First Look inside a 5W Luxeon Star!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
World Premier!!
A first ever look inside the "inner sanctum" of a 5-watt cyan Luxeon Star LED!

5w2.jpg

This is the die assembly shown mounted on its hexagonal metal slug.

5w1.jpg

And this is the die assembly by itself, magnified even more.

You saw it here first!!
Next: Firing the 5W cyan LS up. Stay tuned...

Well Cool!

You can certainly see where the BU "grill" pattern comes from with a focused projection of the light source :)

Vasaline, pantyhose? A few beers? A dab of controlled entropy? Somewhere along the line, that feller needs a little blur.

Dan saves Wayne's flashlight from getting pantsed in public. Yeah Dan!

i think i have a ring light for a microscope here somewhere.
might work better than a 6 led flashlight for illuminating the subject.
if i find it you can have it.

Originally posted by The LED Museum:
World Premier!!
A first ever look inside the "inner sanctum" of a 5-watt cyan Luxeon Star LED!

5w2.jpg

This is the die assembly shown mounted on its hexagonal metal slug.

5w1.jpg

And this is the die assembly by itself, magnified even more.

You saw it here first!!
Next: Firing the 5W cyan LS up. Stay tuned...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

OK,

Dumb question:

I got to see a 5W green and this is a Cyan. Will the white, with its phosphor coating, be less inclined to give the grill pattern? It seems that the only folks with whites are the professionals who don't bother to clue us civilians in on this stuff :)

It's hard speculating in the dark. Anyone got a light??

Originally posted by McGizmo:
OK,

Dumb question:

I got to see a 5W green and this is a Cyan. Will the white, with its phosphor coating, be less inclined to give the grill pattern? It seems that the only folks with whites are the professionals who don't bother to clue us civilians in on this stuff :)

It's hard speculating in the dark. Anyone got a light??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's a good question and so here's my stab in the dark on it. I don't know why but white LEDs have 2 little wires on top of the phosphor...They're small enough that you don't even notice them in the beam of most lights, but in some lights (Brinkmann Rebel comes to mind) the wires are *very* visible. So I would have to say, in answer to your question...

depends

depends on exactly where the phosphor goes and how it's applied etc. etc.

♪Shave and a haircut... two bits!♪

I overslept from my regular late afternoon nap and spent the last hour filling up my dream diary with some really bizarre stuff (have you ever wished you could fly as fast as a FA18 Hornet? Then go here and check out the bottom of the Aug. 2002 page); so I'm just now starting to scrounge around for a heatsink so I can try the 5-watter out. I've also got at least two more web pages that must go up tonight, so I've got a pretty full plate going.

The distortion and blurring in the pictures is caused by the dome of the LS; I would get better and clearer pictures if there was nothing in the way between my camera and the dice. But all the important details are visible, so I am quite satisfied with the photographs as they are.

Craig, now I'm confused...is this or is this not the light that McGizmo modded? Did someone else have a bare 5w Luxeon floating around??

confused.gif

Originally posted by Saaby:
Craig, now I'm confused...is this or is this not the light that McGizmo modded? Did someone else have a bare 5w Luxeon floating around??

confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Somebody else (who happens to live in Seattle) had one, and dropped it by this afternoon. I'll have it for the next several days, then he'll come and pick it up. The modded flashlight uses a green LS, this one is supposed to be a cyan. If I were to disembowel the modded light, it would cause irreversible damage to several components, and at least one would have to be re-milled from scratch to reassemble. This way, I won't have to screw with the flashlight to get the pictures I wanted.
smile.gif

What is the voltage and current requirement for these penta-watters? Looks like a good beginning for a Klingon Death Ray flashlight. Maybe I'll wait for these to become available before I build my 4 to 6 device lantern...

WARNING: DO NOT LOOK INTO LED WITH REMAINING EYE !

/ed brown in Hemingray, Brookfield and Whitall Tatum Country
cool.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif