ajay

mpittscampbell

Newly Enlightened
Just a word of warning: yeah, it throws a fair amount of light but it is a piece of junk:

1) The switch handle pops off easily (I've managed to find mine both times, returning my first one because I thought this was a manufacturing defect, not a feature!);
2) The lip at the bottom is too narrow and light cascades across your face and eyes, effectively reducing the available light by half (unless you hold your hand under it to shade your face, which defeats the purpose of having a HEADlamp);
3) the beam is aimed too high to allow you to read while in your sleeping bag or bed (unless you use one hand to aim the lamp lower, see #2).